Speaker kit assembly in NYC-area?

JDUBS

Speaker kit assembly in NYC-area?
« on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:38 pm »
Hey guys

I posed a question about cabinet building a while back.  Roman (from the PartsExpress forums) did an amazing job...but he's tied up and can't help me w/ what I want to do now, which is to get two of these put together and coated in a few coats of Duratex:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-12/fusion12-kit.html

+

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/tempest-flat-pack.html

I mean, I would do it myself I just have zero space.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jim

richidoo

Re: Speaker kit assembly in NYC-area?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:06 pm »
I built a pair of these for a friend a few years ago. He still loves them. They are pretty big and heavy so a local woodworker would be best to avoid shipping costs.

Internal bracing helps a lot, especially bracing front thin piece of wood between the drivers to the back panel. Killing panel resonance is always helpful too because the woofer plays up pretty high and the rear wave touches every panel. I like to use double layer of plywood+MDF glued together with green glue, plus corner and cross bracing. Front baffle size should remain as designed for the crossover integrity, but the box depth can increase if you need to maintain internal volume while using thicker walls.

The molded SEOS-12 horn throat is not perfectly round and has slightly rough edges. These flaws can be seen as a FR anomaly around 8kHz, but I could never hear it. It might be worth smoothing them out before mounting to the CD. Make sure the CD exit is perfectly concentric with the horn throat before tightening the bolts. Enjoy!!

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2018, 06:49 pm »
I'm in a similar boat. I have the Fusion 12 Tempest kit, but I didn't order the flat pack back when I got it, and now since it's out of stock, gotta figure out a way to build a good box.

I do have the space, but not the tools. Maybe I should just sell the kit. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2018, 02:58 am »
Post something over on the GR Research Circle, there are a few people who might be willing to do this for you.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:40 am »
Post something over on the GR Research Circle, there are a few people who might be willing to do this for you.

Will do...thank you for the tip!

-Jim