Hello!

andy-c

Hello!
« on: 4 Oct 2021, 05:54 am »
I'd like to introduce myself, I have a little bit of experience and lot of interest in diy audio and woodworking, and am setting out to give a bit of a refresh to the hifi system with as much diy as possible. Looking forward to learning more!

Phil A

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2021, 11:33 am »
Welcome to AC!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Andy

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2021, 03:19 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Andy         :thumb:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2021, 03:46 pm »
Hi Andy,
It's a pleasure welcoming a fellow DIY audio guy and woodworker.   
Enjoy the AC! 

andy-c

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2021, 05:54 am »
Thanks everyone!

andy-c

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2021, 06:07 am »
I'm sure I'll learn more once I have search access, but one area I'm interested in researching is an ideal combination of power amplifier and speaker that will perform well at low listening volumes. We listen to a lot of music in our living room (16' x 12') and like to keep the music at a conversational level, but as I start to replace my current equipment I don't want to find myself a system that really only opens up at moderate volumes. What circle would be the best to get this kind of a conversation going in, to learn more about what to be looking for?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2021, 11:57 am »
The human ear has been shown to be more sensitive to midrange frequencies at lower sound pressure levels (spl).  Adding a subwoofer and a tweeter that you can adjust the volume separately from the rest of the system helps.  Listening at lower spl limits the possible dynamic range but extends the lifetime of your sense of hearing.  Hopefully your listening room has low background noise levels and/or is well insulated that would allow you to hear more without long term hearing loss. 

Just what levels do you normally listen at?  Until you measure you'll be speaking in generalities.  Recommend picking up a spl application for your cell phone.  Lately I've been enjoying big band streaming radio at average 60-70 dB but typically I listen to small ensemble jazz and classical at average 70-80 dB in my dedicated, well insulated 8ft x 13ft x 21ft basement room that's out in the country.  Keep in mind that peak live performance spls in jazz or classical are 105 dB (but are very short) and rock live peaks are 110 dB (at longer exposures).

Highly efficient loudspeakers allow for more dynamic range, but the average spl needs to be higher to hear the low volume signals.  Buy loudspeakers first, to match your taste and room, then find an amp that matches the loudspeaker manufacturer's recommendations.  Look for sufficient power to provide a commanding grip for better resolution.  The numbers are fascinating but only tell part of the story.  Low efficiency loudspeakers, say 83 dB/w/m, would need roughly 500 watts to reach live rock levels while high efficiency loudspeakers, say 100 dB/w/m, would need about 10 watts to reach those same levels.  But true, real world, specifications are hard to find. 
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2021, 01:32 pm by JLM »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2021, 03:32 am »
I'm sure I'll learn more once I have search access, but one area I'm interested in researching is an ideal combination of power amplifier and speaker that will perform well at low listening volumes. We listen to a lot of music in our living room (16' x 12') and like to keep the music at a conversational level, but as I start to replace my current equipment I don't want to find myself a system that really only opens up at moderate volumes. What circle would be the best to get this kind of a conversation going in, to learn more about what to be looking for?
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
We dont have a specific Circle for this kind of equipment, but if you wont need hi SPL performance I would recommended a small tube amp and a hi sensitivity Full Range driver as Visaton B200 (96dB sensitivity) or other hi sensitivity speaker, they are very responsive at the lower power level because there is no xover to suck the amp power, the speaker run direct from the amp.

Do you want a small enclosure too?
https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an10classicspecs.jpg