DAC for around $700- Suggestions? Opinions?

kbuzz3

DAC for around $700- Suggestions? Opinions?
« on: 16 Jul 2013, 08:28 pm »
 Hello all im in the market for a $700 USB dac plus/minus.   I have been demoing the schiit modi as a stop gap, but im having difficulty with its sonic signature and need to step up to something that can get high hats and note decay right.  My reference for dacs is cymbals,  most poor dacs sound harsh metallic and hashy on this sound.

By way of reference my all time favorite dac was a john Wright meitner bitsream, but i mistakenly sold it last year.  Id wait for a one to come up used but since its not usb id have to buy a converter anyway-something id like to avoid.  I also enjoyed the mhdt paradesa usb but it was a bit congested sounding on some tracks.

So since most dacs are not exchangable  here is the short list. I would appreicate any comments or suggestions.

Bifrost uber
Micromega My Dac
Metrum Acoustics NOS Mini DAC
Resonessence Labs Concero
Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192 (over 1k)
PS Audio Nuwave

Brad

Re: DAC for around $700- Suggestions? Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2013, 08:39 pm »
John Kenny Ciunas - excellent Redbook/hirez PCM battery-powered DAC
    Will definitely nail your cymbal issue

Teac UD-501 (mine was under $800)
    DSD!

jazzcan

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:03 pm »
I just moved my john wright meitner bitstream out of my system in February and replaced it with a Yulong Sabre D-18.   

There's a lot written about about Yulong on Head-Fi.   I'm quite impressed.   

Good Luck.

Rich

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:14 pm »
A used REGA DAC would be in that price range + has user selectable filter options to tailor the sound somewhat.  But I found it ultimately to be too soft. 

I'd give that Bifrost Uber a try, or another thing a bit off the radar would be a Hegel HD11 demo (should be about $700 : new retail $1200).  Both use 32 bit AKM dac chips, but I suspect the back end between the two will be the deciding factor.  The Bifrost has the more advanced USB : so if that's important to you, that might tilt you in that direction. And of course the trial period.

On paper the TEAC UD-501 seems very impressive - particularly if you can get it for less than $800.  Would like to see more reviews though just to calm my concern that the excitement may be because it's one of the cheapest DSD capable DACs. 

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:35 pm »
A used REGA DAC would be in that price range + has user selectable filter options to tailor the sound somewhat.  But I found it ultimately to be too soft. 

I'd give that Bifrost Uber a try, or another thing a bit off the radar would be a Hegel HD11 demo (should be about $700 : new retail $1200).  Both use 32 bit AKM dac chips, but I suspect the back end between the two will be the deciding factor.  The Bifrost has the more advanced USB : so if that's important to you, that might tilt you in that direction. And of course the trial period.

On paper the TEAC UD-501 seems very impressive - particularly if you can get it for less than $800.  Would like to see more reviews though just to calm my concern that the excitement may be because it's one of the cheapest DSD capable DACs.

+1 on the Uber Bifrost. There was a Stereophile mag review just written on it by John Iverson. He put it in the top of the heap of DACs at $1K or below. I have the Uber and it was a big step up from the original Bifrost. Of course, you would need to get the latest USB version. The guys at Schiit Audio have already made good on the upgrade replacement boards.... that way they can make the product better sounding in the future.

I have not heard the other DACs on the list, therefore I have some bias here... But the Uber Bifrost matches my Benchmark DAC1 at 1/2 the cost. The DAC1 USB also has a great headphone amp and makes a tremendous preamp, if you want or need that. That DAC would be my second choice. You might get a used one for under $1K.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:38 pm »
During the past 6 mo. I've seen several dB Audio Labs Tranquility dacs for sale under $700.  They were very highly thought of if your main source is redbook instead of hi rez.  Guys whose ears are more learned than mine have not been overly impressed with Schiit.

Airborn

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2013, 07:37 am »
If you want to try DSD, I recommend you try the TEAC UD-501.  Can be had for about $750 new and plays DSD 64 and 128 as well as redbook and hi rez files very well imo. if you don't like it, can likely be sold at no loss.

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2013, 10:53 am »

Eat your heart out!
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/teac-ud-501-dual-mono-dac-dsd-streaming-14289/

Rizzo

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2013, 04:13 pm »
I own the Micromega MyDAC and the Schiit Bifrost with Uber upgrade and USB.

I would say that the MyDAC may not be the more accurate of the two but, IMHO, is definitely more fun to listen to.

Very natural sounding in my system.

avta

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2013, 04:22 pm »
+1 on the Micromega Mydac.

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2013, 09:19 pm »
I've had a bit of experience comparing three of the dacs you listed.  Of the three, the Lindemann is the most natural and refined sounding of the lot, but as you indicated costs more than your budget.  I did a full review of the Lindemann for Stereo Times and thought the unit is high value.  I compared the Lindemann to several more expensive dacs including Beachmark and Weiss to name two, and it beat them all.  Unfortunately, the company is no longer focusing on the U.S. market; otherwise I would have bought the review unit.   I also agree with Rizzo that the Micromega Mydac is more analogue sounding than the Schitt Bifrost, though with less detail, so I prefer the Micromega.  So it depends on your sonic preference on which to choose.  I have heard but not compared the PS Audio, though I find the unit overpriced.   

Paul

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2013, 09:27 pm »
Having heard the TEAC UD-501 @ the recent CAF, can say it sounds smooth and nice & w/ all the bells & whistles you won't suffer audionervosa.  Can be had from recent reports at $780 or so new.

Have heard the Lindeman USB convertor, and honestly it sounded as good or better than anything else I heard.  I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of paying $300 or so for something a bit bigger than a matchbox.  Bel Canto was smart & did the same thing in bigger more impressive looking wrapper (case).  ANYWAY - just trying to confirm that Lindemann gear can sound very good - and agreed they don't seem to market themselves well in the USA.

wisnon

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2013, 09:40 pm »
Yes, i have the Lindemann DDC and it sounds great. I just got an iFi i-link and will compare them.