POOGE: CyberPower CP850 UPS

Hi-Fi Obsession

POOGE: CyberPower CP850 UPS
« on: 20 Aug 2015, 02:56 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Having learned the acronym "POOGE" here on the PI Audio Circle (Progressive Optimization of Otherwise Generic Equipment), I figured I'd toss something out for feedback.

I currently own this unit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=981756&gclid=CjwKEAjw9dWuBRDFs9mHv-C9_FkSJADo58iMRi0KvTPosEcm-v6tchPcO77SPN55PTxtbLKUnIWNLRoCVfzw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

It was required of me to buy this to uphold the warranty on my Baetis Audio Revolution II Music Server.  It is currently plugged into the wall, not my Uber.  Turns out, my Schiit Gungnir DAC also sounds fantastic plugged into it.  I've tried the DAC in the wall and in the UberBUSS, and the CyberPower beats them both (I'm in rollo's camp with not plugging DACs into the UberBUSS).  The CyberPower gives the best combination of dynamics preservation (which the Uber does not do), and grain-free power (which is noticeably poor direct into the wall).

After enlightening experiences with power cords and power outlets, I'm wondering, how do I go about improving this unit?  The outlets and cord are generic.  Any ideas where to start?  I find it very impressive for the $120 I spent on it, but there's gotta be room to move up.  I haven't tried opening it, but perhaps someone out there is familiar with the CyberPower line of products.

Rob

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: POOGE: CyberPower CP850 UPS
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2015, 04:00 pm »
"POOGE" is from a series of DIY articles in the "Audio Amateur'" magazine way back in the 1970-1980's.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2015, 07:55 pm »
At first I thought this might be regenerating A/C to provide a super clean new sine wave A/C output, like the PS Audio Perfectwave. However, the "sinewave" part of the name refers to the waveform when this is on battery power. Apparently other battery backups do not produce a sine wave A/C output when on battery power, and so they don't work with some types of devices that might plug into them.

The CyberPower does filter the A/C coming in, and protect against voltage sags, so it's cleaning up the sine wave A/C power coming in. I went ahead and got one for my Schiit Yggdrasil. I've also found DACs not to sound as good with the UberBUSS (which I use just for amp and preamp).

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2015, 08:01 pm »
Newzoo,

I've read over on Head-fi that folks used this very unit to ensure their Yggy stays powered on at all times, lest they lose power and have to wait days for the Yggy to sound good again.  At any rate, I feel confident you will be pleased with the sound of your DAC with this unit.

Rob