Ribbons R Ribbons, tin foil hats !

2bigears

Ribbons R Ribbons, tin foil hats !
« on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:38 am »
 :D hello good AC peeps.  Bought a used set of ProAc D48r speakers and they sounded bad right off.  I thought it was tubes or room placement ,, after a close look I see the ribbons are broken. The guy I bought them from told me to take a hike. Even though they are still under warranty.  Good lord big city people.
     Is it easy to replace these in home ?  I had D36's before and they were real fine speakers for the money.  Any help thanks much.   Regards from Canada.    :D
     1500.00 for ProAc replacements
       300.00 for G2 or G2Si
          10.00 for new ribbons....  ProAc won't answer emails asking 6 or 8 ohm ?  If a company can't make 1000.00 bucks off you they won't chat. Great customer support  :duh:
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm by 2bigears »

mav52

Re: Ribbons broken on new speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2021, 12:25 pm »
Was the person you bought these from a dealer ?, if not these speakers are not new.   I say contact the manufacture https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/html_files/ContactUs.php

walkern

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2021, 01:37 pm »
Based on looking at photos of the speakers it appears that Proac used Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeters.  Can't really tell for sure without having precise size measurements, but those ribbons were commonly used by a variety of manufacturers.  It looks like Proac designed/used their own face plate, and they may have had the tweeters customized for the D48r.  No way to be sure without contacting Proac.  If they are 'stock' Aurum Cantus tweeters (with just a custom face plate) you can buy whole tweeters (here in the U.S. from Parts-Express).  You MAY also be able to buy just the ribbon element replacements, however I can tell you from experience that they are very VERY delicate and a bit tricky to replace.  WAY easier (but more expensive) to just buy the whole tweeter, swap out the standard face plate with the Proac custom one, and install them making sure the wiring is hooked up correctly.

Best of luck.

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:24 pm »
IF the ribbon is easily replaceable then they are under five bucks.  A thread on DIYaudio said that the installation instruction pdf was no longer available

https://www.parts-express.com/Aurum-Cantus-G2Si-Replacement-Ribbon-276-401

Here is a pdf on replacing the ribbon in a Fountek tweeter.  Fairly complex but doable.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/download/JP3%20Ribbon%20Replacement.pdf

Also Parts Express may be able to assist or even perform the replacement themselves, or recommend someone who can.  Then it's just some shipping and repair fees but is a new tweeter cheaper.  Currently the round face version is $136.98.  If it were me I'd opt for a new matched pair, especially if the swap is easy.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:47 pm »
How can you be sure it's the G2Si model?

On the Aurum Cantus website I also see a G2i model that looks identical to it.

http://aucantus.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=16&page=2

The other difference I notice is that in online photos of the Proac speaker I see 5 mounting bolts, while on the AC website there are only 4 bolts for both these models.

I'd contact Proac to get a positive ID on the tweeter.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2021, 04:29 pm »
 :D thanks everybody.  Sorry , they are new to me but not that old. The guy I bought them from told me to go take a hike even though still on warranty.  Good lord. Buying used is a pain.  I emailed ProAc.  Should he plug and play you would think.  Is it common for them to break I was wondering ? Should have bought M3's,,,,ha. Still mat very well buy the open baffle.   :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2021, 06:49 pm »
Years ago I bought a used pair of Vaughn Triodes that used the Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon tweeter, and I noticed within the first week that the delicate foil membranes were damaged.

Spoke to Jim Jordan (Vaughn designer / builder) about it and he said he was quite familiar with the problem.  They are very delicate and he said just gently blowing on them could cause damage.  He did explain how they could be cheaply repaired for a few bux (as described earlier), but the operation struck me as too complicated and the possibility of failing to get the correct tension would always gnaw at me and feed my nervosa.

So Jim sent me a new pair of complete tweeters, and I returned to him my tweeter housings that he could use after re-threading with new foil.  It worked out cheaply for me.  I can't recall exact details, but the seller did help absorb some of the cost.  No way to prove how / when it happened -- his house or mine -- or in shipping, so it seemed fair for both of us to be out a bit.

Perhaps ask Proac if they can work out a similar exchange for you, and reduce your cost?   Good luck sorting it out.  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2021, 06:57 pm »
 :D thank you.  I am looking at the block and the strip of tin foil is held in with blocks that are simply screwed down. The ribbon is 5 bucks,,,,,ha.  Just waiting to hear back from ProAc.  G2i or G2Si ,,,, ?  Might be easy to replace the tin foil ,,,,,   Thanks much for the links. You guys are the best.   :D

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2021, 06:58 pm »
2bigears how long ago did you buy the speakers and how did you pay for them? If not too long ago and if you paid with credit card, you may be able to get your credit card company to help get your money back.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:15 pm »
:D thank you.  I am looking at the block and the strip of tin foil is held in with blocks that are simply screwed down. The ribbon is 5 bucks,,,,,ha.  Just waiting to hear back from ProAc.  G2i or G2Si ,,,, ?  Might be easy to replace the tin foil ,,,,,   Thanks much for the links. You guys are the best.   :D

I thought the same, till I had it apart and and started playing around with the wedges and actually felt the foil.  Very delicate and fragile.   :o    No way I was gonna chance it.    :shake:

And even if I did manage to install it without tearing it,  I'd never trust that it was installed "properly".  That is, with the correct tension and rippling.

But not lots to lose financially even if you do muck it up.   :dunno:

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:23 pm »
 :D no wedges on these puppies. A simple screw-down block. If you tension it so it lays nice and flat ,, that should be fine you would think. We will see what my distributor/manufacture people inform.    Can these break from over-driving ?  I don't know much about theses.  I like soft domes as they sound good to me. More robust than a strip on foil,,ha.   :D

Jstower

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:41 pm »
I’ve made a replacement ribbon for my G2Si out of aluminum foil, I used the thinnest.Not that hard, you use the Fiskars paper crimper.  Basically you cut the foil the correct width and run it threw the crimper, you have to make sure you run it straight. My best tip is to use non magnetic tools when assembling it. And no I could not tell the difference between the tweeter I fixed and the original one. Good luck

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2021, 07:45 pm »
I’ve made a replacement ribbon for my Gs2i out of aluminum foil. Not that hard, you use the Fiskars paper crimper.  Basically you cut the foil the correct width and run it threw the crimper, you have to make sure you run it straight. My best tip is to use non magnetic tools when assembling it. And no I could not tell the difference between the tweeter I fixed and the original one. Good luck

Interesting.....

Plain old aluminum foil comes in different thicknesses.  Very hard to believe that doesn't effect the sound.   :scratch:

Jstower

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:11 pm »
I did buy the replacement ribbons from Part Express, just to have on hand, but I’m still have the one I made in one of my tweeters. Still sounds great after a couple of years.

2bigears

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:13 pm »
 :D   You bet you can make your own. But dollar store foil or heavy duty stuff ?  Then the crimp pattern ?  Sorta hard to get as manufactures ?  Ridge width and height and weight of foil ?  It will all matter.  1 cent worth of foil in a speaker !    Ha.  It's the rare earth that cost.   :D

Jstower

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:16 pm »
You want the thinnest foil you can find. And the Fiskar paper crimper works pretty good. I just tried because and the time my ribbon was broken, Parts Express had them on Back order . I said what do I have to loose if it doesn’t work. I really was surprised how it sounded.

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:26 pm »
 :D that would be the dollar store then !  It gives a 12mg weight ?   Would not be hard to do if you had a crimper as used by the manufacture !  I wonder just how much difference ?  The ribbon is so cheap to buy.   I think I'll go that direction.  See what ProAc says.    Maybe ,,,,,ha.   :D

Jstower

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:38 pm »
By all means buy the replacements. I just tried to make something so I could listen to my system. My wife already owned the Fiskars crimper in crafting room. So it was a no brainer.

2bigears

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:46 pm »
 :D you could be so right. If i can find a crimper i just might flange up a foil and give it a whirl.  Nothing to loose at all.   Thanks.  Off to Wally-world for a crimping device.....ha.   :D

Jstower

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2021, 08:55 pm »
The main thing is to use a brand new razor blade when cutting the foil in to long strips, I cut a bunch.  Then I made sure it matched the same width as the original ribbon. Also you will have to practice with the crimper to make sure you get it straight, but doable. Good luck