Digital Cable Lengths for BDP-1 to DAC - A Comparison

bentconvert

Re: Digital Cable Lengths for BDP-1 to DAC - A Comparison
« Reply #60 on: 5 Jul 2017, 02:50 am »
If one were to experiment with long digital cable, 16 -20ft, what is the proper way to layout the cable if components are close together? :scratch: I have heard that coiling speaker cable is not good for inductance reasons. Is that a problem with digital cables? It seem like the only practical way to deal with such a length.

zoom25

« Reply #61 on: 5 Jul 2017, 03:08 am »
If one were to experiment with long digital cable, 16 -20ft, what is the proper way to layout the cable if components are close together? :scratch: I have heard that coiling speaker cable is not good for inductance reasons. Is that a problem with digital cables? It seem like the only practical way to deal with such a length.

I leave mine jumbled on top of my rack. It never touches any other component, floor, or gets anywhere close to power cables.

Instead of doing 4 feet or 10 feet, I have been going back and forth between 2 feet and 18 feet. The 18 is more 3D sounding on the Amphion and with no harshness. Yet still with precision. Since I don't have any tools, all I can do is listen critically and take notes and draw diagrams.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #62 on: 5 Jul 2017, 03:16 am »
A SPDIF is a shielded coax, you can place it anywhere you want. You can coil a twisted pair speaker cable no inductance problems. However with a spaced pair speaker cable, a perfect coil could have problems, but a jumble coil won't. You could tape a SPDIF cable to a power cord if you wish. In live sound pro audio, you might want too.

srb

« Reply #63 on: 5 Jul 2017, 03:35 am »
I have a 16ft S/PDIF coax cable coiled and as long as you don't kink or bend it, it's fine.  Manufacturers specify the minimum bend radius on their data sheets, for my Belden 89259 it's 2.5", and I have it coiled with a 3.5" radius (7" diameter coil) secured with Velcro ties.

Steve

zoom25

« Reply #64 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:50 am »
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2018, 05:42 am by zoom25 »