Audiogon question

WireNut

Re: Audiogon question
« Reply #40 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:41 pm »
If I purchased a used component and didn't like it and wanted my money back is the seller obligated to give me back the money?
What if the seller refuses to give me back my money, what then?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #41 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:54 pm »
If it is as described, no.
Nothing, if transaction was completed to terms of sale.

csmgolf

« Reply #42 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:55 pm »
Buyer's remorse is not the responsibility of the seller, so if you don't like the way it sounds in your system, the answer would be no. Ask any and all questions BEFORE committing to buy.  If the item is misrepresented (condition over rated, not functioning as described) then the buyer should refund, but that is not always the case. There is a dispute process there for cases like this if the seller is not on the up and up. I have quite a bit of experience buying and selling there and the problems have been few (though it has happened to me). Most of the people over there are good to deal with. However, when you buy something sight unseen from another person you don't really know on the other side of the country, you are taking a chance.

viggen

« Reply #43 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:44 pm »
once i saw a killer deal by a seller on audiogon.  a pair of speakers selling for $600 that retails new for about $2400.  i was probably the 4th viewer.  i clicked "buy it now" as fast as i could.  but, the seller said he was negotiating with another seller and he had first dibs.  i contacted audiogon and asked whether i was the legitimate buyer, and tracy at audiogon said i were.  i left seller a negative feedback.  that negative feedback was removed later.  i asked audiogon why and they now tell me the other buyer is more legitimate.  that seller then left me a positive feedback.  i emailed audiogon to ask them to remove the positive feedback since i didn't have a transaction made with that guy.  audiogon then said i did.  weird.   :duh: :scratch:

WireNut

« Reply #44 on: 16 Dec 2014, 03:03 am »
I will no longer use Paypal for transactions. After a buyer receives a component and decides he/she doesn't want it for what ever reason they can file a complaint with Paypal and do a bank charge back from what I understand and possibly get there money back and maybe even keep the component or ship it back damaged to the seller. With a bank cashiers check I think it's safer for the seller from unscrupulous buyers.

rodge827

« Reply #45 on: 16 Dec 2014, 03:46 pm »
I will no longer use Paypal for transactions.

Yeah I'm thinking of going in this direction too, or taking payment with the gift/family option. Like many of us I have used PayPal for years with no issues until recently. I sold an amp to a guy with a video of it working. He received the amp and then about 2 days later I got a flurry of emails saying that it didn't work, and a case through PayPal. I offered the guy his money and I wanted the amp back, and like the OP I was concerned of the amps condition upon return. He said "why don't we send it to the manufacturer for a repair at my cost". I obliged and it cost me $125.00 to make him happy. I let it go and chalked it off as "one of those things" until I read this thread. Seams like buyers have found a way to have the PayPal "system" work on their behalf!

A few weeks ago I made an offer on an item on Audiogon. The offer was for less than the asking price with PP fees and shipping included. The (insert your choice of expletive here) seller accepted the offer, but changed the terms and got me to pay PP fees and shipping. If I didn't buy the item for that number or canceled the sale Audiogon was going to hit me with a hefty penalty charge! Apparently if you back out of an offer Audiogon spanks the potential buyer hard.
What The Fun is that!   

But I also recently bought another item  (different seller) on Audiogon with no troubles. In fact it was one of, if not the best, dealing I have ever had with a seller.

Chris

vortrex

« Reply #46 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:26 pm »
Buyers are definitely trying to scam sellers based off audiogon rules.  I sold a pre off audiogon and the guy contacted me ONE MONTH later saying it had issues.  I asked for more clarification on the problem and he responded over 2 weeks later.  It was more than 50 days since he received it and I said there was nothing I could do to help him (especially since his one sentence replies took weeks to do and he was threatening me).  He left me bad feedback and audiogon actually told me I was responsible for the unit that far into the game!  He then said he had the unit checked out by a professional and the power supply had been modified, total lie.  He asked that I pay to have it fixed, which I declined.  Later I saw him sell it and stated that it was only a single tube failure which caused his problems and the unit was fine.  Even after pointing out that ad to audiogon and asking that my bad feedback be removed they denied me and said he had the right to.

