Jack Ryan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Jack Ryan
« on: 5 Jan 2023, 05:59 am »
How can this show be this bad?  I really liked the Jack Ryan movies with Harrison Ford about this character, and I like several of the actors they have in the new series.  Plus Amazon spent a ton of money on it.  So I went in with high expectations.

I'm 2 episodes in and this show is.... not good.  The acting is poor, the scripting is obvious and blunt, but the worst thing about it is the lighting and cinematography are terrible.  It looks bad. 

No, correction, it doesn't just look bad.  It looks cheap.  Like an average show on CBS, all of which have that cheap daytime soap-opera look and feel.  Bleh. 

I'm hoping things get better as we go along but so far its a big steaming pile of crap.

WGH

Re: Jack Ryan
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2023, 03:26 pm »
The bad news is Jack Ryan doesn't get better, the good news is it doesn't get worse. The series is just good enough to keep watching to see what happens.

Slow Horses starring Gary Oldman is a thinking persons spy series. The trailer makes the series look like an action movie but it is the opposite. Oldman is perfect as Jackson Lamb, the obnoxious boss of Slough House where disgraced MI5 agents are sent. This dysfunctional team of spys get themselves deep into international espionage with deadly results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ZJChzPn0U

2 Seasons - start with Season 1 on Apple TV+

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2023, 05:11 pm »
Just finished Jack Ryan mediocre at best but watchable. Treason on Netflix was good, The Recruit on Netflix is fun brain candy not much to think about an easy watch. I’m a few episodes in on The Peripheral on Prime. I’m not much of a SciFi guy but this one is intriguing and smart so far very worth the watch. Been home with C19 so plenty of time to binge…

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2023, 06:12 pm »
I watched the first 2 seasons of Jack Ryan.  I enjoy the actors (love seeing Bunk again - fine Wendell Pierce) and thought it was OK.

I am sure I will watch S3 at some point, but it's not like I am jumping up and down to get to it.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2023, 09:28 pm »
I can’t get past John Krasinski’s new voice, way too distracting for me. 

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2023, 05:05 am »
Working my way through the second season.  First, the good news.  They have made substantial improvements to the lighting and cinematography. 

The bad news?  Acting is still terrible and the writing/plot is somehow worse.  Not sure how that's possible because season 1 was abysmal. 

Cdn ws6

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2023, 12:32 am »
Might have to give it a watch, though, based on the reviews above,  looks mediocre at best

dolsey01

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2023, 02:28 pm »
I enjoyed it and finished it in two days.  IMHO, it's right along the typical Tom Clancy type story line.   There is so much worse crap out there.  To each their own.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2023, 04:30 pm »
Finished the series.  IMO, it got better as it went along.  1st season was abysmally bad, 2nd season was mediocre, and 3rd season was decent.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:26 pm »
I have to agree with most comments here - Jack Ryan was pretty terrible on most important dimensions. How does stuff like this ever pass muster with the director & producers before getting released??