Using an external amp with a receiver without pre-outs

raztec

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an external amp with the Panny XR57? It lacks any pre-outs.

I'm running a 7.1 system and have inefficient front R&L speakers so the Panny really struggles when all speakers are hooked up. I'd like to run the front speakers separately with an amplifier.

Is that possible and how does one hook it up?

I'm thinking a separate pre-amp + amp for the R&L fronts, and a y-cable from my CDP to both the receiver and the pre-amp. Does this make sense and can you guys foresee any problems with it?

Thanks,
Raz

toocool4

Re: Using an external amp with a receiver without pre-outs
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2008, 10:42 am »
You can always use your tape out if you have one. I think it comes out as line level so unless you can control the output it may just play at full volume. See if you can control the tape output from your receiver.

Chris

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:17 pm »
You don't want to use the tape out unless the amplifier you are using has it's own volume control. The tape out is a fix output and without gain control on the amplifier, you will fry your speakers as soon as you turn things on.

If you can pick up an integrated amplifier or an amp with volume, you can get away with using the tape out. Not ideal but it will work.

The other option would be to simple passive volume control between the Panny and power amplifier if no gain controls are to be found on the amp of your choice..

raztec

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:40 pm »
Are you guys talking about the tape-outs on the receiver or the amplifier?

Chris is referring to the receiver, while Bill is referring to the amplifier.

And what is meant by "passive volume control" and how is that hooked up?

Thanks,
Raz

flintstone

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:54 pm »
It won't work well... regardless. Every time you change the volume level on the Panny...you would need to re-adjust the volume level going to the mains.

Dave

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2008, 03:45 pm »

No, I was speaking of the receiver. A power amplifier will not have tape outputs. You would not want to run a signal into the tape outouts.

It won't work well... regardless. Every time you change the volume level on the Panny...you would need to re-adjust the volume level going to the mains.

Yes, it would be a less than ideal setup and you would be adjusting volumes all the time. Without preamp outputs, the best bet would be an inexpensive pre/pro and seperate amplifier.

genjamon

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2008, 04:20 pm »
What about something like this?

http://www.audio-magus.com/SubLine_Subwoofer_Connector_p/slv2.htm

Speaker level output from the receiver to line-level input on amplifier.  You could still use volume control on the receiver.

If this would work, you could also consider building one yourself.... help me out here, guys - I don't really know what I'm talking about. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=38384.0

Any reason this wouldn't work?

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2008, 06:58 pm »
Are you guys talking about the tape-outs on the receiver or the amplifier?

And what is meant by "passive volume control" and how is that hooked up?

Thanks,
Raz

I meant the tape out from your receiver / integrated amp same difference. Like everybody said if you do not have control over the volume output of the tape out do not use this method. 

Chris

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2008, 09:58 pm »
What about something like this?

http://www.audio-magus.com/SubLine_Subwoofer_Connector_p/slv2.htm

Speaker level output from the receiver to line-level input on amplifier.  You could still use volume control on the receiver.

If this would work, you could also consider building one yourself.... help me out here, guys - I don't really know what I'm talking about. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=38384.0

Any reason this wouldn't work?
That is a Line Level Convertor (LOC).
It changes the signal from "Speaker Level" to "Line Level".
I have yet to hear one that does not introduce audible distortion.

bhobba

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2008, 10:12 pm »
Does anyone know if it's possible to use an external amp with the Panny XR57? It lacks any pre-outs.

I hate to tell you this but you can't.  I think it is a great piece of gear at a great price but that is one thing you can't do.

Thanks
Bill

raztec

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2008, 12:38 am »
Ok, so how about using a separate pre-amp + amp for the R&L fronts and the receiver for the remaining speakers?
Could I then run a y-cable from my CDP/DVD to both the receiver and the pre-amp?

Does this make sense and can you guys foresee any problems with it?

Thanks,
Raz
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 03:44 am by raztec »

jaya000

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2008, 03:37 pm »
I am new member here.
Just joined today.

U hv got receiver.
It must hv volume control.
If u can dare to open ur receiver & take out the connection from center(middle) point of volume control, then it will be ok.
U hv to use shielded cable to take out the connection.
It will be better if u can fit rca connectors at the another end of shielded cable, then it is your preamp out or subout.
Repeat the same for both the channels.
Hope this helps u.

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2008, 05:48 pm »
Actually, you don't need a "pre-out" to do what you want to do, since you've indicated you're going to use a pre-amp as well as a power amp for the front L & R speakers.  You can take the "tape rec out" of the receiver and feed it to the pre-amp.  That will give you a fixed out, rather than variable, and the pre-amp will control the output to the power amp for the front L & R volume levels.

If you're simulating surround sound with the receiver, I'm not sure whether you'll get a simulated L & R out of the tape outputs to the pre-amp, or whether you'll get the full stereo mix...and it might even depend on the receiver being used.  And if you're feeding a digital out from the CD/DVD player to the receiver, you may or may not get just the left and right channels of the multi-channel mix out of the tape outs...never tried this.

But...this is how you want to do it...no need to Y the output of the cd/dvd player to get it done.

Housteau

« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2008, 08:49 pm »
That is a Line Level Convertor (LOC).
It changes the signal from "Speaker Level" to "Line Level".
I have yet to hear one that does not introduce audible distortion.

I have built two similar circuits in mono form a while ago, one for each mono deep bass amp.  Since my system is triamped, I did this to keep a reasonable load on the preamp.  It works very well and I do not experience any audible distortion, however the signal being used from this circuit is only from 16Hz to 60Hz.

Housteau

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2008, 01:38 pm »
This is what the schematic for the mono circuits I built looks like:

This is a simple voltage divider circuit.  The value of the 9K resistor can be changed to match your desired volume setting on the second amp.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008, 02:59 pm by Housteau »

Haoleb

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2008, 06:06 am »
Even if you used the tape outputs you would be getting the full 2 channel stereo sound out of there (and you would have to hook up the analog stereo inputs vs the digital connection) so instead of just getting the discrete audio for the L and R main speakers you would be getting all the sounds out of those speakers. In other words theres no way you can do that. Unless you have a dvd player with analog 5.1 outputs then you could take the front L and R from the dvd player and run that into an integrated amp or something, Then still use the digital connection into the reciever for the surrounds and center channels.

I built one of those LOC devices once from a schematic I found online. Fried the amp in my truck.

The best thing to do is to just upgrade your reciever, or at least get one that has the preamp outputs and then add in a seperate 2 channel power amp.