Monitors for classical music

Ericus Rex

Re: Monitors for classical music
« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2014, 12:58 pm »
Hello.  I admire your choice of speakers and wish to make you an offer.  Once you receive, set up and listen to your speakers for a couple weeks, I'll make a set of removable wool felt surrounds for your high frequency drivers for you to evaluate at no cost with the condition that you report back to the forum your experience with their use.  I'm not talking generic synthetic felt circles or dots that can be purchased from a variety of sources.  What I send you will extend out to the edges of your cabinets, or anyone's as I custom fit, and made of natural wool.  I must add, and have til I'm blue in the face, for purposes of your evaluation and listening in general that you get your speakers out into the room somewhat and away from room boundaries which you and anyone should do in any case so your recordings are less compromised by near wall reflections.  That only leaves reflection off your speaker cabinets to deal with and that's what we're gonna deal with.  This is my in-need-of-updating website: www.diffractionbegone.com.

Reply to me with any questions you may have in a PM or in this forum as you may prefer.  I will need some measurements from you and your address.  I won't tell you what to look for with their use.  That's a surprise.  Or not.  Cheers.

You should be an Industry Participant.  Not a regular member.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 3 Feb 2014, 01:44 pm »
Submitted the change.  I'd love to have a crack at your Meadowlarks, too, Eric.  Will you accept my offer?
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2014, 03:16 pm by jimdgoulding »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #42 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:24 pm »
Submitted the change.  I'd love to have a crack at your Meadowlarks, too, Eric.  Will you accept my offer?

I would take Jims offer in a heart beat. Your heart will be beating better when you try out his stuff. No doubt.

charles

skifasterslc

« Reply #43 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:48 pm »
That is a great offer from Jim,  His felt pads simply work, I have had them for many years on my quad 12L active

rotarius

« Reply #44 on: 3 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm »
Thank you all for the excellent feedback thus far.  I have been looking at websites that offer kits along with researching the speakers mentioned here.  I would love to build one being an engineer myself, but I don't get much spare time, not until wife is out of school anyway, so sticking with a finished product.  As for ATC monitors, I have no doubt they are good but none available used in my price range at the moment.  Ditto for Fritz speakers.  Anyhoo, I am quite intrigued by the Soundfield M2/M1 monitors.  A bit out of my price range now but hopefully I can try them in the future.  Good stuff AJ! To recap, I have recommendations for Ascend acoustics, Wharfedale 10.1/10.2, JBL Studio 530 along with the kits mentiond so far. 
Any love for older Sonus Faber standmounts? They are pretty easy to find used on agon and ebay and most within budget.

Btw, I enjoy classical through my Sennheiser 598 cans a lot.  That was one of the reasons I thought a smaller set-up close range would be worth trying.

Freo-1

« Reply #45 on: 3 Feb 2014, 10:49 pm »
Thank you all for the excellent feedback thus far.  I have been looking at websites that offer kits along with researching the speakers mentioned here.  I would love to build one being an engineer myself, but I don't get much spare time, not until wife is out of school anyway, so sticking with a finished product.  As for ATC monitors, I have no doubt they are good but none available used in my price range at the moment.  Ditto for Fritz speakers.  Anyhoo, I am quite intrigued by the Soundfield M2/M1 monitors.  A bit out of my price range now but hopefully I can try them in the future.  Good stuff AJ! To recap, I have recommendations for Ascend acoustics, Wharfedale 10.1/10.2, JBL Studio 530 along with the kits mentiond so far. 
Any love for older Sonus Faber standmounts? They are pretty easy to find used on agon and ebay and most within budget.

Btw, I enjoy classical through my Sennheiser 598 cans a lot.  That was one of the reasons I thought a smaller set-up close range would be worth trying.

I'm with you on classical/headphones.  I picked up a Stax SRM006-t2/404 combo second hand for a really good price.  Far and away, the best headphone setup I've heard (and I had a Beyer T1 before that).  No room issues to worry about with cans.   :thumb: