Bi-Wiring M3 Sapphire

catluck

Bi-Wiring M3 Sapphire
« on: 27 May 2021, 02:15 pm »
Although there has been discussion on this topic (Paul Speltz considering it; members all over the map), I've not seen any definitive comments re: wiring the tweeter directly from the amp or binding posts. Does any owner of the M3 Sapphires have any experience or knowledge about this? I recognize that the tweeter is, apparently, protected by a capacitor so I'm concerned about, potentially, damaging the unit if run directly from amp or binding posts, i.e., banana into binding post to tweeter. 

Don_S

Re: Bi-Wiring M3 Sapphire
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2021, 03:27 pm »
Edited for brevity:  I recognize that the tweeter is, apparently, protected by a capacitor so I'm concerned about, potentially, damaging the unit if run directly from amp or binding posts, i.e., banana into binding post to tweeter.

The tweeter isn't "apparently" protected by a capacitor, IT IS PROTECTED! Circumventing the capacitors (main and bypass) in the midrange/tweeter circuit is dangerous. The capacitors and their uf values in the Sapphire speakers are an evolution from no capacitors which was too often fatal to the drivers.

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2021, 10:46 pm »
 A capacitor in series with a tweeter is a xover.  It may be lower than the tweeter naturally goes but it's still a xover and offering protection.  Removing this from the circuit would mean
you're not protected at all and would certainly void your warrantee.  Just as a sidelight....Clayton had some of his Emerald Physics speaker designs set up for bi and even tri wiring.  But those designs are now about 12 or more years ago and at least 4 generations behind what he is producing now.
Add that to bi wiring being controversial in its advantages (I've done it in the past and never got a positive gain) and I'd leave things be... especially with speakers with high sensitivity.  If they were hard to drive then maybe.....
Just my 2 cents.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2021, 02:06 pm »
Hi, I tried that and I lost all uniformity between the top end and the woofers, it sounded like 2 different speakers playing mids and high and then woofers. So leave it as designed.

catluck

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2021, 01:04 pm »
Thanks so much all. I get it. I will be thrilled with the M3'ds AS IS.  I was just looking for guidance and I got it. Again, thank you all. Take care.