Falcon Ls35a Gold Badge

Novemberman

Falcon Ls35a Gold Badge
« on: 21 Nov 2021, 07:59 pm »
Hello ,
New to the site . I’m an Falcon Ls35a Gold Badge owner and I’m interested in any posts regarding Ls35a speakers in general  . More specifically- Falcon Ls35a Gold  Badge . Also curious about Decware amps .
Thank you

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Falcon Ls35a Gold Badge
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2021, 09:58 pm »
Hello ,
New to the site . I’m an Falcon Ls35a Gold Badge owner and I’m interested in any posts regarding Ls35a speakers in general  . More specifically- Falcon Ls35a Gold  Badge . Also curious about Decware amps .
Thank you
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Maybe you like this GR Research kit:
https://www.gr-research.com/store/p133/X-LS_Encore.html
From $1,160.00 to $1,493.00 half the Falcon price.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:10 pm »
Falcon resistors are VTM 5% tolerance.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:45 pm »
The GR Research speakers are not kits.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:51 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:58 pm »
Oh great for this price already came assembled :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2021, 07:02 pm »
One thing i will say is that these need a low Rout and some current capability. The Decwares do not fall into that set of amplifiers.

I haven’t heard the Falcon version, but sold a lot of origiina lones (mostly Rogers & Chartwell). Malcom is certainly the one to take them to the next level.

dave

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2021, 04:32 pm »
I have a friend who has owned probably 4 different versions of the LS3/5A. This would also include the Harbeth P3ESR. After the smoke cleared, the Falcon came out on top. The amps (all integrateds in his case) he's used with great success are the Luxman 505 or 507 series, Yamaha a-s3200 and in regard to tubes, the LM 219ia. He also says adding a REL sub (or 2) easily kicks things up a notch.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2021, 11:19 pm »

You can buy the kits to make them.

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p52/X-LS_Encore_Kit.html

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2021, 11:41 pm »
You can buy the kits to make them.

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p52/X-LS_Encore_Kit.html
Incredidle how GR Research have various options on this model :thumb:
We are now offering CNC cut flatpacks for this model. Both the bookshelf (X-LS) and the floor standing model (X-SLS)

We are also offering assembled X-LS cabinets ready for paint or veneer

We are also offering cabinets that are finished in hardwood veneer.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2021, 12:10 am »
Hard to get excited by an MDF box.

There are many diy projects you can do that emulate the LS3/5A. Some wil be better but most not so much. LS3/5A is kinda coloured (bexrene), the T27 has less HF extention thn some FR drivers. The last ones i heard were kinda boxy compared to some i compared them to, but the BBC engineered them to a specific purpose, and if those needs suit your tastes…

Not the question here, but if you are considering diy, to my mind, there are some simple FR boxes that do a good job of being at least as good. And at a dramatically lower entry cost. Frugal-phile™.

These for instance, similar extention at the bottom and the same sort of “vintage” top end.

Same size, just rotated 90°. A bunch of drivers fit into this box. Hard to find the driver above anymore.

dave

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2021, 02:44 am »
His 1st post said he already has the Falcons. Not sure how this became a ad for the Encores or DIY? :lol:

If you are interested in matching your speakers with tubes then the experiences shared here are a good starting point. You are going to need some muscle and that really isn't the Decwares' strength.

Each group of websites have their list of amps, speakers, and sources that are their darlings they recommend so I'm sure you will get some good suggestions.

My suggestion isn't on the list but I think it should be and that is any Music Reference gear you can find in good condition. The designer, Roger Modjeski has passed away so there is some risk involved but his designs usually last 20 years or more and often that occurs with the same set of tubes!

There are a couple of guys carrying on the torch at Music Reference but I have not heard any news or reviews on the new products. They do provide repair of Roger's gear so that is a good thing.

Anyway good luck with your search for your amplifier and hopefully you can have fun in the process.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2021, 04:48 am »
I’d think power wise you’d want a PP EL34 or bigger.

dave

slefley

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2021, 02:28 pm »
I have a very modest system with original 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5A and a pair of mono Pass ACA amps. I listen in near-field at reasonable volumes (70-80 dB) to vocal, contemporary folk and chamber music and am often amazed at the beauty of this system.  Obviously this won’t work for most folks, but in the right circumstances 10 class A watts are magic with LS3/5A’s.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2021, 04:43 pm »
Bridged ACA might have some issues as far as R0sub]out[/sub], but if it works it should be quite good.

dave

garyalex

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2021, 04:45 pm »
I've a pair of Falcon Acoustics LS3/5As.  I drive them with a First Watt M2x amp Class A rated at 25 watts per channel into 8 Ohms.  It's nearfield listening at lower volumes as I live in an apartment.  I think it sounds wonderful.