Atma-sphere amp/pre-amp for X-5s

Buffdriver

Atma-sphere amp/pre-amp for X-5s
« on: 2 Jul 2021, 07:42 pm »
Hello, I am a brand new member (today), and I am very close to ordering a pair of X5s -- we just moved to Las Vegas, so i get to set up a new sound system from the bottom up.  Clayton pointed me to Atma-sphere S-30 for an amp and possibly the MP-3 for the preamp (but it has no remote for volume control).  Anyone here with experience and feedback with these electronics?  I mostly listen to classical, vocals, and mixed rock (no heavy metal), and some movie orchestrations (e.g. "The Mission" and others). I have a medium sized room. 
Thanks!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: Atma-sphere amp/pre-amp for X-5s
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2021, 08:51 pm »
I currently have X-5s and have owned in the past an MP3 and the 60 amplifier version.  All are high quality from top drawer individuals.  Only negative is heat generated by AtmaSphere might tax Las Vegas air conditioning.  Sonically  should be a great system.

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2021, 09:05 pm »
X5's love tubes.  Clayton likes to demo his speakers with LTA tube amp and recently got a great integrated from Don Sachs.  Its Don's newest offering, the Valhalla and it is an all in one solution that is a great price.  I use Dons all in preamp that runs off of the 6sn7 tubes with the LTA reference 40 and have huge soundstage and 3d depth.  Simply love it.  IMHO, the 6sn7 is a great audio tube.

bbybaudio

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2021, 09:21 pm »
I have X5s and am running all tubes and love it. Like Glynn, on an earlier system I had the MP3 and M60 monos from Atmasphere. Fantastic 3D, voices and instruments. The drawback was heat (a lot) and was not getting sufficient low end out of my conventional speakers. Lack of bass will not be an issue with the X5s, so Atmasphere combo should sound good. As Geerock noted Don Sachs Valhalla integrated is great. Also, fantastic write ups on the Raven Audio Blackhawk MkIII integrated. Good luck!

bk12

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2021, 09:23 pm »
FWIW, I am not sure if the remote comment was for a specific unit, or in general.  The MP-3 can come with a remote, and I would bet Ralph could add it if you wanted to incorporate into an existing unit without.  Great units btw!

Buffdriver

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2021, 10:43 pm »
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  Hope you are having a great 4th.  I will do some more research and check out Don's new model.  I know Don flipped over the Spatial Audios when he got to listen to them.  I see also that some other folks really like the LTA Z40 reference.  So, I don't think I can go really go wrong as it appears they can all make sweet music through the X5s. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2021, 03:15 am »
The MP3  has the remote option, it is $900 as  it takes 12 hours of labor.  And you can add it to an existing MP-3.  I have a local friend that did that.