X5 distance to front wall

mrotino332

X5 distance to front wall
« on: 2 Mar 2021, 03:07 pm »
Has anyone experimented with sound differences of the X series in relation to the front wall distance?  Mine are currently 4.5 feet from the front wall and I'm thinking of pulling them out another foot or so to determine whether there will be any sound differences.  Mine are in the basement which is uneven so it is a bit of a pain to pull them out and level them, etc. so just wondering if anyone has experimented with different distances to the front wall and give any insight as to the differences heard.  I'm thinking the bass may get a little louder and the depth of sound, ambience may expand a bit.  I know other factors such as front wall treatment would influence this as well.  My front wall has full corner traps in the corners and the middle of the front wall diffusion.

jjss49

Re: X5 distance to front wall
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2021, 04:20 pm »
4.5 ft is already alot... shouldn't need more... spatials should do fine with less actually

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2021, 04:34 pm »
5.5 ft or more is best with dipole and minimal treatment.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2021, 01:53 pm »
Every room is different. When you own any new speaker you have to play with them and learn how they work best in YOUR room. Take them back 6" and listen, use a recording with standup bass, listen for the changes in the bottom end. I use the Chesky System Demonstration disc. This has a stand-up bass track, a Sax track, one with horns and drums, and vocals. In one disc you have all the music you need to hear changes, and toe-in is another thing that is room dependent, 1/4" toe-in at a time, once you get a solid center imaging using a true mono recording, get that right the stereo image will be great. Another thing look at your room acoustics, which plays a major part in your sound quality. Clap your hands if you hear ringing, well that means your music is also.

bbybaudio

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2021, 09:20 pm »
X5s in 22X16X9 rm along long wall. They are 3.5 ft from back wall with diffuser panels behind each speaker and two diffuser panels behind listening area. Originally at 3 ft out the bass improved with just the 1/2 foot additional distance. My sense is that bass would improve again if I moved them a full four feet out.

abomwell

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2021, 11:57 am »
FWIW, Art Noxon, inventor of Tube Traps, suggests placing subs 29% of room's length, width and height for smoothest bass. If practical try placing them 29% into your room from the front wall.

Al