X owners have you replaced your power cords to the speakers?

Jpdoyle3

Thinking I’d like to replace the stock power cords, without breaking the bank. What has your experience been? Recommendations?

geerock

Re: X owners have you replaced your power cords to the speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2021, 04:18 pm »
I've got Anticables in my X5's because I had an extra pair laying around but I put them in when my speakers were new so I really don't know if there was a difference from stock.  I can tell you this.....every other piece of equipment I've tried those cables in has been an immediate and obvious positive change.  And they're not break the bank cost.  I've tried other more expensive PC's and always go back to the Anticables.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2021, 07:33 pm »
I use Audio Envy power cords for the Hypex amps on the X5's. Just be aware there can be some interference with the metal stand, so oversize connectors could be a problem.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2021, 08:54 pm »
I like to DIY so I'm about to make up some from scratch today, based on Danny's design, here:

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p119/B24_Power_Cable.html

Raw cable for it is here:

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p64/24_Strand_DIY_Audiophile_Speaker_Cable.html

The (very nice) connectors I use are Viborg, which are at the same level of quality as the Furutech stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203145191980?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f4c65a22c:g:BzsAAOSwvJdZo4x2

It gets you $2k level performance for about $200 per power cable. 

JTF

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2021, 08:28 pm »
I DIY'd a pair of 10ft cables, just to have something nicer looking running across the floor. You need to watch the connector size, as Tom mentioned, the first pair of connectors I bought were too large. There was no difference in performance.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2021, 08:41 pm »
Not yet!  I'm still waiting for the 200 hour mark (break-in), to see how everything sounds before I start tweaking.   :popcorn:

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2021, 10:16 pm »
Thinking I’d like to replace the stock power cords, without breaking the bank. What has your experience been? Recommendations?
I originally purchased a pair of NRG Custom Cables PCs and they barely fit due to the large plug.  I didn’t hear a difference.

Then, I decided to swap them out for a pair of Audioquest Monsoon PCs.  Again, I could not hear a difference.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2021, 11:06 pm »
I like to DIY so I'm about to make up some from scratch today, based on Danny's design, here:

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p119/B24_Power_Cable.html

Raw cable for it is here:

https://www.gr-research.com/store/p64/24_Strand_DIY_Audiophile_Speaker_Cable.html

The (very nice) connectors I use are Viborg, which are at the same level of quality as the Furutech stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203145191980?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f4c65a22c:g:BzsAAOSwvJdZo4x2

It gets you $2k level performance for about $200 per power cable. 

Finished them up this afternoon and got them installed about an hour ago.  For me there's a definite improvement but less than what I hear when upgrading the power cable to a DAC or a preamp or a main amp.  Still definitely worth the time and effort to get it done.  Mostly I get better clarity and somewhat better dynamics.  Not just in the bass but throughout the musical presentation.

bbybaudio

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2021, 07:42 pm »
Anticable ref 3 power cords. Same as geerock, in my system they outperform everything else.

RonP

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:13 pm »
Try Pete's power cables. I have them in my system and always notice a difference when I upgrade from a "factory" power cable to one of his.

For this application, you'll notice it less vs putting one of his cables on a source/preamp/amp but check it out
https://triodewirelabs.com/product/twelve-plus-american-series/

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2021, 08:48 pm »
Here's a pic of my DIY cables I mentioned above.  Turned out pretty nice I think!

genjamon

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2021, 09:17 pm »
Looks like plenty of room for large connectors on Tyson's X3's.  I guess the ones that are tight are the X5's, since they're narrower baffles and as a result the metal stands are tighter spacing up against the Hypex amp plate?

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2021, 09:31 pm »
Looks like plenty of room for large connectors on Tyson's X3's.  I guess the ones that are tight are the X5's, since they're narrower baffles and as a result the metal stands are tighter spacing up against the Hypex amp plate?
Yes, apparently so. Oh well, tight, but it works  :thumb:

bbybaudio

« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm »
In addition to the anticable Ref 3 power cables I use Oyaide wall outlets. Noticeable improvement in sound.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2021, 10:51 pm »
Here are a couple more photos of the same DIY power cable format mentioned by Tyson.  The base of the cable is a 24 strand, counterwoven design.  Cumulative of around 9 ga per combined conductor. These have a cotton rope core with the ground wire running through its center. 

I've assembled these for several customers and think they are a great value. 

Elon

ezeescrossovers.com

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2021, 11:53 pm »
Ezee, actually my PC's are not quite like that.  Same wire for sure but I don't have the cotton rope in the middle, I like the hollow look without it so I leave it out.  Also I don't run a separate ground wire.  Instead, I take 3 white strands and 3 clear strands and twist them together to make the ground.