New Listinging Room

deauguie

New Listinging Room
« on: 26 Mar 2021, 09:35 pm »
Hi All...I’m about to move my listing room and looking for some advise from the ggroup .  My new room will be 12.25’ X 15.25’ X 7.34’ (W x L x W).  My plan is to set up the system on the short wall, using 4 - 2’ X 4’ absorbers on the side walls, with my listening chair about 3’ from the back wall.  My system consists of a pair of Decware 2wpc monoblocks, Decware HDT speakers, First Sound pre, Innous music server, and Denafrips Ares ll DAC.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Auguie

Bullitt5094

Re: New Listinging Room
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2021, 10:09 pm »
So I'll offer the first suggestion and stand by for the abuse.  :o

Basics to me are... Diffusion on the wall behind the speakers. Absorption on the rear wall. Bass traps in the corners. Experiment with diffusion or absorption at the first reflection points without overdoing it. My room actually images better with just carpet on the floor and no treatment at the first reflection points on the walls or ceilings. Experiment a LOT with the subwoofer position if you have one. Position speakers 3ft from all walls toed in a bit behind your seating position and then experiment with them. It will take a while.

There... Now I'll crawl into my foxhole.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2021, 10:53 pm »
I say just experiment and go with what sounds best to your ears. Have fun.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2021, 10:56 am »
My basement listening room is 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios) and I also use single driver floor standing loudspeakers (in a mid-field setup, 5.5ft from the front - narrow - wall).  Is your room well insulated (including ductwork and door)?  I use 10 GIK 244 2ft x 4ft absorption panels (6 full rangers at first all first reflection points and 4 bass traps straddling the front corners), 3 tall bookcases on side walls that serve as casual/adjustable diffusers, and 3 carefully placed subwoofers (read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to learn about inherent/severe in-room bass peaks/dips).

Agree, do experiment with placements.

deauguie

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2021, 01:06 pm »
Thanks for the responses all.  I agree that experimentation is the best starting place, and no Bullitt5094...no need to crawl into your foxhole!  I neglected to include the following in my original post.  I will be using 2-2’ x 4’ base traps (4” thick) in the corners behind the speakers, and I do have a single sub to augment the speakers.  I’ll also have an IKEA shelving unit (2) on one of the walls storing my records.  I’ll try to post some pics of my current room (14.25 X 15.25 X 7.34) to get a sense of what I’m working with.

Again, thanks for the responses.

deauguie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2021, 01:13 pm »
Gotta resize the images.  Stay tuned!

deauguie

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2021, 09:33 pm »
OK...here’s what I’m working with:

Well...I don’t understand why some of these pics are rotated, but this is the best I can do.  My sub, an SVS 2000 Pro, was not purchased yet when these pics were taken.  Hope this helps.

Auguie