DEV

« Reply #47 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:39 pm »
You have to be very careful with any dealings on Audiogon, buying or selling!

So many accounts still being hi-jacked, many scammers wanting to purchase. PayPal sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what happened to me;

I purchased a item "thousands of dollars worth" from a dealer. The dealer posted 9/10 condition, even spoke with the dealer on the phone and confirmed it looked like it was in new condition. Sent money using PayPal, seller delayed sending - I received in approx. a months time. The product was more like a 5/10 condition wise - immediately contacted the seller - Audiogon and PayPal. Seller said must be due to shipping, "dropped" so I need to put a claim in. That was bs and a total scam on his part knowing how to wripe his hands clean of the deal. You can see looking at the item it's no way from shipping and he even admits such in one of his responses.

-Audiogon wanted me to do posting where other weigh in - bs, would not allow me to post a negative due to time frame

-PayPal wanted me to pay for shipping back to the seller and have a proof "signature" that the seller received - what a joke! So the seller already scammed me once and I lost a substantial amount of money and going to loose more??????????

- Shipper company will not cover wear and tear damage- only shipping damage if caused and there was none

This guy is a pro and knows how to work the system - what goes around comes around - his day will come.

Beware of this scammer - Sunny Components

He just happens to post on another forum soliciting which is against the rules and I just happen to see, you can see what I received along with his responses - he's a slime ball scammer.  See for your self and spread the word to not deal with him;

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15909-Just-Arrived-!-2-pair-of-Wilson-Audio-Alexandria-XLF-in-Stock-(-one-is-a-Fact-Demo-)

Buyer beware dealing with this guy!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #48 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:44 pm »
Buyers are definitely trying to scam sellers based off audiogon rules.  I sold a pre off audiogon and the guy contacted me ONE MONTH later saying it had issues.  I asked for more clarification on the problem and he responded over 2 weeks later.  It was more than 50 days since he received it and I said there was nothing I could do to help him (especially since his one sentence replies took weeks to do and he was threatening me).  He left me bad feedback and audiogon actually told me I was responsible for the unit that far into the game!  He then said he had the unit checked out by a professional and the power supply had been modified, total lie.  He asked that I pay to have it fixed, which I declined.  Later I saw him sell it and stated that it was only a single tube failure which caused his problems and the unit was fine.  Even after pointing out that ad to audiogon and asking that my bad feedback be removed they denied me and said he had the right to.

That's nuts! What happened to taking responsibility for one's actions? It's freakin' used gear! Morality seems to be determined by what one can get away with...it's sad. Conscience, what's that?
Years ago, I bought an amp on A-Gon and the guy shipped it before receiving my payment via money order, explaining that "I'll get your payment about the same time you get amp". In the words of John Hartford those were  "the goodle days". These stories sure make me second guess Agon purchases.

DEV

« Reply #49 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:51 pm »

Wow! unbelievable.

vortrex

« Reply #50 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:06 pm »
Wow! unbelievable.

Yes, it is the one lone bad feedback I have ever received on any audio site, even with 16 years of eBay included.  I should point out this scammer was using an email account from the reagan.com (yes, RONALD REAGAN) domain.  That should have been my first hint to run.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:23 pm »
Well, I'll add my nightmare to the list.  I posted a classified and used my C.C. for payment.  I've never done this as I've always used PayPal.  Well, I learned my lesson.  Within 4 hrs of the posting I got an odd email from audiogon saying that my account was accessed from out of state.  I emailed audiogon and they said all is fine change your password.  I did that.  Well, within 2 hrs of that I got a call from my C.C. company wanting to know if I charged these charges (in person) at a certain location.  I asked if it was swiped or keyed.  They said it was swiped and I asked how can that be done.  "Oh, it's done everyday...they know how to do it".  Needless to say I will not be using a C.C. with them anymore.   :duh:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #52 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:41 pm »
I use USPS money order only.  If they won't accept it I go elsewhere, same with ebay sellers.   Hell, I've bought stuff off of Craigslist ads from hundreds of miles away and had it shipped.  No problems.

