Tube amp question.

Shives

• I like French fries
Tube amp question.
« on: 29 Nov 2021, 06:12 pm »
Different topic..

I have a brand new in box TU-8300R kit from Elekit. Brand new, not built yet.

It’s the 300B stereo version. Was going to do mild upgrades to. So, I’m wondering a few things.

1. How would this be for 2-ch on the Statik’s!?

Really wanted to build this kit, but I might be inclined to sell for other upgrades on my speakers, or even trade out. So, if this would not be the best, would it be better to build the unit? Or sell as the kit? I am very good with assembling and such, not worried about that.

Thanks. Sorry to bother.

subsonic1050

Re: Tube amp question.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2021, 06:33 pm »
Hey Shives - I haven't paired a 300b with an x-statik, but what I can tell you is that I believe it will be under-powered. The 8300 is only 8w/channel. The X-Statik, at 91dB efficient is somewhere in the middle when it comes to efficiency. For reference, I did pair my PrimaLuna Evo 300 tube amp which is 24w/ch in triode mode with the x-statiks. It did power them but at higher SPL it was getting close to its limit.

Jaytor

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2021, 06:40 pm »
These speakers are fairly efficient at 91db/w and an easy load, but a single 300B isn't going to drive them very loud. I had a friend over this weekend that brought a 6w tube amp and we tried it on my NX-Oticas. This is probably pretty comparable to the the TU-8300R driving the X-Statiks (slightly lower efficiency). It did ok at modest volume (mid-high 60's db), but started to sound pretty strained at higher volumes. My room is pretty large though, and is not very live. So it depends on how loud you like to play, size of room, etc.

If it is well built, it will probably be easier to sell assembled, but you probably wouldn't get any more money for it (maybe a touch less) - just a larger pool of potential buyers.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2021, 07:04 pm »
Thank you for the reply’s. I know some people are using older, built up 300B’s on the X-series and more. So, was curious.

This amp also allows the use of the KT88’s as an option. The kit is beautiful! Really nice, I’ve had this for a little bit contemplating to build, sell or trade out.

And yes, power with the 300B’s on this is 8 watts. Not quiet sure in the KT88’s in this design. I know they are able to push a little more.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the information!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2021, 12:41 am »
8 watts is really only ideal for speakers 97dB and up.  I’ve heard X-Statiks driven with 18, 35, 60, 85, 140, and 300 watts. 
I would recommend at least 35 watts.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2021, 01:11 am »
I've driven my X-statiks with 300B monoblocks previously.
I had no issues getting them plenty loud.
If you have even a moderate living room i doubt you'll have much issue driving them.
Same goes for our tiny 10W GK10 chip amp.

In a bigger listening/living room, I might consider something with more power.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2021, 03:03 pm »
Thank you all for the advise and comments! Appreciate it very much. Might sell the Tube amp and put towards upgrades.

Again, appreciate everyone’s time!