Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?

klooker

Re: Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?
« Reply #120 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:19 pm »
When my dad bought a Sony HP-610A and a set of headphones. The sound was so much better (and it would play louder) than the Magnavox console.

Thanks for letting me into the group. I'm hoping to find info about ACI Jaguar speakers.

Kevin Looker

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #121 on: 5 Dec 2021, 12:14 am »
Year of 1976, I was 12, my older friend played "Speed King" by Deep Purple.At that time, we had average stereo at home, but my parents seeing how much I love music, bought me really good system, I was 16.That, when the real hifi adventure began.Of course, I almost destroyed my hearing by headphones.Blasting metal really loud wasn't probably good idea.

GlassMirror

« Reply #122 on: 5 Dec 2021, 03:40 am »
When I was 8 years old I bought Magical Mystery Tour, Beatles in case you are from another world:)
That did not last long, though I still like the Beatles.
I was getting rather advanced in hard rock at such an early age because my friend's brother was in a band.

ReggieG

« Reply #123 on: 8 Jan 2022, 01:35 am »
The first time that the sound of music actually brought me to tears was listening to Wendy Carlos's "Switched on Brandenburg" ... listening in the dark, on a crappy stereo (and yes - totally straight). Sometime around my freshman year in college. Not that I didn't like music, buy albums, and listen to music before then (sang in HS chorus as well) - but that is the first time that LISTENING to music had that effect - so I guess it was my first true audiophile moment.

MikeInAustin

« Reply #124 on: 8 Jan 2022, 04:43 am »
1966.  I was six YO.  Mom brought me home from Tulsa Little Theatre rehearsal.  We walk in the house and Dad is sitting on the floor with a glass of whiskey in his hand listening to Take Five on his Jensen driven Dynaco.  I saw that and thought "that is what I want to be".

Craig B

« Reply #125 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:43 pm »
I listened to Thick as a Brick 1000 times too, and saw them on the 1972 Thick as a Brick tour, my favorite concert of all time. 49 years later I still listen to the album frequently, the Steven Wilson remaster sounds fantastic on a nice audio system.

I saw them on that tour, too, at the now-vanished Chicago Stadium. Fall of my freshman year in college.

Hithnic1973

« Reply #126 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:34 am »
Hello all, I am new to AudioCircle. My passion for becoming an audiophile began about 11 years ago when I moved on from home theater in a box and bought my first set of seperates.

catr

« Reply #127 on: 17 Jan 2022, 04:27 am »
love for music (unrequited) in teens
late 20s when the hand me down cheap system broke down
was the late 80s
yes i m old
...anyway...decided to get into proper hi-fi (regrets to this day...) and get into budget stuff and got a NAD amp and CD player

-sigh-
CDs made me chase for the kind of sound I already had from throwaway gear but from analog
well digital did get better, eventually.
40 years later.

Merryvale92

« Reply #128 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:25 am »
In the 70's. I was into the hard rock scene at that time and still am. I worked, saved and spent for a really decent system. 50's and 60's jazz came much later.

Thetrilliam

« Reply #129 on: 21 Jan 2022, 11:54 pm »
I went to festival for the first time and listened to g jones. Da bass struck my heart and sound design blew my mind. I was an audiophile ever since

Catharus

« Reply #130 on: 4 Feb 2022, 01:25 am »
CanJam 2019 in New York City had Innuos demo their different music servers with a stack of Chord TT2s. I donned a pair of Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow headphones and could stick the quarter inch plug into the different TT2s to hear the different servers. The sound was great out of all of them. It blew my mind that different digital sources could sound so different. I’ve been on a quest to replicate this feeling of being awestruck ever since.

DonaldK

« Reply #131 on: 4 Feb 2022, 07:03 am »
the passion hit my ears when I was introduced to the B&W 805D's.

christo

« Reply #132 on: 6 Feb 2022, 08:28 am »
Hi all, This is my first post so and this thread looked like a good way to introduce myself.

I've been a music lover all my life and I have worked in music in various capacities.

I didn't really become an audiophile, until recently. I never really could afford it.

The first system I remembered was my parents' Kenwood and these big speakers from a band called Swedish/Sweden <something?>. It got a serious workout in my teenage years.

When I moved out my first system was a hand me down amp and speakers that my parents owned in the 60s-70s. It looked really cool. That was fed by an entry level Pioneer DVD player (great sound!) and an extremely crap record player that I found in a back street. During a period of unemployent I moved back in with my parents and when I moved out again I discovered that they threw out that vintage amp ("it looked old").  :x

About five years or so ago I went to a local hifi shop where I demoed a Cambridge Audio Azur AM10. The sound out of that machine was so sweet and smooth. I was hooked!

I later got their CXU as well because I collect blu-rays as well as CDs and records.

I still love the CXU and AM10, (esp the CXU) but now that I can afford it I want to upgrade my system to something more substantial. Hence I've joined this group to read your comments and hopefully learn something new.

Nathan J

« Reply #133 on: 7 Feb 2022, 11:04 pm »
Hello All,
I'm new to Audio circle. I'm an audiophile and a DIYer in the North Dallas metro area.

I got hooked on Hifi at the age of 12 in the mid 80's I had an uncle that had a Counterpoint preamp, Adcom amp, and a set of Spendor speakers. I have no idea what his TT and CD player were at the time.
I do know that I had already spent my entire life listening to music (young parents into 60s and 70s rock) and that was the first time I ever experienced separation and soundstage. It was unreal to me. I was hooked. It took me a decade or more to even get a system that was a pale imitation of that system. I've been messing around with 2 channels and home theater ever since. I even worked in the industry for a while.

Nathan

TMon

« Reply #134 on: 11 Feb 2022, 10:39 pm »
My dad built a stereo in the early ‘60’s and loved playing Mitch Miller, Johnny Cash, Roger Miller, movie soundtracks—you get the picture. Shortly thereafter this 12 year old dropped the needle on his first LP, Jimi Hendrix’s Are You Experienced? Whoa, did that get the family’s attention!
I quickly saved up enough paper route money to buy a Radio Shack portable stereo and my dad helped me solder in a headphone jack. Haha, I wonder why!?
50+ years later, evolving up through systems here I am still enjoying Hendrix and so much other music.
Good audio, great pastime!

gthiel

« Reply #135 on: 24 Feb 2022, 03:55 pm »
when I was 4-5 years old, I fell in love with music along with all things electrical! The Rolling Stones' Get off of my cloud rocked my world.
Remember it's all about the tunes!
George

AllanS

« Reply #136 on: 25 Feb 2022, 05:55 pm »
Music in classical form has been a life long constant from childhood with my Mom having the radio always on and tuned to KKHI through today where it’s my constant work from home companion.  I can trace the passion back to a day in the early 70’s when my future and now ex brother in law gave me a few albums including Zeppelin 4 and Cream “Wheels of Fire”.

bigbirdwpg

« Reply #137 on: 2 Mar 2022, 02:39 pm »
When I was around 14 years old, my best friend's dad bought a console system.  One of those cabinets with a turntable and a radio and stereo speakers.  I remember listening to Roy Orbison singing "Sweet Dreams" on that system and thinking "wow".  Then the dad played some records with sound effects like thunder storms and steam trains with the sound approaching and then going by.  I was blown away with the realism.  I was hooked from then on.  I built speaker systems, built a 50 watt per channel integrated amp from Heathkit (it worked first try), designed and installed sound systems in every car I owned.  Now my system consists of: main speakers - the ME-2 designed by Lynn Olsen, a pair of large ported sub woofers using Adire Audio 12" Shiva drivers. The power is a Marantz SR7005 with a modified Marchand Bassis to shape and control the bass response of the subwoofers, each sub has a 300 watt plate amp.  The subs measure down to 16 hz (-6db) in my room. The center channel is the same as the main stereo speakers.  The rear speaker are ??, but are a three way with a 8" woofer mounted in the ceiling behind the listening area.  It's been a fun somewhat costly journey.  Fortunately at 78 years my hearing is still good. 

0.jim.0

« Reply #138 on: 13 Mar 2022, 06:52 pm »
For me it was a single stroke of lighting as you say.
I had a set of Harman Kardon HK3300 that I got at a garage sale and I was happy with that until one day I was cleaning and moving my speakers. When I unplugged the speaker they crossed, I think, and a puff of smoke came out of the HK. A stroke of lighting as you say.  I had left the HK turned on.  I took it to a local hifi shop and they said it wasn't worth the cost to repair it...why don't i browse their used room.

I have been buying and trading up from them ever sense.

johnkenyon

« Reply #139 on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:23 am »
The Audiophile Moment - passion struck first in a Radio Shack listening to a pair of realistic speakers. It grew through my brother's Sansui quadrophonic system and has been burning bright ever since.