NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!

Chewbacca

NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!
« on: 16 Nov 2021, 11:56 pm »
Hello All!

My long enjoyable journey building my NX-Otica speakers is finally drawing to a close. I figured now would be a good time to post a thread about this, as my anticipation is nearly boiling over!

As a lot of you know I was tossing around getting the NX-Studios, NX-Otica MTM's, or the NX-Otica. I decided I wanted to build my "end all" speaker, and ordered the Otica kit in April of this year - with all the available upgrades.

The NQ drivers were being shipped from overseas when I got the kit on order, so it took a little while to get.

The flat packs came first:

Awesome quality! Coming from a engineering manufacturing background for years, being around CNC's cutting MDF all day long - These pieces are TOP NOTCH! Couldn't expect much better. Definitely a paint grade MDF/Plum Creek style grade.

A few weeks later I got a much anticipated package... That of course UPS took a nice chunk out of... There was literally pieces ready to fall out of the box!

I thought for sure I was missing pieces.. But alas, everything was there!

Immediate layout of the crossover consumed my mind. My whole goal was to not use any additional wire in the whole circuit besides for going to the drivers of course. Lead to Lead on each component.

Initial layout being inspected by the great LittleHead himself! :beer:

Finalizing the Layout.

Sub Assemblies tied together.

Sub Assembly ready for solder.

So... Then life happened, and happened quick! I asked the woman of my dreams to spend the rest of our lives together!

...She said yes!! :lol: ...sucker haha! Kidding!

About 2 weeks later, we decide to elope to Vegas. We decide on a Tuesday, get tickets for Thursday, and Elvis is marrying us Friday morning! Unfortunately I don't have the real pics on me, but here's one with a watermark... It basically sums up the event. It was perfect! My little lady and I both wore Pink Floyd T-Shirts (her idea... yeah, I found the right one!) :thumb:

The happy new couple! :green:

On our way back from an absolutely adventurous one night getaway on a roadtrip to the BOONEYS of Arizona, tumbleweeds, cattle crossing, we HAD to stop at the most oldschool diner we could find... Stop in this little place, in the middle of nowhere, sit down at the bar, and there's this gentleman sitting next to me. We start talking, music comes up (of course) and it turns out this is Greg Collier of the band Silver... You may not know too much about him, but he is an EXTREME talent. Toured with the Doobey Brothers etc. Basically knew every famous musician. It was amazing. We talked for maybe 2 hours. I basically had to be torn away from my seat to leave...

Then on Sunday... Yeah, the Sunday two days later after we got married, one of my lifelong friends got married at a beautiful rooftop wedding in Milwaukee... So we got to enjoy a really nice wedding immediately after! For FREE!

Then two weeks later we had a mock wedding (Friday the 13th :lol:)... Not everyone knew that we were already married so... shh :shh:

Another absolutely perfect day... Had it in the back yard of my parents house, the house I lived in for most of my life. Maybe 40-50 people. It was the perfect size! we only had two weeks to plan... so we literally didn't have time to stress about it. It couldn't have gone better!

Alright alright... Enough with that unimportant stuff... back to the fun :wink:

Dry fitting the cabinets together. Everything fit perfect!

First one done!

Stepped back mid clamping to snap a pic of the Old Man, and the Nephew.. of course playing games on his phone :lol: this certainly wasn't exciting enough!

Sanded the bad boys down, and next came the priming!

The awesome booth that was set up in my Dads garage (thanks for all the help Dad! You're the best!)

First coat of prime! Sanded, then did another as well.

First coat of finish. Went with just a standard run of the mill satin black.

Dad creeping... :lol:

Finish coat two.

Got the bad boys home safe and sound! Roger inspecting them (my wife's cat, named after Roger Waters. Yup, she's the one)

Of course had to mount the drivers in immediately... I didn't care how late it was :lol:

Figured it was probably time to finish my speaker cables as well... Man, I really pushed those off 8)

Finally time to get the sub assemblies of the crossover soldered together and ready for wiring to the woofers! LittleHead ensuring quality.

LittleHead after a long day of Quality Control.

Roger QC'ing the GR boxes... They pass.

Some of the soldering connections.

Ready for the drivers!

Mapping out how much extra wire to use, in case I want to mount the crossover outside the cabinet.

Winding wire...

Wiring the Crossover to the Tweeter.

Wiring up the Mids.

Well! That's where I'm currently at with the build! It is quickly drawing to a close, and I should have them running this week!... Just in time for Gun Hunting weekend! :lol:

Hope you guys enjoyed the thread so far! More to come!!

....oh wait, what is this??? New/Upgraded source components just in time for the speakers?! Don't mind if I do!

Thanks for looking! :thumb: More pics, and impressions coming soon!
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2021, 04:21 pm by Chewbacca »

tortoiseman2542

Re: Chewy's NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:05 am »
Great work man!  On both the wedding and the speakers!  ;). Congrats to the whole family on the wedding!

Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:16 am »
Wow, nice job on everything, congratulations, and I love your wife's shoes. They looks like some of my old soccer shoes.  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:27 am »
Awesome post, congrats on all the exciting milestones and nice work on the speakers!

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2021, 01:15 am »
Absolutely incredible!

subsonic1050

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2021, 01:25 am »
Absolutely stunning work chewie! They look gorgeous and the wire management and layout are next level. Looking forward to meeting up sometime soon.

Chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2021, 01:50 am »
Great work man!  On both the wedding and the speakers!  ;). Congrats to the whole family on the wedding!

Robert

Thanks, Robert! The Family, the Little Lady and I are very happy! :D

Wow, nice job on everything, congratulations, and I love your wife's shoes. They looks like some of my old soccer shoes.  :thumb:

Thanks, Danny! A compliment from the Man himself! And yes! My Wife used to play soccer for most of her life! She's definitely a big fan of those shoes! I keep telling her to get a new pair... those things are WELL worn! :lol:

Awesome post, congrats on all the exciting milestones and nice work on the speakers!

Thank you! :thumb:

Absolutely incredible!

Thanks, Early B.!

Absolutely stunning work chewie! They look gorgeous and the wire management and layout are next level. Looking forward to meeting up sometime soon.

Thanks subsonic1050! Too bad most of the cabinet wiring will be covered by the NoRez :lol: And absolutely... We're going to meet up sooner than later! Thanks for the pointers along the way too! :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2021, 01:57 am »
Wow, a new family and great new hifi system - life is really sweet.  Congrats man! 

Chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:06 am »
Thanks, Tyson! Life is going pretty well! But it's certainly not all unicorns and roses unfortunately. This world has it out for everyone, that's for sure!

Chewbacca

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:20 am »
I also wanted to make a comment about the DIY 24 Strand speaker cables from GR. I had some Zu Audio cables terminated with copper spades, and replaced one of the cables in my system (Still on the Sierra speakers with regular binding posts, and on the Odysseys with regular binding posts) with the GR cables and walked back and forth between both speakers, ears to each one... it was obvious. More obvious than I was expecting - especially with the huge chunks of metal binding posts still installed. The highs were crystal clear with the GR cables, the Zu's almost sounded like there was static breakup in the high frequencies - It almost sounded like a different recording. I brought my wife over, she not knowing what I changed out (she didn't notice the cables) and had her listen. She listens to about 30 seconds of each speaker. After, she points to the one with the GR cable and says "this one has way more bass, and just sounds really full in comparison". Then I told her my impressions of the high frequencies and she immediately noticed it as well.

ALSO - I'm not going to jump the gun on this, BUT it seems ALOT of my RFI is gone... I live right next to a radio tower, so I can get some nasty interference at times. Key word, at times. We'll see if it comes back... I going to be doing RCA upgrades as well, which are overdue. I could just swap the old cables in and see if it comes back, but for now - I'm going to enjoy the music! Which is incredible BTW... If these Sierra bookshelves can produce this jaw dropping sound quality, I'm going to be blown away by the Oticas...

morganc

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:48 am »
Thank you for sharing and best wishes for a joy filled marriage and great listening as well! :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:52 am »
I can confirm your impressions - the GR Research speaker cables are very good!  You know what's even better?  Their Power Cables.  Those things are flat out amazing.  Especially if you are dealing with noise. 

Chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:55 am »
Thank you for sharing and best wishes for a joy filled marriage and great listening as well! :D.

Thanks, morganc! :D

Chewbacca

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:58 am »
I can confirm your impressions - the GR Research speaker cables are very good!  You know what's even better?  Their Power Cables.  Those things are flat out amazing.  Especially if you are dealing with noise.

I'll definitely be upgrading all the cables eventually! I'm probably going to do a DIY version of the GR cables! I'm definitely addicted to the DIY now... This was my first time with a speaker build, or even soldering since I was maybe 14 in High School - Well besides two resistors, maybe 10 years ago :lol:

BGA

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2021, 03:19 am »
Fantastic work Chewy, they look wonderful. I may have your cats twins except my black one is a Tuxedo. Mine really really loved the shredded newspaper packing from my kit :lol:

RonP

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2021, 04:07 am »
My little lady and I both wore Pink Floyd T-Shirts (her idea... yeah, I found the right one!) :thumb:

YEAH she's a keeper for sure!

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2021, 06:42 am »
Very, very nice work. 

I wish you two (and the cat) a wonderful, long life together.  There is nothing better than a spouse that shares your passion for music.  Me and my lady have been loving each other and music, both live and recorded for 54 years.  I hope you two have at least that same experience!  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2021, 10:58 am »
Lovely story, all of it.  All the best with everything.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2021, 11:50 am »
What a fun read! Exactly what I needed this morning. Thanks for sharing your sunshine!!!

dpatters

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:19 pm »
What an awesome story and thread! I truly enjoyed reading through your wedding adventure and speaker build. Enjoy the journey, and btw, the speakers look fantastic.

Don P.