new LRS's soft on top

jandrews

new LRS's soft on top
« on: 15 Jun 2022, 07:08 pm »
Hi
I'm still getting used to my new LRS's I took delivery of last month after a 5 month wait.
I've mentioned before in another post that I've been very pleasantly surprised with the bass after reading so much about how it was nonexistent.
I do have a fast Omega sub to use but I often turn it off and the low end is sufficient for certain music.  It could also be the way the speakers are oriented in my room or the associated equipment but ..I'm ok in the low-end department.
My issue and question is about the top end.
It really feels as if the high end is rolled off and kind of muted...veiled and distant.
I've got the speakers up on their little fold down feet with the tweeters on the outside...slightly toed in and spaced correctly.
I do have some Magnarisers on the way.
Have others had similar issue with the top end feeling soft on these speakers?  I was under the impression that the top end energy could be too much on these speakers and mine are nothing like that.
Is it they just aren't broken in yet?  Or is it the silver jumper that came installed ...or the fuse?
Would love to see a little more sparkle from these.

I'm using an AVA Set 120. Which is 120 watts into 4 ohms....and that pairing has received favorable marks by the amp designer.
thank you
JS

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: new LRS's soft on top
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2022, 12:12 am »
Perhaps a bit but it shouldn't be distant sounding.
Break in can take a while, I don't know how many hours you have on them or what volume you're playing them at

I saw your other post with a photo of the set up.
Maybe something as simple as cables (here comes the can of worms)...

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2022, 01:42 am »
I don't track the hours but I'd approximate I've got about 25 hours on them.  I listen at moderate volume ...about low 60's spl on average
Cables are Supra Rondo 13 awg (http://www.jenving.com/products/view/rondo-2x2.5-1000000693)

I should say that the whole image doesn't seem distant.  Just the top end.

They sound pretty amazing actually ...but there's just this feeling that the highs are rolled off.

I'm coming from a very different speaker...single driver, high efficiency speakers with a whizzer cone ...so there is just a totally different presentation between the two , but my previous speakers seems to resolve more treble info.

I'm also wondering if it's the jumper or the fuse.  Assuming most people swap out that jumper for a piece of speaker cable?

thank you

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2022, 01:54 am »
I have never heard that treble is rolled or distant in Maggies but I own the 1.6's  and MMG's and have heard my friends 1.7's and 3.7's.  Put your ear up to each tweeter  and see if they are working.  Do you have the jumpers in? 

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2022, 05:38 am »
I don't track the hours but I'd approximate I've got about 25 hours on them.  I listen at moderate volume ...about low 60's spl on average
Cables are Supra Rondo 13 awg (http://www.jenving.com/products/view/rondo-2x2.5-1000000693)

I should say that the whole image doesn't seem distant.  Just the top end.

They sound pretty amazing actually ...but there's just this feeling that the highs are rolled off.

I'm coming from a very different speaker...single driver, high efficiency speakers with a whizzer cone ...so there is just a totally different presentation between the two , but my previous speakers seems to resolve more treble info.

I'm also wondering if it's the jumper or the fuse.  Assuming most people swap out that jumper for a piece of speaker cable?

thank you

Thats one of the differences between a "CONE" shaped diaphragm and a "FLAT" one.   The whizzer cone makes the treble more pronounced so it sounds more forward, while a flat diaphragm will be less pronounced and or laid back sounding.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2022, 05:40 am »
4 things:
1) If you look at GR Danny's measurements from his upgrade kit, the top end is rolled down compared to everything else.  It's far from a flat frequency response.  So you might want to look at his upgrade kit.
https://gr-research.com/product/magnepan-lrs/
2) Planar speakers have very different characteristics.  Have you owned any before?  The top end might sound like there is less if you are used to a speaker that has extra top end (like many single driver boxes which have a spike somewhere in the upper mid range or treble range due to the woofer beaming).  I find planars to be the most accurate speakers in the treble region and they sound as though the speaker disappears but all of the treble is still there.
3) Planar speakers definitely need some break in time.
4) Do you have the ability to do a frequency sweep measurement?  That will really tell you what's going.  Are they too close to a wall and reflections are causing issues? 
Just some thoughts on this.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2022, 09:45 am »
Pretty much what everybody said.
Give it some time, they're brand new and the Magnarisers come with jumpers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2022, 01:03 pm »
Way back in the day of Acoustat panel technology you had to really fire those babies up for a day or two and "stretch" the panels to work them into shape, so to speak. Not sure the new technology in panels need that.

johnto

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2022, 12:47 am »
They need a lot more then 25 hrs to bloom. I'm sure you'll notice dramatic improvements when you get 100 or 200 hrs on them. The AVA should be a great match and make them sing.
Enjoy

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2022, 08:33 am »
There are certain capacitors that can help out the top end become more prominent/forward sounding with some added bite/attack and can be used as by pass caps.