Why can't I beat the iMod??

lousyreeds1

Why can't I beat the iMod??
« on: 11 Feb 2012, 11:50 am »
Hi all (and hi Vinnie),

So I've had my 5G iMod for many years now and figured it would finally be time to retire it when the digital-out iPod docks went mainstream.  I'm now sitting here with a Cambridge Audio id100 dock feeding through coax to an MHDT Havana DAC. Sounds great, right?  Well it doesn't hold a candle to my iMod through ALO cabling.  Both sources are running to a Grado headphone amp and then on to my Grado HF-2 headphones.  The difference is not subtle - the iMod is more open, more transparent, more coherent: the whole enchilada.

What gives??

Vinnie, I know the iMod is a great piece, but how can this be??  The cabling on the id100/Havana source is admittedly subpar - just some Belkin interconnects and coax cable - but still, the difference in sound quality is massive.  The only thing I can conclude is that this is a testament to Vinnie's incredible design skills, and to how closely his musical priorities match with mine. 

So I have renewed confidence in my iMod as my digital source for the long term.  All I need now is some way to use it without having to remove it from the system to charge it every few hours - the battery isn't doing so well these days...

Anyway, this is all just to say that I remain incredibly impressed by the iMod, despite the many new options for getting the most sound possible out of the iPod!  Congrats, Vinnie!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Why can't I beat the iMod??
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:21 pm »
Hi lousyreeds1,

For great musicality and coherence across the board with redbook files, the iMod is not easy to beat.  The Isabellina LFP-V Edition dac clearly beats it, but costs much more  :wink:

So I have renewed confidence in my iMod as my digital source for the long term.  All I need now is some way to use it without having to remove it from the system to charge it every few hours - the battery isn't doing so well these days...

If you send me the battery and your iMod, I'll take care of it for you.  This company carries good ones: http://www.milliamp.com/

Anyway, this is all just to say that I remain incredibly impressed by the iMod, despite the many new options for getting the most sound possible out of the iPod!  Congrats, Vinnie!

Thank you!

Vinnie

lousyreeds1

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:12 pm »
Thanks, Vinnie! 

The iMod aside, I'd be interested to hear if you've compared the latest and greatest digital iPod docks using the Isabellina.  I just can't figure out what separates the id100, Pure i-20 and Wadia 171i in terms of sound quality, and there's a lot of misinformation out there.  The only thing I've heard is that the Cambridge id100 and Wadia 171 have 'reclockers', and should therefore be better.  But I can't find any decent comparison.  I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts on this - just in case an Isabellina purchase is on the horizon  :eyebrows:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:26 pm »
Thanks, Vinnie! 

The iMod aside, I'd be interested to hear if you've compared the latest and greatest digital iPod docks using the Isabellina.  I just can't figure out what separates the id100, Pure i-20 and Wadia 171i in terms of sound quality, and there's a lot of misinformation out there.  The only thing I've heard is that the Cambridge id100 and Wadia 171 have 'reclockers', and should therefore be better.  But I can't find any decent comparison.  I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts on this - just in case an Isabellina purchase is on the horizon  :eyebrows:

Hi lousyreeds1,

The best one I've heard is the least expensive one - the Pure i20.  BUT - fed from a 12V linear-regulated output jack from the Isabellina off the LiFePO4 battery pack.  And I own the iD100, 171i, and onkyo ND-S1.

Here is another little secret - remove the internal switching regulator in the i20 with a 5V linear regulator (you need to heat sink it) and you have a smoking good little iPod dock!  :smoke:

This is the reason why all our products that feature our Isabellina dac also have the $100 option of adding a 12Vdc output jack - for feeding these iPod digital docks.  They all come with cheap switching power supplies  :roll:

Vinnie

lousyreeds1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:36 pm »
Hi vinnie.  For those of us who have no clue what an internal switching regulator does or where to find it, is there any chance of an RWA mod here?  I know you've got all that free time to kill  :lol:

I'm also assuming the 12Vdc output jack is only available on your DACs, rather than on, say, the Sig 15?

Thanks as always!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2012, 10:21 pm »
Hi vinnie.  For those of us who have no clue what an internal switching regulator does or where to find it, is there any chance of an RWA mod here?  I know you've got all that free time to kill  :lol:

I'm also assuming the 12Vdc output jack is only available on your DACs, rather than on, say, the Sig 15?

Thanks as always!

I can offer an i20 mod - I just need to figure out how to price it.

A 12Vdc output jack can be added to the back of a Sig 15...  8)