Swarm Invasion

JakeJ

Re: Swarm Invasion
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2008, 09:00 pm »
Here is my latest Swarm arrangement. Wanted to try this setup as I have some curiosity about a sub/stand that raises the Quads to the point that the panel's horizontal center is equal to ear height. Well, now I know why Quad engineers opted for placing the 988 so low to the floor, bass reinforcement. After setting the Quads on top of this rudimentary setup I listened without the sub amp on and it was quite obvious that bass had become anemic. I raised the crossover setting to ~65Hz from the ~50Hz setting I had been using with the sub cabinets placed at the room boundaries. I really like the Quads elevated and need to design myself a stand along the lines of the Arcici stands for the original Quad ESL63.

Still hard to tell where the subs are located by ear. One thing remains true through all my experiments so far, the Swarm is a very musical subwoofer system. Thanks again, Duke and Dr. Geddes. :thumb:

BTW - Don't try this at home, kids, the Quads are very wobbly due to some of the boards being warped! Hmmm...my thinker just tickled my front brain with another possible arrangement. Photo later.

Jake

JakeJ

Re: Swarm Invasion
« Reply #41 on: 31 Jul 2008, 03:49 pm »
This arrangement is much more stable. Flies in the face of Geddes position but maybe supports Welti? Places the Quads at just the right height!  :thumb: