Danny Richie

Re: NX-Otica, NX-Studio and Double Trouble - It's Build Time
« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2023, 08:46 pm »
Man, those look great!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 17 Nov 2023, 10:22 pm »
Updated top post with new pics and sound clip.

Family photo  :wink:

Sound clip of the NX-Oticas and G25HP's
https://youtu.be/XlK5iUQt0pU?si=3ZrnYwz822KXLubE

Now that the Studio's are up and running I tried "All Channel Stereo" on my Anthem AVR and wow, what a surreal experience.
Killer Work!  :thumb:

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 17 Nov 2023, 11:30 pm »
I love this blue. Beautiful.

mikela8

« Reply #43 on: 18 Nov 2023, 01:13 am »
Beautiful!  Did you paint the pieces individually or as a whole?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #44 on: 18 Nov 2023, 02:49 am »
Spill the beans, what color did you use? I did a similar color on my Studios and I just giggle to myself almost daily how good they look. Those look freaking awesome though. Your painter did a good job.  :thumb:

rinzzlr

« Reply #45 on: 18 Nov 2023, 05:36 am »
All Channel Stereo clip of my high school buddy Lucas Wolf singing “75”. No subs in this one. Sounded like he was in the room with me.
https://youtu.be/9gZaVteddTI?si=s6onLzlnt8WM2t2I

rinzzlr

« Reply #46 on: 18 Nov 2023, 06:41 am »
Spill the beans, what color did you use? I did a similar color on my Studios and I just giggle to myself almost daily how good they look. Those look freaking awesome though. Your painter did a good job.  :thumb:

Hey thanks, yes the painter did a nice job. Paint is Valspar Automotive two stage 18E2002 for the blue and 18E3333 for the two tone black, the subs and amp boxes are just black + clear coat.

rinzzlr

« Reply #47 on: 18 Nov 2023, 06:52 am »
Beautiful!  Did you paint the pieces individually or as a whole?

They were assembled unpainted, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded then painted whole.

rinzzlr

« Reply #48 on: 22 Nov 2023, 04:21 am »
Killer Work!  :thumb:
TY, Killer sound!

Sadly won’t be able to start wiring the Double Troubles until after the holiday weekend, but I do have more info on the paint and added some new sound clips.
On the paint:
Primer was Roberlo - MultyFiller Express (ME1)
Basecoat was Matrix Edge
Clearcoat was Matrix MS-42 High Solids Clearcoat
And then Menzerna Compound and Polish for all the buffing

Sound clips:
https://youtu.be/kasj6f_vW5E?si=A6voUs5hFSJJTFmm
https://youtu.be/pBU1Mmtwpug?si=GRijmVGJKsCkaoFD
https://youtu.be/SGv6EXNSYUs?si=yfl68DqDOpkCg4RL This may be blocked in your country
https://youtu.be/VGwiGV3imag?si=RczIse8T94_BAiUX

rinzzlr

« Reply #49 on: 29 Nov 2023, 07:58 pm »
I got the amp boxes finished. Painted same as subs. I added some cabinet door handles as feet/handles to add some stability when upright and to minimize scratching. They worked out really well and have already been useful for moving them around. They are 6” long with 4” hole pattern.

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2023, 09:22 pm by rinzzlr »

Early B.

« Reply #50 on: 29 Nov 2023, 08:06 pm »
Coolest amp box ever....

I'd like to place an order for three of them. Thanks.

rinzzlr

« Reply #51 on: 29 Nov 2023, 11:41 pm »
Coolest amp box ever....

I'd like to place an order for three of them. Thanks.
Haha, Thanks. You run 3 subs? If so what is the configuration?

Early B.

« Reply #52 on: 30 Nov 2023, 12:45 am »
Haha, Thanks. You run 3 subs? If so what is the configuration?

Yeah, three double troubles -- two as bases for my monitor speakers and one in the middle. 

BrandonB

« Reply #53 on: 30 Nov 2023, 03:27 am »
All Channel Stereo clip of my high school buddy Lucas Wolf singing “75”. No subs in this one. Sounded like he was in the room with me.
https://youtu.be/9gZaVteddTI?si=s6onLzlnt8WM2t2I

Sounded great! Oh and the sub amp boxes are awesome.

rinzzlr

« Reply #54 on: 30 Nov 2023, 04:26 am »
Yeah, three double troubles -- two as bases for my monitor speakers and one in the middle.

What are your crossovers set to for the 3 subs?

rinzzlr

« Reply #55 on: 30 Nov 2023, 04:29 am »
Sounded great! Oh and the sub amp boxes are awesome.

Thank you. I had to doulbe check on the echo I heard in the clip I recorded and thought maybe because I was running All Channel Stereo I was getting extra as I would expect, but even the original recording had the echo - this is the original. https://youtu.be/IDTEMudOR08?si=C3UiTGfwfJ_UBPIv

Early B.

« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2023, 01:35 pm »
What are your crossovers set to for the 3 subs?

For my speakers, the crossovers are set at 80Hz.

rinzzlr

« Reply #57 on: 30 Nov 2023, 07:42 pm »
The GR-Research Open Baffle Rythmiks are wired and singing. Took me a few minutes to dial them in for my LP. Ended up with 80/24, 14hz high damped, phase at 160, 80hz crossover and they are blending well.  First time hearing open baffle subs and for only 370 watt amps I’m astounded. The speed of the bass is addicting, just want to keep hearing more of what they can do. Took this quick clip which recorded pretty well. Now I realize I’ve been using 1/18th of the power of the G25HP’s. Dialing them all in is going to be fun. Still need to solder them up but for now running 2 strands of GR solid core between woofers and original amp lead wire for power, and single GR solid core for servo. I was able to keep the length of the power lead stock from the amp but the servo lead wasn’t long enough and had to add about 12 inches or so which is why I ended up using solid core for servo. I’m not in love with how the cable comes off the back of the sub due to my configuration but it won’t be seen and eventually I may decide to mount a female Speakon somewhere and use a bridge cable which was my original plan, then decided I wanted to keep length a short as possible.

Video clip is with just the NX-Oticas and Double Troubles.

https://youtu.be/cbDDjBSPRlA?si=hRUVz5YbiaLOuAEl

rinzzlr

« Reply #58 on: 3 Dec 2023, 08:26 pm »
I finally had a moment to run ARC and watch a movie with the new speakers.  We watched Oppenheimer and it was fantastic.  Im posting my ARC results below as Im not an expert in its calibration and what it's actually doing to create its ideal "curve".  It looks like it defaulted to rolling off the LFE to the G25HP's rendering the H frames essentially minimally used.  I am however impressed with these results for the NX-Otica's and the NX-Studio in room response.  I will run REW later when I have more time and after I add the No-Res to everything but just a quick pass with Anthem Arc shows how balanced they are in my space.  This was using 5 listening positions across the main seating area (5 is the least you can do). 

The A370's Double Troubles were set to 80hz/24, 14hz high damping, with phase at 160 degrees, Rumble Filter On, 80hz crossover
The G25HP's are set to AVR/12, 14hz high damping, Rumble Filter On

Configuration is Anthem MRX1140 powering the NX-Studio as rear surrounds, 4 SVS Elevation for atmos and sub out's to the G25HP's. The 1140 also preamping the Galion TS120 in HT Bypass.  The TS120 was in class A, and powering the NX-Otica's and running stereo sub out to each Double Trouble A370. 

I’m considering turning ARC off for my next movie to see if the filtering is detrimental to the NX-Otica's as I believe it may be. With that being said the loudness was never an issue, I didn’t feel like I was going to have them break up with distortion or damage them during the movie. One thing I did appreciate during the movie is my rear surrounds being NX-Studio's and matching the timbre of the front because at least in Oppenheimer they are almost always engaged with Nolan-esk suspenseful music.  Another enjoyment was in the movie Nolan used a lot of sporadic intricate audio cues to create a sense of chaos which are in the upper frequency range and the NX tweeters did a fantastic job capturing those intricacies. Overall, im extremely pleased with how everything is coming together for my use case of 50 music / 50 movies.

If anyone has any recommendations on my ARC calibration I'm all ears.

Attached are pics of current room/speaker placement for ARC calibration and ARC results.

Early B.

« Reply #59 on: 3 Dec 2023, 10:50 pm »
Cool!  I'd be interested in your report on the sound without the ARC engaged. I'm also curious what your HT system would sound like without the G25HP's. In such a small room, the double troubles should be all the bass you'd ever need. Of course, you'd have to adjust the A370's to get them to sound like HT subs.