Magnepan LRS

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #120 on: 20 Jun 2019, 12:33 am »
Instead of spending $500 on a fuse, by a pair of ,7 or 1.7. I'm thinking that would get you a whole lot more sound improvement than a fuse.

josh358

« Reply #121 on: 20 Jun 2019, 01:06 am »
Instead of spending $500 on a fuse, by a pair of ,7 or 1.7. I'm thinking that would get you a whole lot more sound improvement than a fuse.
+1

AvsFan

« Reply #122 on: 20 Jun 2019, 01:46 pm »

Umm... yeah.... you don't have to worry about me spending $500 on a pair of fuses. Almost as much money as the entire speaker. That's why my post had ?!?!?!?! about a fuse.  That's the silliest thing I have ever heard. Or not heard. LOL. I am not a Maggie expert, but isn't it simply there to protect the speaker? I am sure that 999 out of 1000 people could not tell the difference between the stock fuse and the $500 fuse. If the people who own and run the company can't, then I doubt anyone else can. And even if you can, it has to be so minor that it's not even close to worth it. But I get it, there are people who want to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their gear and are willing to pay for it. Same people who think there is a major difference in sound between a well made $60 speaker cable and $2000 speaker cable. But I don't want to start that debate here.  :D   Now with that said, what do I do if a fuse blows? Is there a specific place to go get a new one that's exactly the same as what's there now?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #123 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:06 pm »
Any stock UL approved fast blow (correct amp rating) fuse will do. In the ten years I have owned Maggies, I have never had a blown fuse.

AvsFan

« Reply #124 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:20 pm »
Any stock UL approved fast blow (correct amp rating) fuse will do. In the ten years I have owned Maggies, I have never had a blown fuse.

Thanks for answering my question. And you actually answered my next question, about how often Maggie's blow fuses. How would one blow a fuse anyway? Feeding them way too much power? Unclean power? Some kind of surge while playing them??? I didn't know owning Maggie's was going to be so complicated! Geesh!  :lol:

AvsFan

« Reply #125 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:30 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't waste money on the audiophile fuses. For any number of reasons, not the least being that Wendell Diller and Mark Winey tried bypassing the fuse entirely at Magenpan in a blind A/B test and couldn't hear any difference. If there's a difference, it's likely because people have let the fuse and holder become dirty and corroded and putting a new fuse in tends to clean them.

Do begin with the 1 ohm resistor. People think that the norm is the jumper, but according to Magnepan, *it is not.* The jumper is like turning the tweeter level all the way up, and the 2 ohm resistor is like turning it all the way down. The middle is the 1 ohm resistor, so that's what you should start with and only add the larger resistor or go to a piece of wire (rather than the jumper) if it the room is too bright or too dead respectively.

If you want to upgrade the resistors, you can go to a non-inductive resistor like the Mills, but the inductance on the supplied ones is minuscule so I doubt you'll hear it unless you hear in the megahertz range. The Dueland graphite resistors do sound better than wirewound, but they're big, expensive, and have fragile leads, so if you go that route I'd make sure first that you know what value you'll be using.

I like how they sound right now. The highs aren't too high. I am not going to worry about any of this until way down the road. Get a handle on the Maggie sound before I start switching things up and After they burn in, after I get new amplification and a pre, after I implement some subs, after I find the sweet spot. Like Mr Miyagi say's. AFTER AFTER!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #126 on: 20 Jun 2019, 03:26 pm »
  $500 for a pair of fuses is just too much. Who charges that may I ask ? Yes of speaker cable will bring more of a change however the little that the fuse adds in the overall scheme of things matters.
   Agree 100% about cleaning those contacts after some time. Makes a difference in top end performance. As I said you have some time to get used to your new speakers. Listen enjoy tweak later if desired. This is not life and death its fun trying stuff.

charles

AvsFan

« Reply #127 on: 20 Jun 2019, 04:27 pm »
  $500 for a pair of fuses is just too much. Who charges that may I ask ? Yes of speaker cable will bring more of a change however the little that the fuse adds in the overall scheme of things matters.
   Agree 100% about cleaning those contacts after some time. Makes a difference in top end performance. As I said you have some time to get used to your new speakers. Listen enjoy tweak later if desired. This is not life and death its fun trying stuff.

charles

Yep. I am just having fun right now listening to them at low volume throughout the day when I am working then really opening them up for about an hour each day after work. Really trying to decide about amplification right now. Such a tough choice.

josh358

« Reply #128 on: 20 Jun 2019, 05:41 pm »
Thanks for answering my question. And you actually answered my next question, about how often Maggie's blow fuses. How would one blow a fuse anyway? Feeding them way too much power? Unclean power? Some kind of surge while playing them??? I didn't know owning Maggie's was going to be so complicated! Geesh!  :lol:
I've blown a fuse maybe once in the last 10 years, and then it was some kind of accident that blasted audio at full level (I've actually had several of those, but they only blew a fuse once). Never in actual listening, but since stuff happens and you can't hear them anyway, I prefer to have them.

When I was a kid, I did blow fuses on the Telarc 1812. :-)

Of course, if I had $500 fuses, I'd probably only dare to play my system at a whisper, so that would mean extra protection . . .

