Speaker issue, mids and highs

john from seattle

Speaker issue, mids and highs
« on: 15 Aug 2004, 02:28 am »
Hi, new here, but not so new to audio, been around another sight for several years, but stopped visiting and posting nearly 2 years ago when things went down hill in a serious way. That and my life took a severe curve ball to say the least. The site is AA, and I'll just leave it at that. Some here will recognize it.

Anyhoo, my system then, as now consists of a very modest low end Kenwood semi auto belt drive table from the mid 80's, a Sherwood receiver, mid 90's, a Denon DCM-270 CD changer with Burr Brown DACS and HDCD decoding (purchased in '99) an old Pioneer CT-30, I think it was cassette deck that died and a pair of vintage Sansui SP-1700 3 way speakers, ca. 1973 or so, all cone drivers, 2, 2" cone tweeters, 2, 4" cone mids and a 12" woofer in a ported bass cabinet

In the spring of 2002, all got put into storage except for what I took with me, left Seattle for LA to try and find work and after 2 years in storage,  and back in Seattle, it's all set up again.

However, I should also say that I have another pair of Sansui speakers, the SP-3000, ca. 1970-71 that my Dad bought in Japan, just before retiring from the Air Force. They are a 4 way speaker with 2 horns, one a super tweeter, the other is a larger upper mid horn, 2 smaller cone tweeters, a 6.5" cone mid and a heavy 15" woofer in a similar ported cabinet of nearly the same size.

Problem is, the system, no matter what, runs on the bright side, other than the CDP, which is on the darkish side. With the 1700's all cone configuration, it was not bad at all, however, with the current 3000's in place, the mids and highs are often glaring and jaring and the whole system sounds on the hard side than before. Enough so that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. And that was after turning down the adjustment controls the mids and highs in the back to compensate.

Now, I live in a 1960 vintage apartment with w/w carpeting and the stereo sits on the long wall, with one speaker in a corner, the other in front of glass (the fixed part of the slider), due to the sectional sofa, and the radiator that is on the end wall of the living/dining room, which is approx 11.5x19 Ft.

I should also state I'm running an Ortofon OM-10 cartridge in the table which does emphasise the highs in and of itself, especially on brightly recorded vinyl.

Now, I know, from talking to an audio buddy of mine who is very familiar with these speakers that the crossovers may need rebuilding, due to age, other than that, got any suggestions on taming these horns?

When they were in my Dad's system, which had the same vintage Sansui 3000 receiver, I never noticed this problem then.

One last thing, tone controls are in neutral on the receiver so that isn't the problem. Sorry for the long post, had to set things up to assist.

Thanks in advance.