Bryston DAC question

bunkertoy

Bryston DAC question
« on: 14 Nov 2021, 05:47 pm »
Hi People of Audio,

I have a question about integrating a Bryston DAC into my system.
First off please don't cringe when I explain my music source etc. As with any upgrades in a system, it takes time and money to get the pieces fitting perfectly.

Ok so I'm bringing in my music through a Logitech Transporter. I'm told it has a decent built in DAC, It has AES/EBU inputs and outputs. Also has XLR ins/outs.
So here is the maybe stupid question.....If I was to hook up a Bryston DAC to the system would I be getting better sound from digital files  ?
My Logitech Transporter would control the music, then I would output that into the Bryston DAC, then out of the DAC to my Bryston BP25.

Is this a totally wrong way to approach having a decent DAC in the system ????

Love to hear your opinions and or advice.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2021, 08:06 pm by bunkertoy »

spartana

Re: Bryston DAC question
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2021, 07:59 pm »
Hi,

I fear I did not get cour question.  :?

What exactly do you mean by "cleaning up the digital files quality"?

So imho using a Bryston DAC should bring a better sound quality than the D/A section of your Logitech. The Logi is already quite old and indeed D/A conversion has improved since then. I use a BDA3 and I compared it just recently against a D/A converter in the same price range that did not stand a chance.

Cheers,

Holger

bunkertoy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2021, 08:09 pm »
The question was , will this adding a decent DAC to my stereo chin increase quality ? Most of my music is flac

spartana

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2021, 08:31 pm »
From my experience yes. No doubt about it.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2021, 12:42 pm »
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

Onto your question. The Logitech has an excellent interface if you ask me, superb in fact. If I may suggest you to post the rest of info about your system as DACs in general are not always the best thing to upgrade if there are other 'burining issues' with the system. Unless your heart (and mind) is already set on a new DAC, perhaps some other upgrade would be more worthy.

Using the AES (short for Audio Engineering Society) balanced XLR connection would work beautifully with your Logitech. Just remember to use a proper 110 Ohm characteristic impedance cable to connect the two. Don't spend too much on the cable – anything made with a Belden 1800F cable and Neutrik XLR connectors will work as good as anything else.

I assume you're interested in the BDA-3 but regardless, Bryston DACs generally sound excellent with the AES connection and electrical (S/PDIF) connection in general. They have impedance-matching transformers on each input which they don't really advertise but it certainly isn't a common feature in the world of DACs.

All of that being said, only you can decide whether a new DAC is worth the cost. It will be dependent on your 'ear' – whether you can hear the actual difference, number of inputs that you need, the style of the piece or how it makes you feel. People tend to think of upgrading DACs as if they're upgrading a cartridge on their turntable but in reality, it doesn't really work that way and though I'm sure you'll read otherwise, I will be the first to tell you that even a relatively affordable DAC can sound excellent.

Hope this helps. Cheers – Antun

bunkertoy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2021, 12:15 pm »
Thanks for the insightful reply R. Daniel.
I will definitely consider your thoughts. My system is Logitech Transporter - Bryston BP25 - Bryston 3B3

R. Daneel

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2021, 02:24 pm »
I will definitely consider your thoughts. My system is Logitech Transporter - Bryston BP25 - Bryston 3B3

Any speakers yet? ;)

bunkertoy

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2021, 03:21 pm »
I have a newish pair of Totem Signature One. the newer 30th anniversary version. These have the 6.5inch woofers.
I was going to get the Dynaudio Special 40's, as I love bass, but these speakers have been pleasing and seem to have more punch than I thought.

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2021, 07:12 pm »
I have a newish pair of Totem Signature One. the newer 30th anniversary version. These have the 6.5inch woofers.
I was going to get the Dynaudio Special 40's, as I love bass, but these speakers have been pleasing and seem to have more punch than I thought.

Nice! Is your goal to buy a new or a used DAC? I'm asking because your BP-25 is a few years old now.

The 'concern' I have is that a Bryston DAC might really be the best option for you in the musical sense. The thing is, you have a Bryston preamp and if it's anything like the stuff that I have, then a Bryston DAC will only serve to build on the strengths of your preamp and power amp. Another DAC might not be as effectuve in that sense. You also mentioned Dynaudio which gives me a pretty good idea about the character of the sound you like and I must say that Bryston is an excellent partner for the Dynaudio Special 40 and other Dynaudio speakers of course.

Cheers - Antun

bunkertoy

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2021, 08:30 pm »
I know my BP25 is a bit old, but with Bryston products that's never much of an issue. The products are built to last. Maybe if I come across a nice used BP26 I might jump at the upgrade. Although I'm extremely happy with my present preamp.
The feedback I'm getting about adding a DAC to my Transporter is that it will be a slight change, nothing dramatic. Think I'll be holding of until I replace the Transporter.

Thanks so much for your opinions.

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2021, 03:12 pm »
I know my BP25 is a bit old, but with Bryston products that's never much of an issue. The products are built to last. Maybe if I come across a nice used BP26 I might jump at the upgrade. Although I'm extremely happy with my present preamp.
The feedback I'm getting about adding a DAC to my Transporter is that it will be a slight change, nothing dramatic. Think I'll be holding of until I replace the Transporter.

Thanks so much for your opinions.

Hi!

My BDP-2/BDA-2 is not the newest and the greatest anymore either. I don't mind because the important thing is that I'm enjoying this system immensely. Well, and that it's actually all paid for!

Cheers - Antun

Grant Hill

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm »

Grant Hill

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm »

Well go for it  :D