Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling in New York City
« Reply #60 on: 20 Aug 2009, 11:57 pm »
Done!  Stickyd'  :thumb:

Show us your Bicycle.  It should be taken from the side just like Lyndon's picture. ;)

To limit uncessary pictures.  Please post only your bicycle.

--Levi

Don_S

« Reply #61 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:05 am »
Levi,  Great looking ride.  Shame to get it dirty........but if you do, I recommend Lemon Pledge to get it gleaming again.  Works great on my Merlin.  I think I bought the last pump spray bottle ever made.  All I can find now are aerosol cans.  Works ok though.  I spray a small, soft cloth; not my bike.  Only takes a couple of minutes extra work after washing and my ride looks like new. It also helps keep new dirt from sticking and takes off any lube stains I missed.

Levi

« Reply #62 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:16 am »
Hi Don.  Thank you for the bike complement.  Great polishing tip aswell.  ;)   

--Levi

Lyndon

« Reply #63 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:06 am »
Jim,
I love your Bridgestone 450 set up with the moustache handlebars and Brooks with bag.
I have 3 Brooks saddles and may pick up another one this weekend.  They are a bitch to break in, but when they are...
Is that bag a Carradice?
Levi, that beautiful Beasley is not mine.  That is a custom build by DeeEight over at the mtbr.com
forum.  He just loves getting the frame, and letting his imagination roam.
Then he gets bored and sells it and does the whole thing again.  Kind of like Top Round with his short fling with single drivers. :lol:
Here is DeeEight's newest build, a 29'er, but I like the Beasley, and will keep a lookout for one at the end of the season.

And if you like a well lugged steel bike,
Richard Moon does a nice job

And so does Vanilla Bicycles in Portland
Custom Made Touring bike, 2 year waiting list on certain models

I love the leather pocket for extra spokes

Levi

« Reply #64 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:08 am »
Eye candies!

Thanks Lyndon.  :thumb:

SET Man

Re: Mountain Biking in New York City
« Reply #65 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:11 am »

Do you still have your Klein mtn bike?

Hey!

Yeah, I still have it. It is an all aluminum Klein "Pulse Pro" from '97 I think.  I want to ship it to my brother in San Diego. There are lots of place for MTB there. :D But I haven't done so yet.  :roll: I don't know. Anyway, it will need a total overhaul if I'm going to ride it again.  :icon_lol:

.... Buddy, you are into Kleins, I remember seeing a lime color Klein MTB hanging in Seinfeld's apartment, besides that, I actually saw a Klein from the Seinfeld era in my best friend from college's house.  It was hanging in the garage next to a RSX Type S and a Acura TL Type S...People all their mechanical toys. 

I like it. :green:

Yeah, I think many learn about Klein bike from Seinfeld....

That's the best I could find off the net. Anyway, it is quite interesting that they don't use a more popular brands like Trek... actually for a short time they did have Canondale hanging there but I believe they when back to Klein again. I think after the show was over they saved those set and put it in museum of TV and Radio in Queens. Not sure if this set is there now, if so you might see that bike still there. Not sure what model that bike is  :scratch:

Yes I do like Klein... but honestly I don't have much exprience with bicycle like some of you people here :wink: But yes, if I were to buy a new bike I will definitely look at Klein first. :D But I have no idea how the company is doing now. Well, it was bought by Trek a while back.

Anyway, here is my Road Bike Klein '04 "Aura V" ....

Nothing fancy here. Mostly Aluminum. Basic 9sp Shimano 105 and Tiagra components.

Well, with all the pictures of bikes posted here so far made my bike look a plain vanilla  :icon_lol: Some nice bike you guys have here. :D Haven't fool around with it much. Just a new carbon bottle holder and carbon seat.

So, since this is now about bike in general. I have to say that after exprience with both MTB and Road bike. I have to say that I like ride my road bike more than the MTB here in NYC of which I would ride in Central Park and on some dedicated bike path like on West Side highway mostly, and sometime on the street but rarely.

I don't know it got different feel to it. I guess I like the feel of road bike more and that feel of speed and that responsiveness with my road bike. Of course if I live near a mountain than maybe I will be riding the MTB more. :D

Anyway, if any of you NYAR Raver wanna go for a bike ride around Central Park and the city let me know. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #66 on: 22 Aug 2009, 03:31 pm »
Hey Buddy, if you need help tuning your mountain bike, I have most of the tools to get it in good shape. Basically pump up the tires, clean/lube the chain, adjust the brakes and put air on the shocks and it should be good to go. I think you should keep the bike if you have space for biking around the neghboorhood leisurely. While your road bike is for going to the park and long distance.   

zacster

« Reply #67 on: 24 Aug 2009, 02:11 am »
Here's another take on Klein.  He was from Centralia or Chehalis Washington.  His shop was on the route of the Seattle to Portland double century that was one of the most popular rides in the country, and still is I think, but he wanted nothing to do with any of it.  He wouldn't sponsor it or lend his name to it in any way.