AvsFan

« Reply #129 on: 20 Jun 2019, 05:58 pm »
I've blown a fuse maybe once in the last 10 years, and then it was some kind of accident that blasted audio at full level (I've actually had several of those, but they only blew a fuse once). Never in actual listening, but since stuff happens and you can't hear them anyway, I prefer to have them.

When I was a kid, I did blow fuses on the Telarc 1812. :-)

Of course, if I had $500 fuses, I'd probably only dare to play my system at a whisper, so that would mean extra protection . . .

That's another question I have about the Maggie's. Sometimes I am scared to turn them up in fear of damaging something. I mean, they aren't that fragile are they?
I am not sitting here jamming out to Metallica at 105dbs or anything like that, but I do like a little volume to my music. 

josh358

« Reply #130 on: 20 Jun 2019, 09:40 pm »
That's another question I have about the Maggie's. Sometimes I am scared to turn them up in fear of damaging something. I mean, they aren't that fragile are they?
I am not sitting here jamming out to Metallica at 105dbs or anything like that, but I do like a little volume to my music.
The ones without the true ribbon aren't fragile at all. They've chosen the tweeter fuses so that the fuse will blow before the Mylar melts, and it would be very hard to damage the woofer, if you overdrive it it will hit the magnets and make a racket so you'll just turn it down.

The true ribbons (3.7i and up) are more fragile. The fuses should protect them, but if you drive them at very high levels they will eventually get metal fatigue and fail, so they have an exchange program. From what I've seen and experienced, though, failures are rare, I bought mine used and I've been using them for years now and they're still going strong.

My Tympanis will play louder than I care to listen, I've had peaks at over 110 dB when I was experimenting. But my MMG's started to get uncomfortable when the SPL meter was in the high 90's (figure that peaks are about 10 dB higher than what an SPL meter shows you), so I wouldn't push them beyond that because they didn't sound good.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #131 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:35 pm »
I've blown fuses but they were caused by equipment malfunctions (tube went, SS preamp has god knows what wrong with it).
I've also popped a ribbon but can't say if it was due to clipping at high volume or just old age.

I wouldn't be too concerned about blowing them up, they'll reach a certain (pretty high) volume level and then the sound quality will south.
I can certainly hear it, my wife is oblivious as she'll be in another room doing housework while Billy Joel is distorting horribly.

Merckx1

« Reply #132 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:02 am »
So after reading this thread I went ahead and tried a 1-ohm resister on my MMG's. It made a difference but not what I expected. The sound was more detailed with a slightly muted top end. Then I tried another suggestion, exchanging the stock jumper for some good quality speaker wire. Wow! I gained a ton of detail and sizzle at the top. I think its too hot for my room but I was amazed! Why would the speaker wire sound so different from the stock cast metal jumper? They're both just metal!
I'm confused.  :o

AvsFan

« Reply #133 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:11 pm »
Got my new DAC and amplifier from DAC. Hopefully by this weekend I can get it all up and running!

AvsFan

« Reply #134 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:12 pm »
The little screw on the back of the binding posts on teh LRS's. Do those have to be used?
I actually lost one and have no idea where it is.

josh358

« Reply #135 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:34 pm »
So after reading this thread I went ahead and tried a 1-ohm resister on my MMG's. It made a difference but not what I expected. The sound was more detailed with a slightly muted top end. Then I tried another suggestion, exchanging the stock jumper for some good quality speaker wire. Wow! I gained a ton of detail and sizzle at the top. I think its too hot for my room but I was amazed! Why would the speaker wire sound so different from the stock cast metal jumper? They're both just metal!
I'm confused.  :o
I can think of two possibilities. One is that the jumper oxidized or got dirty. That's common with speaker connections and fuses, and then when people replace them they say "Wow, this new wire is better!" Best to try a bit of Deoxit first.

The other is that the Magnepan jumpers are apparently ferrous and in theory anyway that can affect the sound.

Either way, a short length of speaker wire is inexpensive enough, no harm in changing them.

You might want to get some Mills non-inductive resistors from Parts Express or Part Connexion, or better yet the Dueland Cast graphite resistors from the latter -- they're big and the leads are fragile, but they have a great reputation for sound.

josh358

« Reply #136 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:36 pm »
The little screw on the back of the binding posts on teh LRS's. Do those have to be used?
Uh-oh, your speakers are ruined. :-)

Seriously, you can use banana plugs without them. They're only necessary for wire and resistor leads. But if you want a replacement, I'm sure you can buy a replacement from Magnepan.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #137 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:37 pm »

Are you talking about the small hex screws?  If so, they are used to hold bare speaker wire in place but if you are using banana plugs you do not necessarily need them.

AvsFan

« Reply #138 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:39 pm »
Are you talking about the small hex screws?  If so, they are used to hold bare speaker wire in place but if you are using banana plugs you do not necessarily need them.

Exactly what I am talking about. And I do use bananas, the ones I am getting from BJC are locking too, so yeah, I didn't think it was an issue but being new to Maggie's, just wanted to check.

ajzepp

« Reply #139 on: 18 Jul 2019, 05:28 am »

I got tired of losing them...so I just bought a crap load.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HTAAJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Assuming they're using the same size on the LRS as on my 3.6s.