Need tube preamp recommendations please

dB Cooper

Re: Need tube preamp recommendations please
« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2018, 01:53 pm »
Van Alstine T10RB, well under budget even with remote option.

Remote volume and mute, no remote input switching.

roscoe65

« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2018, 02:37 pm »
I haven’t heard AVA products, but DB’s recommendation of this 6DJ8-based linestage gets my endorsement.  Some of the best sound I even got from my system was an old Audible Illusions 2D preamp.  It used two 6DJ8’s and what would now be considered average quality party’s.  Sound was juicy, dimensional, and had a lot of energy.

The AVA preamp seems to spec pretty closely to the AI linestage.  As an added bonus, it takes 6CG7 tubes as well (small bottle 6SN7, popular with Conrad Johnson) for better system matching.  $1,200 with remote control is a bargain.

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:03 pm »
Here’s a capacitor coupled pre you can’t go wrong with:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8g1ee-audio-note-m-1-phono-tube

Also look into Audio Note Kits L2 that can be built by Digital Pete:

http://ankaudiokits.com/l2line.html

Emil

« Reply #23 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:13 pm »
Linear Tube Audio MZ2.  Even fully loaded with upgraded outboard LPS and remote only $2100 new direct from company.  Less if you don't want the upgraded power supply to start with.

Thanks again, guys. All great recommendations.

The Linear Tube Audio MZ2 was not on my radar. Thanks Jack
$1500 with standard power supply with the option to upgrade the power supply in the future. Choice is 6sn7s or 12sn7s. Remote control.
Designed by David Berning. 14 day return policy.

Hmmmm?

Emil

« Reply #24 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:17 pm »
Here’s a capacitor coupled pre you can’t go wrong with:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8g1ee-audio-note-m-1-phono-tube

Also look into Audio Note Kits L2 that can be built by Digital Pete:

http://ankaudiokits.com/l2line.html

Thanks Rodger but no remote. Thanks for the effort

rodge827

« Reply #25 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:22 pm »
With the L2 a remote volume control of your choice can be installed. Here is a very good remote option:

http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

Emil

« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:30 pm »
Van Alstine T10RB, well under budget even with remote option.

Remote volume and mute, no remote input switching.

Right under my nose here :lol:

Emil

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:36 pm »
With the L2 a remote volume control of your choice can be installed. Here is a very good remote option:

http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

I dont see it on the website. I'll send them an email.

Who's Digital Pete?

rodge827

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:39 pm »
I dont see it on the website. I'll send them an email.

Who's Digital Pete?

He is the guy who does their builds for those who don’t want to build the kit.
Brian Smith of ANK will put you in touch with him.

Emil

« Reply #29 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:41 pm »
Based on the OP's description of his system, horn loaded speakers and 300b amplifier, and feeling a passive is showing too much "truth", I think he/she is on the right track with an active tube preamp.  There may be noise and gain issues however depending on system efficiency, etc.  The recommendation of the MicroZOTL is a good one.  It has very low output impedance, is dead silent, and the gain can be lowered by using 12au7 instead of 12aT7 tubes in the input/driver spot. I replaced a quality passive and buffer with a MZ in my horn based system (102db) with a great improvement in transparency and dynamics. It will not sound tubey however, or soften high frequencies if that's a goal.

As mentioned in the OP's other thread about preamp tubes (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156685.msg1676900#new), the Musical Design/Concepts preamp I mentioned does give great flexibility by allowing not just tube rolling, but the ability to change tube type to best match a system, or just have fun experimenting.

I have both a MicroZOTL and a Chameleon in my systems.

