Wages

Charles Calkins

Wages
« on: 22 Jul 2020, 04:16 pm »

My youngest Granddaughter has a job with Safeway. She has been there for a couple of months.
     She bought a $12,000 car last week. I don't think she can afford it.  Her mother tells me "No problem"
     She makes $350.00 a week. One weeks check pays on the car loan. Three weeks check  is hers.

Imagine that!!! She is i9 years old and makes $350.00 a week.
      When I was 19 I worked in a gas station and made $40.00 a week. $1.00 an hour
     My oh my how things have changed

Cheers
                                            Charlie

twitch54

Re: Wages
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2020, 04:29 pm »
Charles, hopefully her parents teach the needs beyond the car payment. Insurance, upkeep, rainy day funds and investing........

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2020, 06:25 pm »
Charles, hopefully her parents teach the needs beyond the car payment. Insurance, upkeep, rainy day funds and investing........

If I give them some advice I've learned over the years it goes in one ear and out the other.
           Hope in the future when they get in a jam they will figure out how to get out of it.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2020, 08:03 pm »

Excellent advice!

Those '3 weeks' of her payments won't be all hers. Car salespeople are not honest people; they're sharks to be viewed with skepticism at best. I hope her experience proves to be a positive one for your granddaughter, Charles.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2020, 09:01 pm »
On the flip side, I think it's great SHE bought the car opposed to someone else.  This is her first life lesson in the cost of living. 

Would she treat the car different if someone else payed for it or see it as her blood sweat and tears? 

So a gift for her on the next occasion is a bucket of care care items and Gran pa can have a wax on wax off lesson :P
Alan.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2020, 09:25 pm »
Well, just wildly guessing here, but if you were 19 years old in 1965, then your $40 is valued at about $350 in today's dollars.  :D

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2020, 10:12 pm »
Well, just wildly guessing here, but if you were 19 years old in 1965, then your $40 is valued at about $350 in today's dollars.  :D

Don’t count on it.  Basic costs like housing, transportation, and health care have vastly outstripped inflation.

jcsperson

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2020, 10:22 pm »

Pretty close. The $1.00 minimum wage ended on Sep 3, 1961. Using 1961 in an inflation calculator, $40 a week is worth $344.88 today.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2020, 03:53 pm »

Rusty:
         I was 19 years old in 1950.

Cheers Charlie

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2020, 05:01 pm »
   Rusty:
         I was 19 years old in 1950.

Cheers Charlie

Translated into today's dollars that would be $428 per week.

Since she only makes $350 per week, you are right, things HAVE changed.  They've gotten worse.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2020, 01:11 am »
Translated into today's dollars that would be $428 per week.

Since she only makes $350 per week, you are right, things HAVE changed.  They've gotten worse.
  Tyson:
         Things have gotten a LOT!!!! worse. Even with a steady job young people have to share an apartment or home.
         " The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." Right??

Cheers
                                                              Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2020, 05:40 pm »

Hi Guys:
             My 23 year old granddaughter will start working for a security company next week.
              She will be a security guard at Bank of America bulding in Pleasant Hill Ca. She went to DVC
              and took courses for criminal justice. With all the crap that is happening now she might not
              to work for a police department. Can't blame her. "Defund Police departments"???????
              Who will fight crime if there are no or not enough policemen?

Anyhow back to wages. She starts at $20.00 an hour. $800.00 a week. My how things have
              changed!! When I retired in 1994 I was making $22.00 an hour. $880.00 a week.

I was a heavy duty equipment mechanic worked for City of Marinez. I could have worked a few more
                years if I wanted to. I didn't because I was just all burned out. Have not worked a day since.

Cheers
                                                                 Charlie

Bizarroterl

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2020, 01:10 am »
$800/week in Pleasant Hill, CA?  It's going to be hard to make rent!