Conversation Starter - Wire Confusion

Desertpilot

• Retired
Conversation Starter - Wire Confusion
« on: 16 Nov 2021, 01:03 am »
I'm finally beginning to approach subtle improvements in my system.  How do you deal with all the wires?

All my components are in a media console in the rear of my room.  I need some wire slack so I can pull the console away from my back wall, if needed.  There is a mess of wires back there (power cables, ethernet cables, XLR cables, speaker wire, etc.).  I am a bit OCD about wires and I want to go back there and tidy things up.  I think I read somewhere that power cables should be placed 90 degrees from speaker and interconnect wires.  I see some audiophiles put their wires on risers.  What tricks and tips do all of you have to organize wires?

Right now, I do not hear any noise or static coming from the speakers when I am not playing music.  Complete silence.

Thanks!  Marcus

WGH

Re: Conversation Starter - Wire Confusion
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2021, 08:38 pm »
How do you deal with all the wires?

I ignore them, there is beauty in the randomness of chaotic complex systems. Complete silence means you have reached the pinnacle of wire management.

My stereo is integrated with the 11 channel + subwoofer home theater system along with a music server and a media server in another room. I have wires inside walls and through the attic, all ending up in a 10" space behind the electronics.

Like a bowl of spaghetti, no two wires are parallel, I can turn the volume up past halfway with no hum or hiss. Music emerges from a black background.

Quality shielded interconnects are absolutely necessary in a random layout. I have an unshielded $850 woven interconnect that will insert noise and hum into the entire system if used in the wrong location. The Straight Wire Encore II (red cables) is my workhorse interconnect for home theater, the sound is very clean without adding noise.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2021, 09:23 pm »
WGH +1

In my case, my cabling is almost all Analysis Plus, and I have no problems.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2021, 11:57 pm »
I ignore them, there is beauty in the randomness of chaotic complex systems. Complete silence means you have reached the pinnacle of wire management.

Like a bowl of spaghetti, no two wires are parallel, I can turn the volume up past halfway with no hum or hiss. Music emerges from a black background.

That looks like the back of my media center.  This project goes down to the bottom of my priority list.  Thank you so much.  I needed to hear this.

Marcus

James Edward

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:10 am »
Really- if everything is quiet, and it’s out of sight, leave it alone. I was going to suggest trying to route the wires for neatness while the system was on, so you’d be able to immediately hear a problem, but the old saying applies- ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. I’ve moved wires, had issues, moved them back.
I periodically turn the volume way up with no source playing and go through the inputs just to placate myself; we are a little crazy!…
Jim

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2021, 11:19 am »
Another vote for it if ain't broke.  I've had an old wooden cup holder stand with dowels sticking out at right angles that I've used to lay cables at 90° angles to each other.  Never noticed much of a difference, maybe a tiny increase in the black background, nothing that couldn't be in my head, but I still use it just because.  I believe it was $1.50 at Goodwill, ha ha.

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2021, 01:05 pm »
I gave up on wire management as there are so many cables, it seemed impossible to follow any guidelines that are out there. My system is dead quiet so I just quit thinking about it. 

Don P.