Nx-Otica crossover issue

Metfit77@gmail.com

Nx-Otica crossover issue
« on: 30 Jan 2024, 12:01 pm »
Hey everybody (sorry had to say it)

I finished the assembly and wiring of my upgraded nx-otica. They have been playing for 72 hours and something is wrong. I can't seem to figure out what it is. The best way I could describe the sound is noisy and shouty. Any ideas on what could be causing this? There arent any issues with my system as my x-statiks sound great when I plug them in. Both speakers don't sound right.

-my soldering skills are very mediocre. could this be causing it? wires are twisted together then soldered.
-could there be an error with my crossover layout?
-error in polarity? I did follow the instructions (reversed polarity on tweeter at speaker level, etc.)

I will take some pictures of the crossover later.

This is my second crossover build and I wish instructions were more straightforward. Like a drawing of how each part is wired together and laid out on crossover board vs a diagram. (I did ask) This was for me (and my budget) a very expensive DIY project and so far has been very frustrating and time consuming. Based on my experience, I would never recommend a project like this to any of my friends. My first crossover was the av-0 and that came with better instructions for the crossover. The crossover for my x-statiks were pre-made. I did upgrade them.

If someone has any suggestions that I can try before I start over from scratch or a drawing of how everything is connected, that would be greatly appreciated.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Nx-Otica crossover issue
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2024, 02:41 pm »
I'd suggest taking some detailed photos of crossover and wires at back of the drivers and sending a message to Hobbs. They've always been super helpful with technical questions. Also at a very moderate level try running your ear along each driver to see if there are some that might not be playing correctly. Probably something simple that won't need a complete re-work. I mean, they didn't catch fire and are actually playing sound through them, so it's not a total bust. Keep us posted what the problem was so that anyone else in the future can also learn from the situation.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2024, 03:36 pm »
Hey everybody (sorry had to say it)

I finished the assembly and wiring of my upgraded nx-otica. They have been playing for 72 hours and something is wrong. I can't seem to figure out what it is. The best way I could describe the sound is noisy and shouty. Any ideas on what could be causing this? There arent any issues with my system as my x-statiks sound great when I plug them in. Both speakers don't sound right.

-my soldering skills are very mediocre. could this be causing it? wires are twisted together then soldered.
-could there be an error with my crossover layout?
-error in polarity? I did follow the instructions (reversed polarity on tweeter at speaker level, etc.)

I will take some pictures of the crossover later.

This is my second crossover build and I wish instructions were more straightforward. Like a drawing of how each part is wired together and laid out on crossover board vs a diagram. (I did ask) This was for me (and my budget) a very expensive DIY project and so far has been very frustrating and time consuming. Based on my experience, I would never recommend a project like this to any of my friends. My first crossover was the av-0 and that came with better instructions for the crossover. The crossover for my x-statiks were pre-made. I did upgrade them.

If someone has any suggestions that I can try before I start over from scratch or a drawing of how everything is connected, that would be greatly appreciated.

Email us pictures of your crossovers and we'll figure it out and get you up and going.

g3rain1

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2024, 05:27 pm »
Also double check your driver wiring, you've got 3 groups, some with inverted polarity, a parallel group, a series-parallel group, there's a lot of room to make a mistake there.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2024, 06:31 pm »
Hi there,

I will be happy to help you with crossover, please send me a detailed photo of your crossover. You can email me or text me that picture and I will try my best to help you and troubleshoot.

Frederick
frederickdelrosario111@gmail.com

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2024, 11:26 pm »
Metfit77, FYI... here's some of the work Frederick does.  I can twist and solder... but I can't do this...

Whether you reach out to Danny / Hobbs or Frederick, I'm sure you will get it figured out.  You've got good people at the ready.

For anyone wondering, these are for an NX-Otica MTM...

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2024, 12:09 am »
@Metfit77@gmail.com

How is your crossover issue doing?  Did you reach out to Frederick for help?

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2024, 09:54 pm »
Hi Jim,

He was able to get a hold of me and I think we were able to resolve the issue with his wiring. I indicated in his photo which wire should go to the tweeter and the midrange.

Frederick

BGA

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2024, 10:06 pm »
He probably got them fixed and hasn't gotten out of his listening seat yet, lol.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2024, 10:10 pm »

He probably got them fixed and hasn't gotten out of his listening seat yet, lol.
:thumb: