Amp recommendation for Max Hemp

smccull

Amp recommendation for Max Hemp
« on: 16 Aug 2007, 04:49 am »
I scored a very slightly used pair of Max Hemps on A'gon and am very excited about checking out what all the fuss is about with hemp. From all I'm reading, I'm pretty convinced they're gonna make some magic.

I need some help selecting an amp/amps to run with them.

I currently have a Promitheus TVC and an ASL EL34 integrated (30W) that was given Bill Baker's (Resonse Audio) top of the line modifications. It's a very nice setup, but I'm intrigued about trying something different. Some of the options I'm considering are:

1.  Keep what I have. I like the EL34s but sometimes they're just a little too warm and rounded in the transients for me. Maybe a bit more jump factor is in order.

2.  Buy a Sam's Audio Labs Heathkit AA 151 (EL84s) that's available now on A'gon. This seems like a very good all arounder, and I've read about the synergy between EL84s and hemp, but I'm a bit concerned about buying a vintage amp with extensive mods, and also wondering about it's noise floor. Will I be buying into something that could be somewhat unreliable?

3. Buy a Melody I2A3. After reading Srajan's review on Six Moons I'm VERY intrigued. I've always liked the 2A3 tubes but couldn't live with the low power, and I know the hemps like some juice. But this PP integrated has 18 watts, what sounds like a terrific pre amp stage, and glorious sound. And it's absolutely gorgeous! There's one of these on A'gon too, but my only hesitation is that Srajan's review primarily discussed vocal and world music (some interesting sounding stuff though) and I'm wondering if the Melody's strengths are a bit one diminsional. If I can answer that concern, I think this is the leading contender.

4. Buy two or three lesser price amps and put in what suites my fancy for a particular evening of listening. There's lots of good stuff out there for under $1000 used and I could probably end up with two very strong contenders, one tube and perhaps one ss. Or I could buy a vintage EL84 and either keep my EL34 or find another possibility. Of course neither of these are likely to approach what I could buy if I put all my eggs in one basket.

I listen to all kinds of music: jazz, vocals, rock, r&b, world music and classical, so flexibility is important. I'm most interested in tonal accuracy, dynamics - micro and macro, and emotional connectedness. I do like a solid image and wide and deep imaging but these are probably a little down on the totem pole for me. I have to connect first! And this, after all, is what's drawn me to the Max Hemps, and to the amps on my short list.

Thoughts, opinions and recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Amp recommendation for Max Hemp
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2007, 06:52 am »

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2007, 02:48 pm »
More interesting reading http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/almarro5/318.html

I own a Melody/Onix H6550 amp, it's a push/pull 50 watt per channel integrated.  I've been very happy with it.

smccull

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2007, 06:59 pm »
Great suggestions. I definintely will read the Almarro review. I believe they also produce a SET EL84 amp that might be interesting.

Dave, I have gone back and forth on the Sig30. It's definitely a contender, and since I have Vinnie's modded Squeezebox I know firsthand the value of battery power. I just worry that I'll miss tubes too much. I've tried tripath before and found myself enjoying what I heard, but yearning for that unmistakable tube bloom. I don't know, maybe I wouldn't miss it. I've heard great things about the Sig30!

smccull

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2007, 04:17 am »
HT,

Thanks for the review on the Almarro! I had passed by these, even the review on Six Moons, because I heard an Almarro several years ago that sounded rolled off and dull to my ears. Must have been the A318A. The A318B sounds like a completely different animal, and to my liking. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2007, 10:56 pm »
Hi smccull,

I would wait and see about the V2 Sig 30. I will have mine modded and report back. Looks like this will be incredible. Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks,
Louis

mca

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2008, 10:44 pm »
Just curious if you ended up purchasing another amp and how you are liking the Max Hemps?

Wolf012558@aol.com

This is a great amp for the money ..
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2008, 09:31 pm »
 I know that Louis has one of Bob Latino's highly modified Dynaco ST-70's. I think Louis' amp was a wired unit as I remember ? I built mine from a kit that Bob offers as an option to the wired amps he sells. The sound quality from this amp is far beyond the original ST-70 amp and is very cost effective considering the $695 kit price. All included parts are of very high quality. For 2008 Bob includes a triode/pentode switching system at no extra cost with all amps either kit or wired. Below is a link to some photos of the kit in various stages of construction.

http://picasaweb.google.com/arnoldmatthews72/StepsInBuildingDynacoST70AmplifierKitDesignedByBobLatinoAssembledByArnoldMatthews

Charlie Wolf

Dmason

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2008, 10:22 pm »
Of all the amps I tried with my SuperHemps I found, as many people did, that any EL84 amp with the hemp cones was an extraordinary pairing. I believe this tube is THE basis for the best overall sound, in my opinion. What I heard with a friend's DIY RH84-circuit was jaw-droppingly good. Maybe look for an Almarro. You dont need push pull amps with that speaker, that is for sure. that hopefully should narrow the field abit..

The Signature 30 with a dual triode pre amp was right there as well.

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2008, 10:51 pm »
Hi smccull,

On the cheap I would try the KT77s on your ASL.

I like them better on the Dyna.

If you want to buy another amp you can't go wrong with the Sig30.2

Thanks,
Louis

mca

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2008, 09:45 pm »
Of all the amps I tried with my SuperHemps I found, as many people did, that any EL84 amp with the hemp cones was an extraordinary pairing.

Other than the Almarro A205A, what other EL84 amps are out there?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2008, 10:07 pm »
Of all the amps I tried with my SuperHemps I found, as many people did, that any EL84 amp with the hemp cones was an extraordinary pairing.

Other than the Almarro A205A, what other EL84 amps are out there?

My Decware works real well with my Hemptones.  :thumb:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

Lin

BossaNova31

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2008, 10:42 pm »
I'm pretty darn happy with my Superhemp/Manley 300b SET monoblock combo. I have also heard that the Snapper and Mahi monoblocks are a tasty combo with the hemps  :drool:

IMO go for a quality 300b amp if you want magical midrange or the Snapper if you crave power and rock solid bass.