Anyone have direct experience with Pontus II 12th DAC? Impressions welcome.

geowak

I want to upgrade my DAC from a Bifrost Uber to another external DAC. I am looking for a more analog sound with less high to mid freq harshness at higher volumes. Does anyone have hands on experience with the Pontus II 12th anniversary DAC? I had the HiFi Rose RS150 but didn't like the user interface or internet connection (drop outs). For now ..I would be using it with a Bluesound Node 2 (with PD Creative power supply) or Vault 2. I know that some will say the Bluesound is not an adequate streamer for this DAC, but after trying several others, the only thing I might do after I try another DAC is upgrade to the most current version of the Bluesound.

richidoo

Pontus more detailed than Bifrost, and more refined, but if the harshness is coming from something else other than Bifrost the Pontus will make it even more obvious. That said, better source is always better, but it usually triggers cascade of upgrades to make the rest of the system keep up. Upgrade one, upgrade all.  Schiit is not the ultimate refinement or detail but not known for harshness, so Im not convinced thats the cause.

Usually treble harshness is cheap series cap in crossover.
Usually midrange harshness like peaky flutes and piano is caused by room reflections from the front wall, ceiling and especially the tricorners above front wall.

Denafrips stuff is very good quality and great sound.

geowak

richidoo thanks for the tip. I will do some more homework to
isolate the problem.

I.Greyhound Fan

I would consider the Yggdrasil or a used PS Audio Direct Stream.

WGH

I haven't heard a Pontus II 12th DAC, the insides look fantastic and it has rave reviews. How it sounds is more important than measurements but when spending $2449.00 you should only accept excellence.

Golden Sound has measurements:
https://goldensound.audio/2023/01/08/denafrips-pontus-2-12th-anniversary-edition-measurements/

"This shows that the DAC is unfortunately NOT actually NOS, but instead oversampling in a way that mimics a NOS output.
Similar things are done on the RME ADI-2’s ‘NOS’ filter for example (though they’re quite transparent in the manual about what that filter is.)
I now have a higher bandwidth oscilloscope and if I get a 12th Anniversary DAC back in I’ll do some further testing.

"Does this matter?
It depends.
From an audible standpoint? Likely not. I can’t imagine the difference between genuine NOS and ZOH Oversampling at 768khz or higher is going to be audible so long as other forms of DSP and dithering are absent.

"But no matter how inconsequential or unimportant something might be, don’t lie to your customers!
"

Clink on link for charts and more measurements.
https://goldensound.audio/2023/01/08/denafrips-pontus-2-12th-anniversary-edition-measurements/

The HoloAudio DACs (Spring and May) have better measurements at a slight price increase, these two DACs are true NOS which will give you a truer analog sound. Also because all true NOS DACs use analog filters the high frequency roll off starts sooner than a DAC that oversamples, which will help with high to mid freq harshness.

Stereophile measured the HoloAudio May KTE DAC
https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurements

Fig.7 HoloAudio May, NOS mode, frequency response at –12dBFS into 100k ohms with data sampled at: 44.1kHz (left channel green, right gray), 96kHz (left cyan, right magenta), and 192kHz (left blue, right red) (0.5dB/vertical div.).

Using a computer based music server to convert PCM to DSD256 using HQPlayer will also mitigate harshness but that's another ball game.

I am biased. I use both the HoloAudio May and HQPlayer and find the sound flawless.

Early B.

I've owned the Pontus II, Venus II, and now the Terminator II. The Pontus is a solid performer. It will be tough to find anything better for the price. 

Rusty Jefferson

Have a look at the Lampizator dacs. They tend to be quite smooth in general, and can be tube rolled to meet your needs.

SlushPuppy

I upgraded my Pontus II last night to the 12th anniversary firmware that was just released. A bit of a process as you have to send them a high rez photo of your FPGA chip before they send you a download link, but there is a noticeable improvement across the board. Stand up bass sounds incredible! I highly recommend the update when it's available for your model.

dhoperos

Safe to assume that I should pick up a used Pontus II over a new Aries II 12th?

SlushPuppy

Safe to assume that I should pick up a used Pontus II over a new Aries II 12th?

Absolutely! Upgrading it to the new firmware (if not already done) is pretty straightforward. Just a bit time consuming as you're dealing with customer support in Singapore and you have to interact with them twice during the upgrade. Once for the firmware request and again for verification that you've been upgraded.