advice on coffee makers

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: advice on coffee makers
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:33 am »
Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm
You'll need some sort of grinder for best results. Even a whirly is ok. It doesnt get any easier, or cheaper, than this for a quality cup of joe. Google for oodles of reviews and places to buy.

HA HA beat me to it!

Well I'm on the AeroPress bandwagon, ordered one with free shipping from Amazon for $25.95. I read a review that says so long as you don't puncture the filter, it can be rinsed off and reused a number of times. The review also mentioned something I didn't know about water temperature. I had always thought the temperature needed to reach the boiling point for a perk drips but this review says the AeroPress works best with the water only 75-80 degrees celsius. That doesn't seem very hot but I find it interesting that boiling water isn't really needed. Looks like I'll need to invest in a temperature gauge. I only drink choice beans from South America countries mostly so I'll be most interested in this modern french press. Thanks guys. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

dwk

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:39 am »
The review also mentioned something I didn't know about water temperature. I had always thought the temperature needed to reach 200 degrees for a perk drips but this review says the AeroPress works best with the water only 75-80 degrees. That doesn't seem very hot but I find it interesting that boiling water isn't really needed. Looks like I'll need to invest in a temperature gauge. I only drink choice beans from South America countries mostly so I'll be most interested in this modern french press. Thanks guys. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Note that should be 170-180 degrees, or maybe 70 or 80 celsius. Using 80F water will result in disappointment.  Also note that there is much debate about this suggestion; there are LOTS of folks over at coffeegeeks that disagree, and prefer 200 degree water even with the aeropress.  Try both, and use what you like.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:01 am »
The review also mentioned something I didn't know about water temperature. I had always thought the temperature needed to reach 200 degrees for a perk drips but this review says the AeroPress works best with the water only 75-80 degrees. That doesn't seem very hot but I find it interesting that boiling water isn't really needed. Looks like I'll need to invest in a temperature gauge. I only drink choice beans from South America countries mostly so I'll be most interested in this modern french press. Thanks guys. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Note that should be 170-180 degrees, or maybe 70 or 80 celsius. Using 80F water will result in disappointment.  Also note that there is much debate about this suggestion; there are LOTS of folks over at coffeegeeks that disagree, and prefer 200 degree water even with the aeropress.  Try both, and use what you like.

You're also instructed to use water that's hot, but not too hot. It turns out that coffee brews better with water in the 75 to 80°C range than with the tea-temperature near-boiling water with which coffee is often made - or the briskly boiling water, mixed with who-knows-how-hot steam, with which various gadgets make it.

Yep you're right, it was celsius. I'll make the change, thanks. :thumb: Here's the review for those who are interested. I will say that I've tried using boiling water just once with my Brauns and I thought the coffee came out way too strong with a slight bitterrness to it. I cherish a smooth aftertaste myself so I can get whatever aroma that type of coffee bean has to offer. :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

cryoparts

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:29 am »
Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm

Very cool, thanks.   :thumb:  I just ordered one! 

Peace,

Lee

EDIT--Oops, I see Tyson posted this gadget first.  Thanks Tyson!   :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:37 am »
One word,

BUNN.

They make home models now, and they are all very good.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:07 am »
The higher the brewing temperature, the more you leech out the volatile, harsh acids, which are the ones that cause stomach distress. Too low a temperature, and you don't get the full flavor profile of the beans.

I microwave 16 oz. of water in a small ceramic teapot for 3:33 until it boils. During this time I weigh 34 grams of beans and grind in my Starbucks Barista Burr grinder, set to espresso grind, and add to the Aerobie using the provided funnel. Just off the boil, I add water to the #4 upper limit on the Aerobie. I then stir using the provided stirrer, rinsing the stirrer off in the Aerobie, and wait 1-2 minutes. I then use the press to finish the brew cycle. I take the concentrate and empty into a preheated, small thermos, and add the rest of the hot water from the ceramic teapot to the thermos.  Adjust the brewing temp, fineness of grind, and dilution of concentrate to your own taste.     

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:33 am »
When you are looking for an ultimate Americano coffee, coarse grind your coffee, heat water in a pan to 180F( measure with a thermometer) and steep the coffee for 1.5 minutes. Strain through a tea strainer.  Full flavors, no bitterness. :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:51 pm »
One word,

BUNN.

They make home models now, and they are all very good.

BINGO on Bunn.

I'm not at all a coffee drinker (me and caffeine are not good friends :wink:), but I represented BUNN for several years as a sales rep on the East Coast.  Their consumer models are just smaller than the (very pricey) commercial products that justifiably made them famous.

I suspect one's subjective sense of good and bad are always at play with any food or drink, but BUNN makers are hard to top for the coffee brewing technology involved.  They've actually been making home models for about 20 years now.

Unless changed most recently, it's still family run/owned in downstate Illinois.

John

PhilNYC

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:51 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

I am definitely one of those who strongly prefers 200 degree water (not quite boiling).  The only exception to this was an ice coffee I had in San Francisco at a place called Blue Bottle Cafe which made its ice coffee by steeping cold water through the coffee grinds (instead of making coffee and then icing it)....it was an amazing place....http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net/

Wally King

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:20 pm »
I recntly purchased the coffee maker linked below:

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/coffee_maker/technivorm_thermal_coffee_maker_KBT741_silver.html?gclid=COeb1cSqnZgCFRJexwodfVRamA

No bells and whistles; no programming available; everything is completely manual.  The money you spend goes toward the heavy-duty, copper heating element.  It makes delicious, very hot coffee; no bitterness at all. It's the best coffee maker I've ever used. 