Thanks Rusty
Another LTA recommendation and this from a horn guy.
Do you have the upgeaded power supply? Using 6sn7s?
Concerned about resale value of the Chameleon

Emil

« Reply #30 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:45 pm »

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 1 Apr 2018, 05:19 pm »
I have my IFI Pro ICAN for sale for $1500 on the AC trader. Sounds great and with a lot of features. I have an extra set of tubes that I will throw in. After my emergency is over, I will buy another one of these.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 1 Apr 2018, 09:35 pm »
I'll keep my eyes open for a deHavilland for you - I see you're beating the bushes as well.
A couple seem to pop up every so often and then they disappear.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-dehavilland-ultraverve-preamp-octal-tubes-6sn7-price-drop.859558/

Not a 3 and it may be gone by now.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: 2 Apr 2018, 12:38 am »
Thanks Rusty
Another LTA recommendation and this from a horn guy.
Do you have the upgeaded power supply? Using 6sn7s?
Concerned about resale value of the Chameleon
I still have the original switching supply.

The current model is switchable between 6sn7 and 12sn7.

No concern about resale on the Chameleon.  I had it built with top level parts, outboard power supply,  and tube rectification.  Not going to sell it.  Awesome flexibility, and sound quality.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: 2 Apr 2018, 02:35 pm »
Thanks Rusty
Another LTA recommendation and this from a horn guy......
I should probably make clear that I wasn't able to use the Chameleon with my horn speakers because of the gain/noise issues. I need a silent system and that's hard at 102db.

I use the MZ with the lower gain 12au7 input/driver tubes. I think it reduces gain to just 9db.  It's dead quiet with the horns where the Chameleon had audible hiss from 4-5 ft away. It has 18-23 db of gain depending on which tube board is used. Be sure any other active pre you consider has low gain, or noise will likely be an issue.

People should know it is not recommended to use the MZ with direct coupled SS amps.  It will pass dc if turned off with the amp on, or during a power failure, etc. Not a problem with your 300b amps, though. It's a headamp that's been modified to be used as a preamp too by LTA.

Emil

« Reply #35 on: 2 Apr 2018, 02:43 pm »
I should probably make clear that I wasn't able to use the Chameleon with my horn speakers because of the gain/noise issues. I need a silent system and that's hard at 102db.

I use the MZ with the lower gain 12au7 input/driver tubes. I think it reduces gain to just 9db.  It's dead quiet with the horns where the Chameleon had audible hiss from 4-5 ft away. It has 18-23 db of gain depending on which tube board is used. Be sure any other active pre you consider has low gain, or noise will likely be an issue.

People should know it is not recommended to use the MZ with direct coupled SS amps.  It will pass dc if turned off with the amp on, or during a power failure, etc. Not a problem with your 300b amps, though. It's a headamp that's been modified to be used as a preamp too by LTA.

Thanks Rusty. Good to know

Emil

« Reply #36 on: 2 Apr 2018, 02:44 pm »
I'll keep my eyes open for a deHavilland for you - I see you're beating the bushes as well.
A couple seem to pop up every so often and then they disappear.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-dehavilland-ultraverve-preamp-octal-tubes-6sn7-price-drop.859558/

Not a 3 and it may be gone by now.

2 people just offered to sell me their dehav verve 3 with remote just when I was focused on the LTA.

These should be our problems in life

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #37 on: 2 Apr 2018, 10:27 pm »
You know what the deHavilland is like.
In the mood to experiment?  It looks like you can return it if you don't like it.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #38 on: 2 Apr 2018, 11:00 pm »
I say forget a particular make and model. Read up on good ones from various makers.
Watch the classifieds at Audiogon.
Soon enough a great tube preamp will show up at a good price.
Buy that one.

For example: I was looking for any decent tube preamp to use as a 'glorified tube buffer' years back.
I bought a cheap buffer and it was useless.
So a real tube preamp was the ticket.
Well I found one I NEVER HEARD OF before. VAC Standard.
Quick Google and hey OK.
I bought it for $1500. ($4500 list plus it had upgrades factory installed worth $1500 more)
Naturally this was from an audiophile who just wanted to sell it to another audiophile.(so not from someone trying to squeeze the last $ from it)
I even paid $125 to FLY it instead of ground.

Such deals are around and can be found.
Just have to watch for them.
Now if I had a preconceived notion I want preamp XYZ .. I would never have grabbed this great preamp. Just saying.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #39 on: 2 Apr 2018, 11:06 pm »
Do you guys and gals think that Mystsre CA11 for $1095 I linked is bad?