How Many of You Spin Vinyl?

Tangram

How Many of You Spin Vinyl?
« on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:55 pm »
I'm curious to know how many of you primarily listen to vinyl through your Spatials. I do. In fact, I don't have any digital in my main rig, where the Spatials call home. Because of the high sensitivity of the M3s I was worried that groove noise and pops and clicks would be annoying but I am happy to report that isn't the case. 

Based on some of the thread comments, it seems I may be in the minority.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2021, 04:27 pm by Tangram »

bbybaudio

Re: How Many of You Spin Vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2021, 06:54 pm »
i routinely spin vinyl and listen through X5s, fantastic! I have many albums that just sound better that digital. The converse is also true.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:19 pm »
About 80/20 digital and vinyl.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:47 pm »
I have the M3’s and absolutely love love my vinyl rig. I would imagine it would depend a lot on TT, Cart and Phonopre but my Acoustic Signature Triple X with Umami Red sounds stellar through my SPL Phonos.  I play digital when I’m up and about the house but my vinyl just sounds so good, even my older albums are enjoyable . M3’s are just that good at least for me.   :D

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:59 pm »
I am mostly digital but I go through periods where I listen to vinyl.  I definitely need an upgrade from my 1970's Thorens TD-145 and Nagaoka MP200 cartridge or at least a phono preamp upgrade.

forky

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:36 am »
Since I got my new carts  - VDH Crimson (which sounds incredible) which is in route to AJ for repair after having it for only 3 weeks and snapped off the cantilever :( ) and now a Hana Red   :green: , I'm 95% vinyl and 5% cd.

I'm not sure which cart will be the primary and which one will be the back up. I may by another matching tone arm and just swap.

I don't have a dac/streamer.

ric

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2021, 01:39 pm »
Since the pandemic, I have upgraded to a Zen mini and Border Patrol Dac with Tidal. I had been hesitant about streaming for a long time, took the plunge and like a kid in a candy store, so much music to choose from.
BUT! The potential problem of anything at your fingertips is that it can turn into quantity over quality. What was once putting on a record or cd is now putting on something and listening part of the way through, finding something else with the touch of an app and that somehow degrades the quality part of listening. Yes, it's exciting to hear new music, so I find myself split between listening to streaming (easy) vs. getting up, finding a record, dusting it off, cleaning the cartidge tip and so forth.
For myself, overall vinyl is the superior medium, and there is a part of me that misses going through the ritual of vinyl playback. Then there's the part of me that sits on my ass and does everything with the touch of a button.
Oh, and BTW I do not listen to classical on cd or streaming, and hugely prefer it on vinyl. But I'm also a big jazz fan, so there really is a seesaw affect with streaming vs. vinyl. Happy listening!

Tangram

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2021, 04:25 pm »
i routinely spin vinyl and listen through X5s, fantastic! I have many albums that just sound better that digital. The converse is also true.

Which do you primarily listen to?

Lawnguy54

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:12 pm »
I am listening to My 701 record player right know Donna Summer, see it will take me till 2022 if I listen to one a day.  Thank You this is Lawnguy54 over and out

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:20 pm »
100 percent vinyl.
0 percent Spatial (sorry...)

Paul

Lawnguy54

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:28 pm »
By the way with 705's Polk sounds great as I like to get two more speakers 703's as now I'm going to listen to Creedence Gold. PS Anyone know were I can find... 701 Yamaha

rwanda

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2021, 12:13 am »
I spin vinyl and listen on M3 TM speakers...through PP Luxman  and ALMARRO 318B ..it is sublime.
Of course the cartridge is a Hana Sl and it goes through a Sutherland PHd3....very quiet and no noticeable issues with noise. The speakers are verry revealing so cables etc. are all important  and I am finding that I love Western Electric Vintage wire for the cables.