Expensive?  Yes.  But, hey.  This is an audiophile discussion board. We're not afraid to spend money for the best, right?

Best bang for the buck?  Buy one of those stove-top Italian espresso makers.

Levi

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:42 pm »
I just bought a vacuum coffee maker.  Nothing fancy just want to try it. 

I normally buy my Coffee from Starbucks which is only walking distance from where I live.  :thumb: 

Happy brewing.

Levi

gray49

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:27 pm »
I use a Technivorm...Smaller model...Great coffee maker...
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml
Peace

Levi

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:49 pm »
That's where I ordered mine :thumb:

nullspace

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:29 pm »
Krups used to make a kind of European steam pressured brewing system that make a killer cup of coffee without the mess of french press grit in the cup,its discontinued but you can find the moka brew on ebay,and never skimp of the amount of coffee you use when making a pot.

I second the Krups Moka Brew. I like it so much, I have a NOS spare in the attic.

Review at CoffeeGeek

And, they're available once again in the US.

Regards,
John

Philistine

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:43 am »
I've watched the videos of the Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker, what a joke.  Just up the street of those nerdy professors with nothing better to do in life than focus their activities on this nonsense when we have a global recession, famine, global warming (alleged), war in the Middle East and a new President - what do these nerds do to help?  Post videos of this crappy coffee maker, for goodness sake get a life.

By the way, ordered mine today  :rotflmao:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:01 am »
I've watched the videos of the Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker, what a joke.  Just up the street of those nerdy professors with nothing better to do in life than focus their activities on this nonsense when we have a global recession, famine, global warming (alleged), war in the Middle East and a new President - what do these nerds do to help?  Post videos of this crappy coffee maker, for goodness sake get a life.

By the way, ordered mine today  :rotflmao:

:duh: I read that 1st sentence and it had me saying to myself, "what the hell did i miss?"  You really had me going Phil. :lol:

Actually the way I look at it, if Tyson likes his, it's gotta make good coffee cuz he's has his for a year and he never keeps anything he doesn't absolutely love for that long. :rotflmao:

Cheers,
Robin

Martyn

« Reply #36 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:02 am »
It seems to me that coffee is rather like audio. If you're used to a clock-radio, a Bose-blaster will sound great. It may also take a long time and a fair bit of experimentation to get all the pieces in your system just right.

Speaking for myself, I have my favourite beans that I buy evenly roasted just to the end of the "second crack". I keep them in an air-tight jar (not in the freezer) and grind them in a burr grinder as I need them. Perhaps counter-intuitively, beans are at their best about a week after roasting. I use a mid-range espresso machine because I can't justify spending $2,000 on a kitchen gadget. I also occasionally use a traditional Italian stove-top unit for straight espresso. It's cheap, simple, but not very subtle.

The Aeropress looks like an interesting alternative to the stove-top thing; water at around 80 Celsius in contact with the grounds for no more that 30 seconds is good practice. I will be interesting to see whether it can produce a crema (somehow I doubt it).

Like most things, it's often a matter of taste and what you're used to. My wife loves the French press, while I can't stand it. In the summer I'll sit in the shade with a double shot and a glass of water while she shakes her head. If you like over-roasted beans soaked for several minutes in boiling water, good for you...but if you like good Bordeaux and single malt, you'll appreciate that sometimes "less" really can be "more". Just use your ears taste and smell!

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:18 pm »
Martyn, I agree with everything you wrote. My grinder is a Starbucks, the coffee is not! One does not get the same flavor profile with the Aerobie as one does with true espresso. It lacks the astringency that the steam  elicits from the grounds. The flavor is a cross between what one get from a cold water Toddy, and a vacuum brewer. It makes for a very smooth Americano. As for crema, sometimes I get, what looks like crema, sometimes not.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2009, 07:19 pm »
As a followup, I've had my AeroPress for a couple days now, took me about 3 cups to really zero it in even tho the 1st cup was excellent. Without a doubt he smoothest cup of coffee I've ever had and a real breeze to make with the use of a microwave. The microwave was really the only thing I needed to zero in to get the exact time for the required water temperature. I microwave the milk in my coffee mug ahead of time so it doesn't cool down the coffee. All in all, it's a cup of most excellent coffee in 4 minutes. I highly recommend the Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Zheeeem

« Reply #39 on: 27 Jan 2009, 08:43 pm »
Novice coffee drinker here. I'm thinking about purchasing a simple maker to brew a cup or two in the morning. Looking for something simple and easy to clean which requires no electricity. There seems to be a million different contraptions out there that all claim to make the best cup o joe. Thoughts? I live alone and only drink 1-2 cups in the morning, so I don't need anything too big.

I would suggest either a french press or a melitta-style drip filter.  These both make adequate american-style coffee and are cheap.

If you prefer a somewhat more robust, european style of coffee, then I would suggest a bialetti stovetop coffee maker.  Still cheap, especially in aluminium, but using pressure gives you a better extraction and allows the use of a darker roast.  This is what I use for my morning coffee.

If you prefer easy, but excellent, espresso, I highly recommend Nestle's Nespresso system.