Magnepan LRS

josh358

Magnepan LRS
« on: 27 Mar 2019, 11:58 pm »
For anyone who hasn't heard, there's now a successor to the MMG -- the all-quasi ribbon LRS:

http://www.magnepan.com/model_LRS

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2019, 01:10 pm »
Awesome!  I've been wondering if they'd ever get the full range quasi ribbon into the MMG, the name change to LRS seems appropriate for such a big jump.  And still at $650?  That is what's really amazing, I was expecting a line about this technology doesn't come cheap, but no, same ol price.  Outstanding Magnapan, great job!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm »
Good deal!
I think my MMGs are old enough to vote, maybe replacements are in order.

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2019, 11:42 pm »
They're so cheap it's hard to think of an excuse *not* to buy them.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2019, 12:39 am »
Wow!  I remember my old SMG IIIa with fondness but these would be killer.

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2019, 01:01 am »
Wendell says the phone is ringing off the hook.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2019, 09:19 pm »
Looks like they've got a winner:

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-you-ready-for-bona-fide-high-end-speakers-for-650-a-pair/

Something for us regular folks who might wear a tennis shoe or the occasional python boot.
I think what I'm going to do is get a set of these for the wife and then set up my old MMGs like a giant set of headphones for the desk.

josh358

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2019, 10:06 pm »
Heh, that's why I originally got my MMG's -- as office speakers.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm »
Looks like they've got a winner:

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-you-ready-for-bona-fide-high-end-speakers-for-650-a-pair/

Something for us regular folks who might wear a tennis shoe or the occasional python boot.
I think what I'm going to do is get a set of these for the wife and then set up my old MMGs like a giant set of headphones for the desk.

But are they destined to take the place of the mud shark, in your mythology?

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2019, 10:15 pm »
Good deal!
I think my MMGs are old enough to vote, maybe replacements are in order.

We have a pair of MG-IIB that are so old.......................

The wires on the tweeters turned to dust, about a year ago. Running them full range sounds better than one might imagine.

And certainly better than what our resident speaker experimenter can whip up. (Yeah, he is so mad that he no longer comes around! Says it is because it is too far to drive now, and we still won't let him use any of our test equipment. Even though we now have the extra room. I'm so mean.)

OK.............if you can live with something that takes a nosedive above 5 kHz or so, they sound great.

bummrush

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2019, 01:09 am »
Would love to compare them to my mmg's.Never heard they were in essence made to work with cheaper gear.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2019, 12:11 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqchci3AhU

Audiophiliac review, evidently it mates up well with Schiit gear.

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2019, 12:19 am »
Well, I heard them at AXPONA and they were jaw-droppingly good. It's almost embarrassing to say that they were just about the best sound at the show. Definitely the best imaging -- better than the 30.7 demo I heard the night before (but that demo had great pizza). Great percussion and wonderful midrange. And they played loud, though not without a bit of hardness -- these are not 20.7's, and Wendell warns that in a large room they'll start to sound like a midrange and tweeter because they won't couple to it, so you'd need a sub or a DWM or something (or more sensibly a bigger model). They basically play where the MMG plays in terms of level and frequency response, but sound a lot more like the .7's, they don't have any of that veiling that the MMG's had -- lucid with stat-like clarity, well balanced, and entirely of a piece. Everyone who heard them raved.

At $650, these are the kind of speakers you find an excuse to buy -- bathroom speakers? doghouse speakers?

I'm thinking they'd make great surrounds . . .

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2019, 12:41 pm »
Josh.. What is up with the amplifier in the pictures? IT looks like a MAGNEPAN amplifer???
Is this a one off? or something Magnepan is thinking of making?

Blackmore

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2019, 12:52 pm »
Hi Elizabeth

Sorry to jump in, but that is a prototype Magnepan amp that may or may not be brought to market.  They are seeing if it can be made at the price point and then marketed by Magnepan.  Sort of looks like a Bryston case, but it is not a product at this time.  The combination of that amp, some Bryston front end and the LRS was pretty spectacular.

Mark

josh358

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2019, 02:02 pm »
Really hoping they make it, too. It isn't intended to compete with super high end amps, it's more for the midrange Maggie buyer who wants a high current made in America amp, but it sounded great with the LRS and I've been hearing really good things about it.

AvsFan

« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:42 pm »
Josh.. What is up with the amplifier in the pictures? IT looks like a MAGNEPAN amplifer???
Is this a one off? or something Magnepan is thinking of making?

Am I missing something. What picture and what amp?

josh358

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:57 pm »
Am I missing something. What picture and what amp?
Pictures of the LRS demo at Axpona -- they were driving them with Magnepan's prototype amp:

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2019, 07:42 pm »
Pictures of the LRS demo at Axpona -- they were driving them with Magnepan's prototype amp:

Awesome! Thanks for posting. I am VERY interested in this thread and the one on Audiokarma. I ordered a pair of these about three weeks ago. My local HI-FI guy is calling Wendell today to ask him if we are close. Hopefully will have an ETA soon. Does ANYONE actually own these mythical speakers yet?  :D

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2019, 09:26 pm »
Excellent! The sound I heard was pretty unbelievable. Don't know what the lead time is, they've gotten so many orders that the web site says to leave an email and they'll get back to you when they can. But Volunteer on the Planar Forum has a pair and has been burning them in:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=mug&m=236083