Looking for a upgrade from LS3/5a

haacosta@gmail.com

Looking for a upgrade from LS3/5a
« on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:55 pm »
Hi Everyone,

new kid on the block here :).

I currently have a pair of Sound Artist LS3/5a and I'm quite impressed with them, especially compared with other more expensive speakers.

I'm looking for an upgrade from it, not to other LS3/5a, but for other model (including floorstanders) that maintains some of the aspects of it, like tone especially on vocals, imaging and soundstage, but with a bit more refinement and air in the top end. Budget 15k USD max.

I have placed them on the long wall of my room which is 26ft by 10ft - i've tried many configs and this is the best one - with me being 8.2 feet away.

Any advise? I was looking towards Harbeths (30.1)...

thank you,

Hugo

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Looking for a upgrade from LS3/5a
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
15K is a lot of cash to spend is a xover, low sensitivity, front emission only monitor speaker, be careful on this choice.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2021, 11:36 pm »
Welcome!  Don't forget hifishark to search for used things

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2021, 12:06 am »
Not a big Harbeth fan and I have a pair in my collection but for other brands that excel in areas that you say are important to you I would look at both the monitors and floor standers From Rosso Fiorentino, Reynaud and QLN. All three brands have excellent monitors at about half of your top end budget as well as floor stand models. 

haacosta@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2021, 12:40 am »
Wow, thank you for such fast replies.

I have never heard of QLN, I was just checking their website and the Prestige Three look absolutely amazing. The JMR Lunna is stunning also...

Regards,

Hugo

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2021, 01:09 am »
Sounds like the new Salk Sound BePure 2 is right up your alley. It's the speaker in front of the poster.

Dennis Murphy, Salk's crossover designer extraordinaire, wrote:

"Jim [Salk Sound] has so many speakers that's it's hard to generalize, but I think there is more emphasis on power handling and focus, with the exception being the open-back design of the flagship model, which achieves much of the sound staging effects I get with broader dispersion drivers.  I think a good example is the new Purifi 2-way [BePure 2].  The sound is quite different from the BMR's, and for symphonic works I think I would prefer the BMR series.  But when I walked into Jim's room at CAF, I immediately sensed a mid-bass impact that I wasn't getting in my room.  The volume was quite low and I have no idea what was playing, but I could feel the bass pressure coming from the Purifi drivers.  The sound wasn't boomy or exaggerated--it just had more impact.  The SB Acoustics Be dome is just as flat as the RAAL and has lower harmonic distortion at high output levels.  The result is an extremely clean, focused sound, but not quite as spacious as you would get with the RAAL.   So it's all about trade-offs and market segmentation."
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178899.msg1882867#msg1882867

Salk Sound BePure 2
https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BePure+2

BMR Monitor and Tower
https://www.philharmonicaudio.com/

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2021, 02:20 am »
Hi,

I second either Salk sound and Philharmonic audio speakers due to their high value.  The BMR bookshelf at about $1700usd would be a bargain and sound fabulous.  The BMR's are a little low on the efficiency side so you'd have to make sure your amplifier was powerful enough to drive them. Alternatively, the Song 3's are a 3 way speaker and provide excellent results.

cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2021, 12:10 pm by Rocket »