BDA-3 DAC

adol290

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1060 on: 1 Nov 2018, 02:26 pm »
I disagree. Briyston offered the SP4 for those who wanted room correction and Atmos.

Exactly, Because they were missing a portion of the market, which boils down to more sales.

adol290

« Reply #1061 on: 1 Nov 2018, 02:49 pm »
Hi!

Digital-to-analogue conversion within a delta-sigma chip requires filtering so turning it off is not possible. It would not work otherwise. You may have different filters, some of which may be more invasive than others, but you must always have it. Bryston has likely selected one of the filter types already installed in the D/A chip which eliminates the need for external filtering on a separate chip (which typically makes the machine more expensive to make). I think they didn't want users (or reviewers) to meddle with the sound because that would surely give polarizing opinions on the matter.

Having the ability to change different filter types is fun but I have often found it quite useless when it comes to music playback since there is always one certain type that sounded the best overall.

Cheers,
Antun

Hi,
I had an Esoteric K-03x that had the AK4495S chip. As you see in the picture below you were allowed to change filters or turn it off.

I understand that bryston wants a certain sound. But it would be to their advantage to offer more options to increase market share. They can
   sell the BDA-3 with the filters set the "bryston recommended way" and make a note of such in the manual. Then let the ones who like to play, play.

I have had the same experience where one filter sounds the best overall. But i have also found that filter did not sound as good on another
 system.

But bryston always improves on the next generation, and we may see filter selection/ digital volume control among other things.

I thinks it's smart business to be able to offer the bryston sound, with the option of letting people tweak a bit.     

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1062 on: 1 Nov 2018, 03:59 pm »

Hi,

I thinks it's smart business to be able to offer the bryston sound, with the option of letting people tweak a bit.     

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Bryston sound = accuracy to the source.
They've always done this.

adol290

« Reply #1063 on: 1 Nov 2018, 04:23 pm »
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Bryston sound = accuracy to the source.
They've always done this.

WRONG.....

They broke that with the SP4., plain and simple

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1064 on: 1 Nov 2018, 04:57 pm »
Hi Folks,

The 5 filters available on the AKM 4490 chip.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1065 on: 1 Nov 2018, 06:13 pm »
WRONG.....

They broke that with the SP4., plain and simple

Can you read?

adol290

« Reply #1066 on: 1 Nov 2018, 07:05 pm »
Can you read?

I can read, but obviously you can't comprehend.

You said

"Bryston sound = accuracy to the source.
They've always done this."

Which is correct until the SP4.

Once room correction is turned on in the SP4, "Bryston sound = accuracy to the source." is no longer in effect.

This is stated by james in the link i provided.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50270.msg1080400#msg1080400

They have now set a precedent that allows users to change the "bryston sound", by turning on room correction.

No different than if they allowed people to select a different filter in the BDA-3.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1067 on: 1 Nov 2018, 07:50 pm »
A question for those of you that have the BDA3 with blue LEDs.

What color is the upsampling LED?

On my new unit all of the lights are either red or blue depending on the state.
Except the upsample LED which looks like it’s trying to be blue and red at the same time.
Not quite pink, bit close.
Is this normal?

I believe that's the "purple" color. On the green/red LED systems, I think they combine green/red for an orange?

ngamountains

« Reply #1068 on: 1 Nov 2018, 09:11 pm »
Personal insults going both ways; classy discussion guys.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1069 on: 1 Nov 2018, 10:19 pm »
My point (to adol) is that Bryston's design philosophy hasn't changed: accuracy to the source.
Offering the OPTION of modifying/adding a filter doesn't alter this philosophy.
The SP4 doesn't alter that philosophy.

p.s. "room correction" is intended to reduce the impact of room-related factors that would distort the output (sound) of a system. Having RC turned on should move the output closer to that "Bryston sound" - accuracy to the source.

This is a DAC thread; so why are we discussing SP4?

ngamountains

« Reply #1070 on: 3 Nov 2018, 03:41 am »
I have a BDA-3, so stop in here once in a while to see what is being discussed.  Pretty pathetic to see two grown individuals who've probably never met pissing back and forth at each other like nine year olds because they disagree on something.  It's just audio equipment.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1071 on: 3 Nov 2018, 03:43 pm »
agreed ngamountains. and it's often the same few.

hey....is that North Georgia Mountains?  Nice country if it is!

TJ

ngamountains

« Reply #1072 on: 3 Nov 2018, 04:48 pm »
Indeed TJ, on the southern edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  We are not missing the snow of the Midwest which was our previous home for decades.  It's not for everyone but we enjoy it here.  Enjoy the weekend.

Xinon

« Reply #1073 on: 3 Nov 2018, 08:12 pm »
That is correct -- I spent 3 days auditioning a BDA-3 on my home rig. It was good. But I did not buy it. I prefer my BDA-1. (I don't do USB or HDMI -- just straight, pure PCM from CD rips and downloaded lossless).

