Caps. . .

pjchappy

Caps. . .
« on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:30 am »
Well, this has nothing to do w/ what's going on in the VMPS forum regarding caps. . .

I was just wondering. . .as I have 0 technical knowledge of the audio world. . . how various caps are made as to have such a dramatic effect on sound? .. .

Hope that's not too broad of a question. . .however, I have a feeling it is.

p

JohnR

Caps. . .
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2004, 10:02 am »
Well, this is probably more of a lab question than a starter question, but I'll have a go at giving some answers. At some point, things get more complicated then I understand and a little further on the arguments get purely subjective, so let's see how we go :)

A capacitor is constructed by putting two conductors in close proximity. Imagine two metal sheets a metre square, and put them a millimeter apart. Connect a wire to each, and you have a capacitor (don't ask me what value, I forgot the math for that a looong time ago :lol: ). What happens is that if you apply a voltage to the two sheets, an electric field is set up between them, and you get "positive" charge stored on one sheet and "negative" charge on the other. The bigger the sheets, the more capacitance. The closer the sheets are together, the more capacitance.

If you ever pulled apart an old radio you might have seen a little gadget consisting of two sets of metal fans. The tuning dial caused the fans to move in and out, thus varying the amount of overlap between the two sets. That is a variable capacitor (variable because the effective size of the two sets of sheets varies), and is how the tuning frequency of the radio is varied.

Now, to get two sheets of metal *really* close together, you can't rely on just having an air gap; instead, you put a thin sheet of insulator between them. This is what is referred to as the "dielectric" (more later). Imagine if you put a sheet of ClingWrap between the two sheets and then put the sheets together. They would be insulated from each other, but now they are very close together so the capacitance is very high.

In order to manufacturer these things, you can't be using one-meter square sheets of metal. So you make very thin foil, an inch (say) wide, and you put two strips of it together with some ClingWrap between them. Then you roll them up together (with more ClingWrap), and attached two leads and a label, and sell it for a dollar.

JohnR

Caps. . .
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2004, 10:20 am »
Now, the dielectric is probably the biggest effect on the sound. Someone might correct me here, but basically, very few devices are completely linear. (Completely linear means that if you double the input, you double the output. Ie no distortion). The amount of capacitance is affected by what is known as the dielectric constant, which affects the amount of electric flux that the dielectric carries. And the dielectric "constant" turns out not to be constant but to vary with frequency and applied voltage. In these terms, I believe air (or vacuum) is the best dielectric, followed by teflon, then other plastic materials, then the oxide film used in electrolytic capacitors.

Capacitors, being made of real materials, are not "pure" capacitance. They also have a resistance and inductance in series with the capacitance (these are called ESR and ESL). In most applications, you would prefer these resistive and inductive components to be as low as possible. These components can increase the impedance of the capacitor at higher frequencies, which may have an audible effect in power supplies, for example.

I suppose that gets me back to the original question :oops: As I said, capacitors with more linear dielectrics and lower ESR and ESL are likely to have better audio performance, when used in a circuit position that shows up these differences. So, film and foil capacitors tend to be better than electrolytic capacitors, although a lot larger and more expensive too. Caps with teflon dielectric tend to be more highly regarded than caps with polystyrene dielectric. At some point though it becomes hard to see what technical differences lead to particular subjective reports (as it often is in audio).

Anyway, I hope this helps answer your question in some way :-)

JohnR

WerTicus

Caps. . .
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2004, 01:35 pm »
you dont want to have electrolitic caps doing anything other than power filtration

if you do and you change them for 'anything' else then your going to see an improvment in sound quality

i would go for film foil types or poly styrne/ poly propolene

but poly carbonate is better also .... tanaliniums are probably worse. :P