X5 for casual listening off axis

kayakerf

X5 for casual listening off axis
« on: 28 Oct 2021, 04:02 am »
X5 owners: is off-axis, casual listening acceptable? I suspect sound stage and some frequencies may be lost off axis but what else?

thanks

Mr. Big

Re: X5 for casual listening off axis
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:30 pm »
All you have to do is try it and see how you feel about the sound. No one has your gear or room or cables, only you will know if it works or not.  :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2021, 04:41 pm »
Based on my experience with the X2's, I'd say that off axis the X series sounds very good, partly because they are fully OB so they fill the room with sound in a very pleasing way that box speakers just can't match. 

And, bonus, when you DO sit in the sweet spot, the sound 'locks in' and elevates to an even higher level.

So, whether you are in the sweet spot or not, you're still getting absolutely world class sound.

kayakerf

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2021, 12:51 am »
Thanks Tyson - Clayton determined that I was in between the M3S and the X5. My concern with the M3S is my room has a full 24' long wall of glass on one side. So, I was leaning towards the X5 since it's a bit more directional but wanted to get other's perspectives/experience. Obviously it won't sound as good as in the sweet spot but I wanted to not have to deal with any artifacts of the AMT/horn.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2021, 12:59 am »
You are right, being able to "aim" the high frequencies a bit is going to probably be best in a room with a lot of glass. 

Downtheline

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2021, 04:08 am »
I previously had the m5s, now have x5. I still enjoy the sound off axis from the x5, but m5s was better in that regard.

kayakerf

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2021, 04:38 am »
I previously had the m5s, now have x5. I still enjoy the sound off axis from the x5, but m5s was better in that regard.
I'd expect that to be the case. But just as long as it doesn't sound "off" or bad I guess it's a compromise.

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2021, 11:50 am »
Thanks Tyson - Clayton determined that I was in between the M3S and the X5. My concern with the M3S is my room has a full 24' long wall of glass on one side. So, I was leaning towards the X5 since it's a bit more directional but wanted to get other's perspectives/experience. Obviously it won't sound as good as in the sweet spot but I wanted to not have to deal with any artifacts of the AMT/horn.

You might consider a pair of standalone acoustic panels(have feet) to put at the point of first reflection for your X5's given the glass wall. I would contact Clayton for truly informed help :-)

I have X5's and initially supposed that they would be pretty immune to room interaction however I am finding that they do take a fair amount of tweaking to get them to The Happy Place.