X-5's Are On-the-way!

consttraveler

• I think I won!
X-5's Are On-the-way!
« on: 28 Oct 2021, 06:45 pm »
I just got the notice that my long awaited X-5's are on the truck and headed my way.  Wonderful news!

Now to warm up the AGD Audion mono blocks!

Daryl Zero

Re: X-5's Are On-the-way!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2021, 08:23 pm »
Congrats!

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2021, 08:17 pm »
Well, the X-5's showed up yesterday evening.  Nine days to go from Salt Lake to my house, an eight hour drive.  The Mormons covered the distance faster and they were on foot pushing hand carts!

The great news is they are set-up and making beautiful music.  I have fiddled with location and toe-in this morning, moving them a total of two inches from their plop down location.  Now for the break-in period!   :popcorn:

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2021, 10:37 pm »
Congratulations.  Let us know your impressions as they break in.

Marcus

kayakerf

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2021, 01:22 am »

Now to warm up the AGD Audion mono blocks!
have you compared the Audions to any tube amps?

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2021, 04:01 pm »
have you compared the Audions to any tube amps?

Nope.  I have compared them to Carver, Wyred 4 Sound ICE, LFD, and a very old Yamaha; all SS.  All come in a distant second to the Audions as for clarity and detail retrieval.  The LFD Mistral was the best of the rest.

Dave

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2021, 08:59 pm »
I will hit the 125 hour mark this evening.  So far the changes I have noticed follow the other break-in threads here on AC.  Mids and highs are getting more precise every day.  Bass is as good as I have ever experienced, and overall detail retrieval is stunning!  I'm running the Bass Gain at about 85% and it blends nicely.

At the very beginning, I was worried that the X-5 pairing with the AGD Audion Mono Blocks might be too much of a good thing.  No longer!  What was pinched and dry (highs especially) has opened up very nicely.  Again, I am stunned, and very, very happy!

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2021, 01:21 am »
I will hit the 125 hour mark this evening.  So far the changes I have noticed follow the other break-in threads here on AC.  Mids and highs are getting more precise every day.  Bass is as good as I have ever experienced, and overall detail retrieval is stunning!  I'm running the Bass Gain at about 85% and it blends nicely.

At the very beginning, I was worried that the X-5 pairing with the AGD Audion Mono Blocks might be too much of a good thing.  No longer!  What was pinched and dry (highs especially) has opened up very nicely.  Again, I am stunned, and very, very happy!

I’ve owned those Audion Golden Dreams and loved them. I’d love to hear them with Spatials.  Where are you located?  I’m in Arizona and have the X-3’s and am debating a few options for a new tube amp. 

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2021, 03:30 pm »
I'm retired in the mountains of Wyoming.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2021, 07:14 pm »
Now at approximately 200 Hours!

The Sound Stage has increased in height, width and depth dramatically!

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2021, 08:19 pm »
At 224 hours the speakers disappeared!  The sound stage is taller and wider than the area encompassed by the speakers.  I'm slightly giddy!   :popcorn:

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2021, 01:26 am »
Your giddyness is contagious,  Enjoy!