DIY Ripole Subs

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
DIY Ripole Subs
« on: 22 Nov 2021, 02:01 am »
I just finished building a pair of Ripole subs for a friend who liked mine.  I think they turned out rather nice.

Ripoles are not well known because no company that I know of sells them. 

A Ripole is a slot-loaded, folded-baffle dipole with opposing drivers in a push-push configuration.  They have a cardioid radiation pattern which blends quite well with ESL's.  Their off-axis null is less prone than other sub types to excite the room's resonance modes. 

The outer woofer cases are 3/4 AA red oak plywood with quarter-round oak moldings along the box edges.
The center C-section is 7/8 thick white oak planks, stained a contrasting color, and aligned to the outer cases with dowels.  The three-section assembly is bolted together with (4) 1/4-24 all thread rods and button-head cap nuts.

Each sub uses a pair of 12" Peerless SLS woofers, wired in parallel and same phase.  As you can see; they are made so compact that the woofer magnets protrude thru the sides of the cases. 

They are a lot of work to build but they are pretty unique and I really like their compact size and unobtrusive sound.
The bass notes just seem to rise up from nowhere and recede back to nowhere-- completely un-localizable.

I have CAD drawings if anyone is interested. 

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2021, 11:55 pm by Jazzman53 »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: DIY Ripole Subs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2021, 11:46 am »
Awesome build! 👍

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2021, 02:36 pm »
Ripoles are quite rare from what I have seen posted in DIY circles over the years.

That is some TIDY work on a great build.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2021, 06:48 pm »

I have often wondered why there aren't more cardioid bass solutions on the market.  There are cardioid pattern subwoofers out there, but they are usually for the pro market and usually use on-board DSP to help create the cardioid pattern such as this Avante:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/avante-av18s-18-in-powered-subwoofer-with-dsp-and-cardioid-coverage/k46751000000000?source=3WWRWXGG&gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYUQVqypPFIZB37YA0lSO9O-lwe8fTFszABWdujYhSFhTr-e58ukQZxoCFGMQAvD_BwE

If someone were to market this ripole subwoofer in cost-effective flat-black finish, I'll bet there will be many people interested  :thumb:

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2022, 07:19 pm »
Very nice work

I saw this posted today on the DIY facebook group as well and glad to see it also posted here.

Have you compared this to an OB subwoofer by chance? I always wondered how it would compare. They say, these interact with the room modes differently and "could be" a little more friendlier to rooms that have bass issues.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2022, 07:45 pm »
They look great. What's the size of the finished box?