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2021, 12:36 pm »
Grew up with Vinyl and had 1, 000 or more LPs. Now I have 1,500 CDs and counting, I have no reason to go back to vinyl to rebuy what I have on CD, I still buy CDs as needed, but I own all the music I could ever listen to already, and many will never be on Vinyl. Sound-wise the CD's if mastered well sound superb same as my vinyl, many more mastered or as recorded they sound bad, bright, and also over dark and compressed.  My dealer played me streaming on top-tier gear and I was not overly impressed. I see the coolness of it, but sound-wise it is not as good as Vinyl or CD. My tier for high-quality sound is 45 RPM, Reel-to-reel, Vinyl, and CD tied depending on the mastering, in fact, they all depend on mastering and production. More music today is corporate-made music whatever sells they have all others follow that sound and style and with digital they no longer need a group in one room, they can leach lay their tracks down send them in and the producer does the rest and it sounds like it. 
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2021, 11:32 pm by Mr. Big »

jachinboazicus

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2021, 08:39 pm »
Avid wax spinner here.

I have ~500 LP's and 45's, Rega's RP3 TT, a Ortofon Blue cart, Schiit Mani Phono pre, and a bunch of quad records and all the necessary quad stuff (rc-4 remote, CD-4 decoder, etc.).

I also had to go to great lengths to isolate my TT because I was seeing a LOT of woofer excursion due to sub-sonic feedback. My Rega is ~25ft away from my M3's--literally on the opposite side of the room. The TT is also sitting on an Auralex pad, on top of a 2in marble slab, which is sitting on a Kallax shelf. 

I used to do a regular monthly listening session at my place before the 'Vid. We'd all bring a handful of records, and we'd spin 1 side per person through the night 'til folks were ready to call it. Great way to hang with friends and get introduced to new music.

That said, I've been spinning records less and less often the past year. Between the cost of the average LP going up, and scarcity of great pressings vs nostalgia incarnate, and my desire to look for new music, I've been going to digital far more these days. My wax shelf is getting dusty.
What I will say about vinyl on Spatials, is that the speakers will elucidate good and bad recordings/productions/pressings. The speakers will also reveal shortcomings in the gear chain. I REALLY need to get my Marantz 4300 serviced.

Best vinyl on my Spatials? My radio-press 45 of I Put A Spell On You by Screaming Jay Hawkings.
Worst wax on my Spatials? Metallica. Holy mother of horrible.

Jprod

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2021, 08:43 pm »
X5 owner here with don sachs preamp and soon to have decware mini Tori jr  tube amp ( currently running a Dennis had tube amp ) and a vpi prime tt. Phono pre is a ps audio stellar
I’m almost 100% vinyl and love the sound compared to digital.  I have a bel canto e one stream but hardly use it.  Couldn’t be happier with my set up!
The x5s with vinyl that’s properly mastered is heaven

Just read the post above me that was posted at the same time - I don’t have an issue with excursion and my Tt is on a butcher block and an isolating platform about 2-3 feet from my right speaker.
The only issue I have is trying to take off acrylic cover off tt - recently nudged speaker with it which fortunately only caused a slight indent of about 1/4 inch in length in the black sub baffle  with no paint compromise -  never spin vinyl with too much bourbon !

Mr. Big

« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2021, 08:55 pm »
All CDs's all 1,500 of them and buying more weekly. All starts and ends in the mastering of any format. Sound superb and I had 2,000 or more LP's.

mav52

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2021, 11:31 pm »
Never Stopped spinning vinyl since the 70's. Still going strong. And I still spin CD's.  And stream. 

dynaflo

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2021, 12:00 am »
By the way with 705's Polk sounds great as I like to get two more speakers 703's as now I'm going to listen to Creedence Gold. PS Anyone know were I can find... 701 Yamaha
I have a Yamaha YP 701 (belt drive) and a P700 (direct drive) both of which turn slow.  Any suggestions on how to fix the problems?  Maybe a new belt on the 701.  It's the original from the mid 70's.

abby normal

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2021, 06:00 am »
i spin them long enough to get a CEDAR'ed digital dub of the material so i can put it on the hard drive for further restoration work.