I've been scammed twice on ebay, and it still pisses me off.!   :cuss:

DEV

« Reply #53 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:52 pm »
Well, I'll add my nightmare to the list.  I posted a classified and used my C.C. for payment.  I've never done this as I've always used PayPal.  Well, I learned my lesson.  Within 4 hrs of the posting I got an odd email from audiogon saying that my account was accessed from out of state.  I emailed audiogon and they said all is fine change your password.  I did that.  Well, within 2 hrs of that I got a call from my C.C. company wanting to know if I charged these charges (in person) at a certain location.  I asked if it was swiped or keyed.  They said it was swiped and I asked how can that be done.  "Oh, it's done everyday...they know how to do it".  Needless to say I will not be using a C.C. with them anymore.   :duh:

Only way you can post and buy from Audigon now is by providing CC info which is scary due to all the hacking going on - personally I like being able to utilize my CC because I have protection and it's a fairly easy process to eliminate any fraudulent transactions - I have never had any issues doing such in my country, maybe differs elsewhere. Difference with PayPal was I got screwed and would have gotten further screwed if I proceeded, no recourse. I only use for very small amounts, if selling and the item is a large amount I will only except payment via money wire transfer or other payment but must completely clear my own bank account and depending on where located can take over 30 days. I'm aware of certified cheques - and money order scams - unfortunate part is it can seem all fine to the bank but then in a months time the bank realizes it's bad and deducts from your account - gotta be supper careful now a days and really do your diligence. Audiogon has made it allot harder eliminating our communication we once had. I just pay for my add no so it provides freedom, I can post my email address if I wish to.

Phil A

« Reply #54 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:06 pm »

I've been scammed twice on ebay, and it still pisses me off.!   :cuss:

I got scammed on eBay (which I call SleezeBay) many moons ago (probably a dozen years back) and got it corrected after some effort.  I've probably used eBay once (as I wanted something and that was the source) in the dozen years since that happened.  It's not hard to imagine since eBay I believe owns PayPal what is now happening.  That was the one of the main things that pushed me to move to sell on Audiogon.  I last sold something on Audiogon about 4 months back.  To me this new requirement is ridiculous.  What if someone doesn't have a credit card?  I bought a piece of equipment from a guy who has sold hundreds of things on Audiogon (not an audio dealer but just a die hard audiophile who owns a car dealership) probably 5 years back and talked to him and he demanded wire transfer and told me if that wasn''t the way he could do business, he wasn't interested.  So probably they will over time push out more people.

WireNut

« Reply #55 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:21 pm »
I just sold a preamp on usaudiomart. The buyer actually wanted (and still wants) me to send him back some of his money in case the preamp needs repairing in the future  :wtf: Dude you must be insane. This guy has threatened to file a case with paypal and do a bank credit back. I fear he's going to send me back the preamp damaged and want his money back. This is the worst transaction I've ever had in years of buying/selling equipment online.  I've kept all of his emails to me just in case paypal contacts me about a filed claim. This guy is trouble.

He only bought my preamp to hold him over until he finds the one that he’s really after. Once he does, I think he will do anything he can to get his money back from me to purchase the preamp that he’s been looking for all along.

rodge827

« Reply #56 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:27 pm »
Hey Nut, please PM me his name I have a few things for sale over there.

Chris

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #57 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:30 pm »
I just sold a preamp on usaudiomart. The buyer actually wanted (and still wants) me to send him back some of his money in case the preamp needs repairing in the future  :wtf: Dude you must be insane.

Send him the money.  In North Korean currency.

rodge827

« Reply #58 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:32 pm »

Send him the money.  In North Korean currency.

8) :lol:

That'l fix em!

jparkhur

« Reply #59 on: 16 Dec 2014, 07:37 pm »
I have come to the conclusion unless you can reach out and grab someone, or know them personally, or through friend, no eBay, a gon or other.  I recently sold some gig switches on eBay and had a guy try to tell ebay they were broken.  I had them perfect before they left.   I called his bluff, eBay said if he sends it back, he gets his money.  I took the money out of paypal, un connected my bank account and let it roll.  He filled out a UPS transaction and send it to eBay... but never returned it.  I won that one, but I am sure that it could go either way....

JP