L O O NG IC's, Short speaker wires?

BlackCat

« on: 21 Feb 2003, 04:57 pm »
Now that I have my Xt monoblocks, I'm thinking of putting them right behind the speakers, requiring only about 1.5 feet of speaker wire, but requiring 3 meter interconnects.  Currently running 1 meter DH Labs BL-1 interconnects with 3 meter Red Dawn speaker wire.  I also have a passive / active preamp (very seldom does it ever go active).  Looking for suggestions on IC / speaker wire combos for this new configuration.

scottpretti

Re: L O O NG IC's, Short speaker wires?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 11:18 pm »
I've ordered three monos for my front HT rig and will be moving my all my equipment to the front (previously on the side)  This question also interests me. Looking for any suggestions :D .

EAD Ovation Plus and Adire 281s(R and L), Adire LLC (center)

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2003, 12:04 am »
The general rule is short IC's (ASAP :lol: ) with a passive preamp.  With an active pre it is less of an issue especially with balanced cables.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Re: L O O NG IC's, Short speaker wires?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2003, 01:45 am »
Quote from: BlackCat
Now that I have my Xt monoblocks, I'm thinking of putting them right behind the speakers, requiring only about 1.5 feet of speaker wire, but requiring 3 meter interconnects.  Currently running 1 meter DH Labs BL-1 interconnects with 3 meter Red Dawn speaker wire.  I also have a passive / active preamp (very seldom does it ever go active).  Looking for suggestions on IC / speaker wire combos for this new configuration.

Check out my post regarding this over at the asylum:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=77049

my wires were shorter than yours, but the idea is pretty much the same. This was a pretty controlled test, with pretty much no variables other than cable lengths.

Bottom line - ditch the long speaker cables.

Peter

nrenter

I hear you...
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2003, 01:52 am »
That's one of the biggest issues I have with monoblock amps - I want to have them right near my speakers (using only 1m or so of speaker cable). However, I want my source (CD, turntable, and pre-amp - especially if the pre-amp does not have a remote) right near my listening chair so I can change sources, volume, etc. without having to get up, walk across the room, and disturb my "state of mind."

What's a guy to do?