He was also very bitter about the fact that Cannondale started building fat tube aluminum frames, which were his specialty when nobody else was doing it.

JoshK

« Reply #68 on: 24 Aug 2009, 02:23 am »
Here's another take on Klein.  He was from Centralia or Chehalis Washington. 

That is where my Grandmother lives.  Been many many times to Centralia but never noticed a bike shop.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #69 on: 25 Aug 2009, 06:06 am »
Here's a bike event that I came across tonight... :thumb:

Tour de Bronx.......Sunday, October 18th.

WGH

« Reply #70 on: 25 Aug 2009, 03:09 pm »
Lucas Brunelle has some NYC bicycling videos on his site including "Rumble Through the Bronx" and "Drag Race NYC".
Take a look if you like extreme bike videos taken with a helmet cam.

http://www.digave.com/index.html

Wayne

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Mountain Biking in New York City
« Reply #71 on: 25 Aug 2009, 04:48 pm »
Martin...

Maybe you could get one of these to go mountaineering with the guys.... :jester:

Count me in, Chris, in that "bike" above.  Who's driving/peddling?  A/C's supposed to be audio, not biking, or air conditioning, isn't it?  Just kidding!!!! :lol: :P :D 8) aa 

Shek

SET Man

« Reply #72 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:59 am »
Hey Buddy, if you need help tuning your mountain bike, I have most of the tools to get it in good shape. Basically pump up the tires, clean/lube the chain, adjust the brakes and put air on the shocks and it should be good to go. I think you should keep the bike if you have space for biking around the neghboorhood leisurely. While your road bike is for going to the park and long distance.

Hey!

Thanks but it will need more than a complete tuning... it needs a good shower too! That's something that is not easy to do in an NYC apartment's bathroom, not to mention that I will probably clogged up the drain pipe doing that.  :? I will have to see what to do with it.

Here's another take on Klein.  He was from Centralia or Chehalis Washington.  His shop was on the route of the Seattle to Portland double century that was one of the most popular rides in the country, and still is I think, but he wanted nothing to do with any of it.  He wouldn't sponsor it or lend his name to it in any way.

He was also very bitter about the fact that Cannondale started building fat tube aluminum frames, which were his specialty when nobody else was doing it.

I did not know that part. But I've always like the way Klein bikes look. :D

Lucas Brunelle has some NYC bicycling videos on his site including "Rumble Through the Bronx" and "Drag Race NYC".
Take a look if you like extreme bike videos taken with a helmet cam.

http://www.digave.com/index.html

Wayne

Man! These guys are insane! But than again that what those bike messengers do everyday at work  :o

Well, I'm not that brave or should I say crazy on my bike when I'm on the street of NYC  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: 

toobluvr

« Reply #73 on: 26 Aug 2009, 12:51 pm »

When I lived in Manhattan, I cleaned my road bike in the shower / bathtub.  Just pop off the wheels and it fits easily.

But of course, you then have a greasy tub to clean.  Life in the big city is rough!

Levi

« Reply #74 on: 26 Aug 2009, 01:15 pm »
That is a great idea with the tub. If iam going to clean the bike indoors specially winter time, I normally use towel and Maguire detailer. I always remove the chain and clean that separately on the kitchen sink. :) .  If it is really muddy, or you ran over dog pile it has to be cleaned ouside. :lol:  Waterless cleaning mostly does the job for me.   

Levi

« Reply #75 on: 26 Aug 2009, 03:00 pm »
The gear system specially the 9sp mountain bike cog  is the hardest to clean.  City bikes just have to worry about their chains. Dry lube helps.     

mjosef

« Reply #76 on: 26 Aug 2009, 03:15 pm »
Bike baths??? Oh the horrors.
Why clean it if its going to get dirty again? I never cleaned/bathed my bike...this is NYC, not the suburbs.
Well, unless you are maybe going to a bike rally to pose...then yeah.

" hey look, he is riding a 'dirty' bike"...you won't hear that in the City.  :lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #77 on: 26 Aug 2009, 03:56 pm »
That is a great idea with the tub. If iam going to clean the bike indoors specially winter time, I normally use towel and Maguire detailer. I always remove the chain and clean that separately on the kitchen sink. :) .  If it is really muddy, or you ran over dog pile it has to be cleaned ouside. :lol:  Waterless cleaning mostly does the job for me.

Hey Levi....

Do me a favor and don't tell you wife I made the tub suggestion.  It leaves quite a mess....especially if you de-grease the chain and coggs!

:surrender:

:lol:

Levi

« Reply #78 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:01 pm »
I know exactly what you mean.  Not to mention it leaves a film of grease that's hard to remove. :lol:  Busted!  :duh:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #79 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:34 pm »
This topic was partial inspiration for me to go out and buy my first bike (last week) in decades.  Lotsa' good weather here - don't know what the heck took me so long except procrastination.

Thx to all, John  :thumb: