Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?

klooker

Re: Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?
« Reply #120 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:19 pm »
When my dad bought a Sony HP-610A and a set of headphones. The sound was so much better (and it would play louder) than the Magnavox console.

Thanks for letting me into the group. I'm hoping to find info about ACI Jaguar speakers.

Kevin Looker

Mariusz Uszynski

• I love the sound of heavy metal in the morning.
« Reply #121 on: 5 Dec 2021, 12:14 am »
Year of 1976, I was 12, my older friend played "Speed King" by Deep Purple.At that time, we had average stereo at home, but my parents seeing how much I love music, bought me really good system, I was 16.That, when the real hifi adventure began.Of course, I almost destroyed my hearing by headphones.Blasting metal really loud wasn't probably good idea.

GlassMirror

« Reply #122 on: 5 Dec 2021, 03:40 am »
When I was 8 years old I bought Magical Mystery Tour, Beatles in case you are from another world:)
That did not last long, though I still like the Beatles.
I was getting rather advanced in hard rock at such an early age because my friend's brother was in a band.

ReggieG

« Reply #123 on: 8 Jan 2022, 01:35 am »
The first time that the sound of music actually brought me to tears was listening to Wendy Carlos's "Switched on Brandenburg" ... listening in the dark, on a crappy stereo (and yes - totally straight). Sometime around my freshman year in college. Not that I didn't like music, buy albums, and listen to music before then (sang in HS chorus as well) - but that is the first time that LISTENING to music had that effect - so I guess it was my first true audiophile moment.

MikeInAustin

« Reply #124 on: 8 Jan 2022, 04:43 am »
1966.  I was six YO.  Mom brought me home from Tulsa Little Theatre rehearsal.  We walk in the house and Dad is sitting on the floor with a glass of whiskey in his hand listening to Take Five on his Jensen driven Dynaco.  I saw that and thought "that is what I want to be".

Craig B

« Reply #125 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:43 pm »
I listened to Thick as a Brick 1000 times too, and saw them on the 1972 Thick as a Brick tour, my favorite concert of all time. 49 years later I still listen to the album frequently, the Steven Wilson remaster sounds fantastic on a nice audio system.

I saw them on that tour, too, at the now-vanished Chicago Stadium. Fall of my freshman year in college.

Hithnic1973

« Reply #126 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:34 am »
Hello all, I am new to AudioCircle. My passion for becoming an audiophile began about 11 years ago when I moved on from home theater in a box and bought my first set of seperates.

catr

« Reply #127 on: 17 Jan 2022, 04:27 am »
love for music (unrequited) in teens
late 20s when the hand me down cheap system broke down
was the late 80s
yes i m old
...anyway...decided to get into proper hi-fi (regrets to this day...) and get into budget stuff and got a NAD amp and CD player

-sigh-
CDs made me chase for the kind of sound I already had from throwaway gear but from analog
well digital did get better, eventually.
40 years later.