please, need help re DAC for Clari-T/Zu setup

bevan

« on: 19 Jun 2006, 04:28 pm »
Hi all. First post here! though I been lurking for a while, and bugging Vinnie via email. (dont worry vinnie, I managed to borrow someone elses email address inorder to register).

Hoping someone can help me with my dilema. I'm in a bit of an unenviable situation of needing to buy a dac without being able to hear it first(I'm in Denmark about to head to Australia).

Do to my move downunder I've had to get rid of my Rega/Prima Luna(tube)/Dynaudio setup. I've just ordered a new system, unheard, from the states. A risky move I know but MRRP in Oz is exorbitant and there is an absolute lack of a second hand market down there. And I felt like taking a gamble and trying something new. i.e Clari-T and Zu Tone single driver speakers. Both A are bought but not yey received. The Clari-T is getting modded by Vinnie at the moment so I thought it might be a good time to look into a new DAC. My present source, which I'll use as transport, is a Denon 2200.

From reading these circles I've been thinking of the RWA Monica and Scott Nixon Tubedac. and maybe dAck! or even hold off a few months for battery transport as well(the Olive). The Monica option has the obvious advantage of being battery powered, whereas the Tubedac has the advantage of offering a bit of extra warmth(which I've read many Clari-T owners saying they would appreciate, and which I will miss giving up my tubes).

I'm hoping some of you can weigh in with with your opinions here. i'll take them as no more than that, but it might be all I have to go on.

Other things I've been wanting to ask someone about, what are the chances of putting in the Paper In Oil caps in either the custom Clari-T or the dac? I've heard these bring a bit of warmth to the party. And I read mention of a Signiture 6 with these PIO caps in what I think was Custom Clari-T case. Is there space for these and dual mono with big batteries Vinnie?

Long post, I'll sign off now. Thanks for any help.

Bevan

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:57 am »
Hi Bevan,

Welcome to Audiocircle!

The Monica option has the obvious advantage of being battery powered, whereas the Tubedac has the advantage of offering a bit of extra warmth

I have now been using Scott Nixon's new REV dackit board (not the tube dac) powered by an 12V SLA battery.  Based on what I have heard between the two , I wouldn't exactly say the Tubedac is warmer sounding  :wink:  

Regarding a Signature 6, this is something that I am only *considering*offering next.  It would be identical to the Signature 30 (same enclosure, same DACT, PIO caps, etc) EXCEPT that it would be dual-mono and 6-watts per channel.  I have no idea if I am actually going to offer this, nor do I have an idea when (perhaps in the fall or winter).  

As for the PIO caps in the Clari-T, it is really a tough fit because of their BIG size.  There is no way for them to be installed in any of the Clari-T's with the smaller enclosure.  As for the larger enclosure ones, if they are dual mono or loaded with other goodies (DACT, multiple inputs, dual-mono, etc.) it will be very tricky to make them fit in there and installing them in such a way that they are secure and reliable.  They are big and heavy....

Best regards,

bevan

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2006, 06:37 am »
Thanks Vinnie.

What is the 'REV' dackit, is this the normal dackit? I only see one offered on his site.

So you thinking this might be a better choice than the monica for my system?

One more question, is it possible to install these dacs inside the larger Clari-T case(with dual mono and large battery) ?

Thanks

Bevan

p.s let me know if my Clari-T didnt arrive at your place last week.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2006, 11:40 am »
Quote from: bevan
Thanks Vinnie.

What is the 'REV' dackit, is this the normal dackit? I only see one offered on his site.

So you thinking this might be a better choice than the monica for my system?

One more question, is it possible to install these dacs inside the larger Clari-T case(with dual mono and large battery) ?

Thanks

Bevan

p.s let me know if my Clari-T didnt arrive at your place last week.

Bevan,

I did not receive your Clari-T yet.

Regarding the dackit, I mean a new revision (rev) of the dackit board.  

Yes, I can build them into a Clari-T (but not the dual mono Clari-T).  A dual mono Clari-T uses two batteries....one for each board.  

See: http://www.redwineaudio.com/Clari_T_Customization.html
Scroll down to the "Reali-T"

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Best,

bevan

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2006, 05:30 pm »
How come the move from Monica to Dackit? You prefere Nixons stuff?

Anyone else heard both of these?

cheers

Bevan

p.s my clari-t got lost in transit but is apparently still heading your way vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:00 am »
Quote from: bevan
How come the move from Monica to Dackit? You prefere Nixons stuff?

Anyone else heard both of these?

cheers

Bevan

p.s my clari-t got lost in transit but is apparently still heading your way vinnie

Hi Bevan,

Your Clari-T arrived today.

Regarding using SN dackit vs Monica2.... I have a couple of reasons but I won't post here (email me if you must know).