DIY Power Supply for Eversolo Streamer

Early B.

DIY Power Supply for Eversolo Streamer
« on: 10 Apr 2024, 01:21 pm »
"The sound is in the power."

Using this adage, I commissioned the build of a custom external 12V power supply for my Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer. I bought the streamer used and it shipped with the upgraded LPS from Vinshine Audio. Even so, I figured I could squeeze more juice from this streamer. Teddy Pardo sells an external power supply for my streamer, but it looked "too small" for the price. I wanted a ridiculously overbuilt one based on an AMB design. The custom power supply is nearly as large as the streamer and weighs about 10 lbs vs. the 1-pound Vinshine version. (I still measure amps and power supplies by the pound. :o)   

Although it hasn't burned in yet, the power supply upgrade sounds cleaner, more relaxed, more powerful, more musical, and more dynamic. The percussions are outstanding! On some songs, there are echoes that I've never heard before due to the quieter background. For about $500, the cost was well worth the investment.

Jon L

Re: DIY Power Supply for Eversolo Streamer
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2024, 02:25 am »
Do you have the backside photo of how things are hooked up? 
If Eversolo A6 truly only needs a 12V rail, why not a 12V Battery? 

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2024, 03:34 am »
Do you have the backside photo of how things are hooked up? 
If Eversolo A6 truly only needs a 12V rail, why not a 12V Battery?

I don't have a backside photo, but the LPS is connected to the Eversolo via this:  https://teddypardo.com/product/panel-adapter/

I'm not convinced a 12V battery would sound better than an LPS. 

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2024, 01:06 pm »
I have the Pardo PS for my A6.  Also bought the A6 used, but I didn't have the A6 for very long before installing the Pardo.  Even so, the sound seemed immediately cleaner and more relaxed.  Now that I've had it for several months, I seem to enjoy the sound more and more over time, even though I still find it a little thin and too sibilant.  I've considered grabbing a used Master Edition A6, but the very few impressions I've read of those who have compared A6 to A6 ME with upgraded power supplies were that the delta was meaningful, but not that big.  The delta to the A8 from the A6 ME seems more substantial.  I suspect having separate PS's for the audio circuits and the display/etc brings extra refinement, and may possibly banish that sibilance issue.

That said, based on the last two years of Capital Audio Fest, the only digital systems I've found that truly have realistic sounding sibilant sounds were running Innuos Statements.  I found this to be very consistent; every Innuos Statement system was doing great, and I didn't find any other digital platform that didn't have some excessive sibilance, even if they sounded great on other fronts.  The only exception might be the Innuos Pulse running through the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker that had similar performance to the Statement as well.  That system had QLN speakers, though, so that probably helped.  Interestingly, that room was directly across the hall from the Eversolo room.  After being in the Innuos/QLN room, I could tell instantly from the hall the Eversolo room just sounded tizzy and bright, and I didn't even walk in!

Wish I could afford the Innuos stuff, but Eversolo is hitting it right for my price point, and the operability features are absolutely perfect from a WAF standpoint, unlike the Innuos.  It is what it is.  But I'm still pondering trying either the ME or A8.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2024, 02:24 pm »
I have the Pardo PS for my A6.  Also bought the A6 used, but I didn't have the A6 for very long before installing the Pardo.  Even so, the sound seemed immediately cleaner and more relaxed.  Now that I've had it for several months, I seem to enjoy the sound more and more over time, even though I still find it a little thin and too sibilant.  I've considered grabbing a used Master Edition A6, but the very few impressions I've read of those who have compared A6 to A6 ME with upgraded power supplies were that the delta was meaningful, but not that big.  The delta to the A8 from the A6 ME seems more substantial.  I suspect having separate PS's for the audio circuits and the display/etc brings extra refinement, and may possibly banish that sibilance issue.

That said, based on the last two years of Capital Audio Fest, the only digital systems I've found that truly have realistic sounding sibilant sounds were running Innuos Statements.  I found this to be very consistent; every Innuos Statement system was doing great, and I didn't find any other digital platform that didn't have some excessive sibilance, even if they sounded great on other fronts.  The only exception might be the Innuos Pulse running through the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker that had similar performance to the Statement as well.  That system had QLN speakers, though, so that probably helped.  Interestingly, that room was directly across the hall from the Eversolo room.  After being in the Innuos/QLN room, I could tell instantly from the hall the Eversolo room just sounded tizzy and bright, and I didn't even walk in!

Wish I could afford the Innuos stuff, but Eversolo is hitting it right for my price point, and the operability features are absolutely perfect from a WAF standpoint, unlike the Innuos.  It is what it is.  But I'm still pondering trying either the ME or A8.

This is good to know. Yeah, I also looked at the Innous gear until I saw the price. I don't do any streaming, so my needs are minimal. I use the Eversolo strictly as a transport, so I don't know if moving up to the A8 would be beneficial. One of the reasons I got the LPS built for my A6 ME is to stay off the streamer merry-go-round for a while. Nowadays, streamers have become like AV receivers -- they do everything: preamp, DAC, streamer, transport, amplification, etc. I don't want to spend several grand for a streamer just to use the transport feature only. I'm hoping the software and user-friendliness improve on Raspberry Pi or a similar option so I can build my own transport next time.     

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2024, 03:19 pm »
Oh, I didn't realize you have the ME.  Good to know.  I was gonna ask if you had considered upgrading to the ME, as I do think the better clocking has to help even with using only as a transport (which is how I also use my A6).  I'm with you on the multi-tool nature of these streamers, but it's a necessary evil in order to get the easy user interfaces.  I had an ultraRendu for four years that (as memory serves) sounded significantly better than the Eversolo in the warmth/naturalness department (and I suspect on overall detail retrieval too).  But it crapped out on me, and I never liked the user interface - it was glitchy, depended on the availability of other companies' apps to control with my phone/ipad, and I could never get my wife to use it.  After about a year of using my laptop with a Wyred4Sound Recovery USB reclocker, Eversolo has been my attempt to get something close to the ultraRendu sound quality with much better user operability.  The latter is truly excellent, and wife uses it all the time.  Still a ways to go on the sound quality front, even though it's really very good. 

The only real comment I've found of someone who has compared all the iterations as a streamer was on Audiogon (user: dwest1023):

"Fyi, I have now owned the Eversolo A6, A6 master, A6 master with LPS, and the new A8. Only used these as streamers and mostly local file playing. Yes, they all sounded different. As most of you know, the A6 is very forward and can be bright. The Master is a little less so and the LPS adds some refinement. The A8 Is VERY good and fixes all the nasties. Very refined sound, but will not be to everyone's taste. It was not mine, granted  I did not put much time on, before I returned it. The sound was just a little too laid back for my taste and system. For the money the A8 is a very good kit, and it compared very favorably, to the HI Fi Rose 130 I had on hand. So much so, I sold the 130. I ended up with a Aurender N200. Bingo! that one worked the best for me."

Thanks for sharing your experience.

uncola

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:53 pm »
I have an a6 ME, I installed the beatechnik LPS inside it.. I too considered an external power supply.. with the lps installed I feel pretty satisfied with the ever solo as a streamer and dac too