It's all personal preferences.
cheers

I bought the Bda-1 when it was released, still have it.
Owned the Bda-2 for 3month, wanted to like it, but the Bda-1 sounded better to my ears.
Bought the Bda-3, had it for one year, with the BDP-3 and Oppo 103.
Its a very good dac, but as you I mostly use cd rips and high res pcm(I use BNC).
And to my ears Bda-1 is still the best sounding dac for those files.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1074 on: 3 Nov 2018, 10:56 pm »
I bought the Bda-1 when it was released, still have it.
Owned the Bda-2 for 3month, wanted to like it, but the Bda-1 sounded better to my ears.
Bought the Bda-3, had it for one year, with the BDP-3 and Oppo 103.
Its a very good dac, but as you I mostly use cd rips and high res pcm(I use BNC).
And to my ears Bda-1 is still the best sounding dac for those files.

:thumb:  Sometimes, newer is different, not always "better".
YMMV as usual.
Have you tried an AES cable?

cheers
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2018, 12:16 am by CanadianMaestro »

Xinon

« Reply #1075 on: 4 Nov 2018, 05:18 pm »
:thumb:  Sometimes, newer is different, not always "better".
YMMV as usual.
Have you tried an AES cable?

cheers

Used AES/EBU with Bryston BDP-3, but I sold the BDP-3.
My Lumin D1 only have BNC out.
I have bought and tried a lot of DACs since I bought the Bda-1, but I have ended up selling them all.

There is something quite special about the sound of the 1 :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1076 on: 5 Nov 2018, 01:02 pm »
Used AES/EBU with Bryston BDP-3, but I sold the BDP-3.
My Lumin D1 only have BNC out.
I have bought and tried a lot of DACs since I bought the Bda-1, but I have ended up selling them all.

There is something quite special about the sound of the 1 :thumb:

Definitely agree about the -1 being right. I guess once you've found the gear that sounds perfect for your rig, stick with it.

BNC is great. I used BNC for my BDP/BDA combo for a while, before getting AES. Now I can just switch back/forth using my Bryston remote. In many cases, I hear very little difference. In some cases, AES gives slightly better soundstage. But I'm too engaged with the mojo of the music to notice 95% of the time.

cheers

gbaby

« Reply #1077 on: 5 Nov 2018, 02:52 pm »
To be honest, since I have owned the BDP-3 along with the BDA-3, I am preferring USB through both the SP-3 and the BDA-3.  :o

R. Daneel

« Reply #1078 on: 6 Nov 2018, 06:25 pm »

Hi,
I had an Esoteric K-03x that had the AK4495S chip. As you see in the picture below you were allowed to change filters or turn it off.

I understand that bryston wants a certain sound. But it would be to their advantage to offer more options to increase market share. They can
   sell the BDA-3 with the filters set the "bryston recommended way" and make a note of such in the manual. Then let the ones who like to play, play.

I have had the same experience where one filter sounds the best overall. But i have also found that filter did not sound as good on another
 system.

But bryston always improves on the next generation, and we may see filter selection/ digital volume control among other things.

Hi!

If the menu says the filter is "off", then surely it is off. Unless of course it isn't and Teac thinks this would be easier to understand. As with every other machine that has a selectable digital filter, "off" no doubt means "default filter setting" which is typically the one giving the best measurements.

There is NO digital/analog conversion within a delta-sigma modulator without filtering applied.

The other part of your post regarding whether Bryston should allow for different filter settings is a matter of opinion. I personally wouldn't have any use for this but you might think otherwise. I'd much rather they added a second AES3 input.

Cheers!
Antun

adol290

« Reply #1079 on: 6 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm »
Hi!

If the menu says the filter is "off", then surely it is off. Unless of course it isn't and Teac thinks this would be easier to understand. As with every other machine that has a selectable digital filter, "off" no doubt means "default filter setting" which is typically the one giving the best measurements.

There is NO digital/analog conversion within a delta-sigma modulator without filtering applied.

The other part of your post regarding whether Bryston should allow for different filter settings is a matter of opinion. I personally wouldn't have any use for this but you might think otherwise. I'd much rather they added a second AES3 input.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi,

I assumed wrong that it was indeed off, but as you point out, it is actually a default filter setting.

The reason i was looking at the off function, is because i have built a standalone windows server using an HDplex chassis and an outboard linear power supply.
 It has no fans or motors in it. All solid state. I output from the server to an IFI iusb3.0 and then into the BDA-3.

The program i use on windows is called HQplayer. This program allows you to select different filters/dithering, and any type of up sampling you want.

So the idea was to turn off filtering in the DAC and have it all controlled by HQplayer.