Border Patrol SE-i DAC with X series

abomwell

Border Patrol SE-i DAC with X series
« on: 12 Oct 2021, 06:31 pm »
I'm curious if anyone is using, or has used, the Border Patrol SE-i DAC with  X series speakers. It doesn't measure well based on the Stereophile review but subjective reviewers' comments are positive.

ric

Re: Border Patrol SE-i DAC with X series
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2021, 01:48 pm »
I own the BP and am very happy with it. If you read the "if it measures bad it can't be good" philosophy, and agree with it, then go with that. For myself, I am in the subjective camp which means you listen and do what your ears tell you, and mine like the BP dac.
    If you do decide to purchase BP, if it doesn't have the newer Jupiter cap upgrade, I recommend it. I also recommend the Synergistic new fuses (in my case orange) huge upgrade in sound quality. It is also sensitive to cable and PC upgrades. Good luck!

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:04 pm »
I own the BP and am very happy with it. If you read the "if it measures bad it can't be good" philosophy, and agree with it, then go with that. For myself, I am in the subjective camp which means you listen and do what your ears tell you, and mine like the BP dac.
    If you do decide to purchase BP, if it doesn't have the newer Jupiter cap upgrade, I recommend it. I also recommend the Synergistic new fuses (in my case orange) huge upgrade in sound quality. It is also sensitive to cable and PC upgrades. Good luck!

I also own one without the upgrades (the SE "non i" version), and share your sentiments.  Organic and human sounding.  Makes you listen to music instead of sounds.   :thumb:

abomwell

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:19 pm »
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Al

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2021, 06:57 am »
I forgot to ask what it does when fed a high resolution signal like 192/24.