Hi! Looking for a decent outboard DAC for my Iphone/Ipad source

crad

Hi all,

Been a member for over 11 years but looks like I haven't posted here in a long while. I've been a huge audiophile since the early 90's with Jeff Rowland, Cary, Ayre, Accuphase, Jolida, Enlightened Audio Designs, YBA, Goldmund.....and many other nice bits of gear have passed and gone through my set ups. After many, many moons, my music requirements & gear have greatly changed and been simplified; as the budget has too.

For my small home machine shop, I'm looking for a outboard DAC that can connect to a dedicated iPhone or Ipad (recent 256gb model) as a “hi-res” music source for my work bench that I can sync up to my other apple set ups on the property. I never use headphones and DAC will only be needed for a integrated speaker amp (integrated).
Budget is well, in the budget category. I've been hearing good things about the Schiit Modi Multibit, the Luxury & Precision W2 dongle and AQ Dragonfly Cobalt or Red. $300 or less for DAC.

For me, it's all about the music and not about the tech science measurements. Looking for something musical and less fatiguing (I know, big ask with budget). I've gone down the accuracy & dry rabbit hole but found I'm much happier with vinyl, tube and silky sounding music.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

PS> Also looking for a small used Tim Rawson Gainclone integrated amp or similar to try out (maybe a small Class A) but that would be for another thread.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2021, 07:45 pm by crad »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: decent outboard DAC for Iphone/Ipad source
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2021, 09:34 pm »
Well welcome to life so  :thumb:

crad

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2021, 11:38 pm »
Thanks Fullrange.

The winding road that life takes you through. Currently in my shop milling parts for a fun project while listening to my music; no complaints.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2021, 12:43 am »
I have the Modi 3. It sounds very nice. Not the ultimate in low end and soundstage but sounds smooth.

crad

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2021, 01:45 am »
"I have the Modi 3. It sounds very nice. Not the ultimate in low end and soundstage but sounds smooth."

Thanks charmerci,

I've been hearing many good things about the newest version, the Modi 3+, it's still only $99 but I have a budget to go higher if it's worthwhile and one of the reason why I've been asking about the Modi Multibit, the Luxury & Precision W2 DAC and DragonFly Cobalt. Have a hard time believing the $99 can beat $300 DAC's that are also getting rave reviews.

The Multibit has some harsh reviews by ones who prefer bench measurements but gets excellent reviews for ones who listen to it. Just hoping to hear from ones who have any experience with the ones I listed.
The new Modi 3+ could be a good one.

charmerci

Re: Looks for a decent outboard DAC for Iphone/Ipad source
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2021, 05:19 am »
Maybe the iFi Zen DAC then. But you can always buy the Modi and send it back if it's not up to snuff. It's small and light for shipping costs.

You can look up my system. I replaced the Ultra DAC with the Modi and for a c-note, it held its own especially if it's just for not sitting down and seriously listening.

crad

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2021, 07:27 am »
you can always buy the Modi and send it back if it's not up to snuff.
I replaced the Ultra DAC with the Modi and for a c-note, it held its own especially if it's just for not sitting down and seriously listening

I hear good things about iFi but would most likely try the Modi3+ before the Zen. Schiit office/store is actually only 25min away from me and may have to go over there. The iFi USB jitter silencer is suppose to make a really nice improvement on the Modi.

Interesting about the Ultra DAC (they use to be big $$$$), at one time I had a Meridian transport/DAC but don't remember much about it but that was in another lifetime and ear.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2021, 11:55 am »
I have a Modi 3 plus that I use in a bedroom system.  It has a nice slightly warmer, darker sound when paired with a Marantz 2ch receiver.  It has punchy bass, not the last word in detail.   I use a Jitterbug with it which cleans up the sound a little.   The Modius is supposed to have a more refined sound with more air and transparency.

I agree, the guy at ASR that does all the measurements really does not listen to electronics and comment on the sound.  Specs aren't everything.

crad

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2021, 07:36 pm »
Thanks Greyhound for letting me know how your modi 3 & jitterbug sounds, it's very helpful. I think I'll just get one in the mean time until feeling like I need something else.

On the asr site, they leave me a little dumbfounded and sad. My father was an engineer in LA in the 60's-70's at JBL, designing studio monitors, I grew up going with him as a kid going to his office and traveling all over with him to project sites to listen to the results, meeting many top musicians and recording sound engineers. He would be aghast by asr's mentality & attitude, the music always comes first, then measurements. That was something I forgot myself as an adult, trying to chase the ultimate sound & spec's and forgetting about the Music.

Have a good weekend and enjoy the music!

PS> I once had the orig. BAT pre-amp, loved it. The Pass 250 is also very worthy! You have a very nice system. Cheers
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2021, 10:08 pm by crad »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Welcome back to AC crad   :thumb:

crad

Welcome back to AC crad   :thumb:

Thanks Arthur, It’s good to be back.