Mono placement in system

goose

Mono placement in system
« on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:37 am »
Hello,

Looking for a new amp and the new mono's caught my eye.  I have limited space in my racks.  Has anyone  stacked them on top of each other?  I know that this isn't usually the best way to place your equipment but I may be forced into this type of configuration.

Also, any comments of how good these amps are in relation to the Symphonic line?  Thanks.

Ron S

Mono placement in system
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2003, 03:33 am »
Another stacker, here. Will probably get a digital pic of them in the next day or so. These beasts should be quite a stabilizing factor in any rack that can support their weight. Not a whole lot of racks fit them, though, as I discovered in my search for an appropriate new rack, so be careful of the dimensions as well as the weight-bearing capacity.

HTH

mgalusha

Mono placement in system
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2003, 03:52 am »
Nice pic Marbles. :)

It's not obvious in the picture but the top amp is sitting about 1/2" further back. If they are not offset the front plates touch enough to prevent the front feet of the top amp from touching.

And yeah, the rack isn't going anywhere with 130lbs of amps on the bottom. :) I think the added weight inproved the turntable's performace as well. Played a german pressing of AC/DC High Voltage last night and it was the best I've ever heard it sound. Not exactly audiophile demo material but man did it rock.

Mike

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Mono placement in system
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:45 pm »
My monos are currently on a rack (big rack, side-by-side), but that will change as soon as I have longer interconnects to the pre-amp - I'm moving them right behind the speaker terminals, facing the speaker inputs with the outputs. At 8" in length my speaker cables will become irrelevant (the IC will only be 6 feet max, so I'm not shifting problems from one wire to another).

Once I get all 4 monos for bi-amping, they will have to sit on top of each other behind the speakers.

Klaus - is there a way to get more/stronger vibrapods for the lower unit? I assume they ship with vibrapods appropriate to support the weight of a single amp.

Peter