M3 Sapphire Baffles

Tarheel

M3 Sapphire Baffles
« on: 2 Jan 2022, 01:44 pm »
Does anyone know if the M3 Sapphire can be ordered with a wood baffle or the laminated baffles like on the X series?

Second question....would moving from the M3 Turbo S version to the M3 Sapphire be a worth while upgrade?  Room is 14'X14' with an 18' vaulted ceiling.

Thanks!

ric

Re: M3 Sapphire Baffles
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2022, 02:26 pm »
Clayton of course, would be your best sounding board (sorry about the pun!). Whenever anybody says "is the upgrade worth it" huge can of worms that needs to be based on what is worth it for YOU. IMO any upgrade is worth it, as long as you can hear a difference, so I don't think you'd have any problem there. Good luck!

Tarheel

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2022, 03:10 pm »
Thanks ric....I emailed Clayton several days ago.  Guess he is swamped with emails.  Have narrowed my speaker choice down to another pair of Spatials or Martin Logan ESL 9s.  Both pair need to be off the front wall about 3 feet which is problematic in a 14' deep room but I can live with that.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:10 pm »
Tarheel, My speakers are 36" from the front wall and I liked them also at 30" from the front and I sit 8' from my M3's and they sound superb so I think you would have no issues, and in my experience, the M3's will trounce the Martin Logans in dynamics, bass detail, and impact and coherence, and sound very close to the transparency of an Electrostatics, which I owned for 10 years.

Tarheel

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:27 pm »
That sounds like my set up with the Turbo S speakers.  33" off front wall, speaker 8' apart, and 9' from Zero Gravity chairs that recline.
Good info Mr. Big.....

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:45 pm »
Thanks ric....I emailed Clayton several days ago.  Guess he is swamped with emails.  Have narrowed my speaker choice down to another pair of Spatials or Martin Logan ESL 9s.  Both pair need to be off the front wall about 3 feet which is problematic in a 14' deep room but I can live with that.

#tarheel
I have a pair of ML 11A's that I used before I bought my X5's and there is no comparison.  I thought the ML's were a really great sounding speaker until I swapped out for X5's.  I even have a pair of modified Maggie 1.7's sitting in their boxes because I enjoy the Spatials so much more.  And even the Maggie's sounded better than the ML's.  Not sure what budget you have or anything but I will tell you for dynamics, accuracy, depth of music.....in fact all areas, the Spatials have them both beat.  If you still would like to get ML's I'll sell the 11a's to you for a great price, (I have WAY too much equipment laying around) and I'm in Ct, not sure where you are but you can listen for yourself if you are nearby.  But the Spatials you already have will probably sound better than the ESL's.   Just an FYI.

Tarheel

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:56 pm »
Thanks geerock.....exactly what I wanted to hear (someone who has had both speakers).  There is no opportunities to audition here in coastal NC.
The gentleman on youtube with the Spatial reviews seems to really be impressed with the Sapphires as is Guttenberg.
Very helpful...... 

Tarheel

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2022, 12:12 pm »
Quick update.  The timing was great as the M4 speakers are now available with wood baffles. So on January 4, 2022 and after consultation with Cloud at Spatial about room size, I ordered the M4s with Sapele baffles.
The speakers are due to arrive this Wednesday.  Clayton only missed my birthday by three days 8)  Bien! 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2022, 04:34 pm »
Quick update.  The timing was great as the M4 speakers are now available with wood baffles. So on January 4, 2022 and after consultation with Cloud at Spatial about room size, I ordered the M4s with Sapele baffles.
The speakers are due to arrive this Wednesday.  Clayton only missed my birthday by three days 8)  Bien! 

Nice.  Smaller speakers are not only better for small rooms, but they also tend to image better than big speakers, regardless of room size.  Because the smaller baffle results in less diffraction.  Congrats on getting a great pair of speakers. 

And if they sound closed off at first, remember to run them in for at least 250 hours before making any judgements.  They take a while to burn in, IME.

theclipper

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2022, 06:36 pm »

Wow, that's a quick turnaround! I'm officially jealous  :D. I'm waiting on my M3S order from November.

RonN5

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2022, 08:19 pm »
Tarheel...make sure you post some pictures...on this thread...and then again here      https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180418.msg1896316#msg1896316      ....yes, I'm trying to get something going so we can all see lots of photos.

Tarheel

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2022, 12:19 pm »
theclipper.....Cloud said my M4s would not take as long as they were on the production line at the time.  M3s were in line next.

Ron...photos to come.

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2022, 04:20 pm »
Tarheel...make sure you post some pictures...on this thread...and then again here      https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180418.msg1896316#msg1896316      ....yes, I'm trying to get something going so we can all see lots of photos.

I think Clayton already started posting pictures on this site.

RonN5

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2022, 05:31 pm »
I found Clayton’s link… posted below. Looks like it went dormant a year ago.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171006.0

Tarheel

« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2022, 07:34 pm »
Forgot I posted there.  Reply #7 my first pair of Spatials (Turbo S).  Thanks for digging up that old thread.